Apple Stock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard the same comments when I bought the stock 300 points ago. You were wrong then just as you are wrong now. AAPLE will be back at $750 by the end of the next quarter if Mitt Romney wins the Presidency.

The whole stock market's going to have a rising stockgasm (for a little while at least) if Romney is elected. But if that's what you're counting on, what you're doing is betting on Romney getting elected, not betting on a stock.

Speculating on hot stocks and market momentum isn't for me.

I just have to believe that there is nothing that you know about Apple, or that you think you know about Apple, that everybody else in the market doesn't also know (or think). All of that future growth and sales and iDevice hype is factored into today's stock price. It may go up, it may go down. It's the fervor of certainty that makes me :eyebrow: every time I open this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

The whole stock market's going to have a rising stockgasm (for a little while at least) if Romney is elected. But if that's what you're counting on, what you're doing is betting on Romney getting elected, not betting on a stock.

Speculating on hot stocks and market momentum isn't for me.

I just have to believe that there is nothing that you know about Apple, or that you think you know about Apple, that everybody else in the market doesn't also know (or think). All of that future growth and sales and iDevice hype is factored into today's stock price. It may go up, it may go down. It's the fervor of certainty that makes me :eyebrow: every time I open this thread.

Conviction is important when buying and owning stocks. That said, the key is to recognize when you are wrong and the stock is broken. The market routinely misprices the value of stocks because it is fickle. If they love you then the stock sells for ridiculous multiples like Amazon.com or Salesforce. If they hate you then you get a single low digit PE ratio.

One thing I can tell you for certain is that the stock market is anything but rational or certain

542 right now? Down >20% from it's peak. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
def. on sale... but I'm waiting as it will drop more before it picks up again (I think).

Fiscal cliff is in the way. Germany is showing signs of slowing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/t...ducts-are-questioned.html?ref=technology&_r=0

1) Anticipated increase in cap gains to 20%
2) Overhauled product line
3) Uncertain leadership

"The bears think Apple is in the eighth inning," Mr. Rolfe said. "We think they're still in the fourth or fifth inning."

My family just bought 3 new phones: Iphone 5. In addition, we will be getting more Apple products this Christmas including an Ipad, another I phone, etc. Plus, we are buying hundreds of dollars of Apple accessories

It's demise is vastly over-rated as record breaking profits are likely next quarter.

Risks in investment come in two forms: Systematic risks and non-systematic risks. Systematic risks are those factors that affect the entire market. For examples, interest rate and inflation are systematic risks. Non-systematic risks are those that are associated with individual securities or a particular sector. Examples of such risks: fraud, insider-trading, mismanagement and accounting scandal.

It has been researched that there is no reward for non-systematic risks. As an example, investing in a single stock has a high non-systematic risk. In the event of fraud or mismanagement, the price of the stock could plunge or even be suspended from trading. In other words, the downside risk is so much that it could result in a very large lost. While insider trading is illegal in most countries, conventional wisdom tells us that this still occurs. Therefore, investors are always at the disadvantaged.

On the other hand, there is reward in systematic risk. The high risk due to such risk tends to produce high return on a long term basis. However, this does not mean that systematic risk guarantees corresponding high reward.

Non-systematic risks can be eliminated through diversification. Consider this: if one would to invest in 100 securities and if investment in one of the securities incurs total lost, the entire portfolio lost is only 1%. Non-systematic risk tends to occur in narrowly diversified sector. For example, technology sector tends to be influenced by the few very large and influential companies.

One would think that investment returns among individual stocks are normally distributed- They are not. FAR MORE THAN 50% OF COMPANIES UNDERPERFORM THEIR BENCHMARK.

A way to illustrate this: Think of a Microsoft after it just went public. Part of a Microcap index at the bottom of the index in terms of market cap. As its market cap increased, and it graduated form the microcap index to a small cap index, it was responsible for a disproportionate share of the return of the index. The same is true as it graduated from small cap to mid cap index, etc.

I don't remember the exact figure but something like 10% of companies are responsible for half of an index's returns.

AAPL: Love the company. Love the products. Agnostic on the stock price. I don't know anything that the market doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family just bought 3 new phones: Iphone 5. In addition, we will be getting more Apple products this Christmas including an Ipad, another I phone, etc. Plus, we are buying hundreds of dollars of Apple accessories

It's demise is vastly over-rated as record breaking profits are likely next quarter.

Your personal anecdotes aren't followed by Wall Street. What you purchase is practically irrelevant. I bought 2 5's, looking at an iPad Mini, and will be getting a laptop early next year. Doesn't mean the stock is going up.

Did you predict this drop in the stock? Leadership reshuffling? Are you certain the current leadership will continue to churn out relevant, well-timed product releases that are welcomed by the public?

