Appic internship match - is there a better way? is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkPearl3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for looking at this thread. I am a 3rd or 4th year student I guess (PsyD program and have completed academic work and dissertation defense). I am slowly starting to loose my mind because it is the end of May and I have not yet secured an internship site for the upcoming academic year. Yes I have to admit that I have been picky in applying to only APA accredited programs, because I would like to work for the VA and as academic faculty in the future and those positions require APA accredited training apparently.

I've been much of a perfectionist and managed to maintain a 3.9 gpa and many hours of experience, but have not found the position. Is anyone in the same or similar situation? Any suggestions of avenues I may try or improvements? Is there any other way to look for an accredited site other than on the APPIC site (since it's been about 3 weeks since a new site has been added to the clearinghouse list)? I'm feeling pretty down and just need a few words from someone who has been in this situation before.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What are your plans if this were not to work out? If I'm reading this correctly you're a 3rd/4th year student. Perhaps another year will make you more competitive in terms of hours, pubs, etc.

I'm planning on increasing hours at work (I work as a college instructor), possibly publishing some independent research, and try to work some additional hours as an "independent business entity" because since I'm done with coursework, I will not be allowed loans. In January, I will begin work on a post doctoral master's program. So I will keep myself occupied but it's so difficult to get over this, I've been in this stage of heightened stress since this application process began. I think it's more of the ambiguity involved and the fact that my degree is contingent upon completion of a 4th year internship.