I've been following Apple long enough to understand, at least historically, that the brand is sustained by Steve Jobs and his hand-picked team. Without him, I couldn't say with any certainty the future is as rosy as you predict. I'll keep buying products for now, but that doesn't mean the stock will hit $750.

Your personal anecdotes aren't followed by Wall Street. What you purchase is practically irrelevant. I bought 2 5's, looking at an iPad Mini, and will be getting a laptop early next year. Doesn't mean the stock is going up.

Did you predict this drop in the stock? Leadership reshuffling? Are you certain the current leadership will continue to churn out relevant, well-timed product releases that are welcomed by the public?

I've been following Apple long enough to understand, at least historically, that the brand is sustained by Steve Jobs and his hand-picked team. Without him, I couldn't say with any certainty the future is as rosy as you predict. I'll keep buying products for now, but that doesn't mean the stock will hit $750.

When you see everyone around you buying Apple products and upgrading to the iPhone 5 you know the company is still firing on all cylinders. Even the Chinese like Apple products rather than the cheaper knock-offs.

As for long term (greater than 3 years) I have no idea where the stock is going. But, over the next 24 months Apple revenue and sales look strong.

We are raising our fair value estimate to $770 per share from $670, based on improved long-term growth assumptions. This fair value estimate implies fiscal 2013 (ending September 2013) price/earnings of 15 times, enterprise value/EBITDA of 11 times, and a 6.5% free cash flow yield. Given the success of the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and "new iPad" to date, we project 45% revenue growth in fiscal 2012. We expect Apple's momentum to continue in the near to intermediate term and project 21% sales growth in fiscal 2013 and 17% in 2014.

When you see everyone around you buying Apple products and upgrading to the iPhone 5 you know the company is still firing on all cylinders. Even the Chinese like Apple products rather than the cheaper knock-offs.

As for long term (greater than 3 years) I have no idea where the stock is going. But, over the next 24 months Apple revenue and sales look strong.

Dude, no one doubts that apple will sell products tomorrow or next month or the year after that. That is not a valid argument to invest or not invest in a product, it's just a start. A good investment is combination of a good company and a good price.

Ask yourself this, what do you know about apple that everyone else in the market doesn't? Do you think you are the only person in america who has noticed that we are still buying iPhones? Do you believe that the world believes that people will stop buying iPhones and iPads in the near future and that's why the stock dropped? That's one view but I feel it is unlikely. My opinion, like doze's is that this stock was overpriced based on expectations over future sales and while sales were strong, they were unable to meet their own expectations.

Looking at the charts you can see an unsustainable uptrend from Februrary through November and the bottom was just waiting to drop out which happened. We are finally getting back to the trendline but I wouldn't invest until the stock starts to get some support somewhere around 515, if it breaks that point look for support around 470. Still with the passing of Steve Jobs and the latest round or products being meh, I wouldn't expect returns like we saw over the last 10 years going forward

I didn't buy a new iphone. I went from an old iphone to a moto with android about a month ago. Don't regret it a bit.

We are raising our fair value estimate to $770 per share from $670, based on improved long-term growth assumptions. This fair value estimate implies fiscal 2013 (ending September 2013) price/earnings of 15 times, enterprise value/EBITDA of 11 times, and a 6.5% free cash flow yield. Given the success of the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and "new iPad" to date, we project 45% revenue growth in fiscal 2012. We expect Apple's momentum to continue in the near to intermediate term and project 21% sales growth in fiscal 2013 and 17% in 2014.

If people are basing stock purchases on estimates of future revenue/growth, they are taking a wild ass stab in the dark and will be wrong roughly 50% of the time. Looking at people's "projections" in hindsight is always fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband bought apple stock with his bar mitzvah money in 1993 because he was an early apple junkie at age 13. He still has it. And it split twice

It's nice having returns in the many thousands of percent.

My husband bought apple stock with his bar mitzvah money in 1993 because he was an early apple junkie at age 13. He still has it. And it split twice

That is excellent for him with that small sum of cash, but hardly investment advice for someone in the future. Nice that he held on after it did so poorly for so many years. From Jan 93 to Dec 2003, it was down 50% overall (even after a 2:1 split). zero return for a decade could be tough for a young investor. Really only in the last 3-5 years has it done well.

That is excellent for him with that small sum of cash, but hardly investment advice for someone in the future. Nice that he held on after it did so poorly for so many years. From Jan 93 to Dec 2003, it was down 50% overall (even after a 2:1 split). zero return for a decade could be tough for a young investor. Really only in the last 3-5 years has it done well.

I understand Apple is a growth stock and as such, it will poop out eventually. If you believe the iPhone 5 is the last good, new product from the company then either sell the stock or avoid it. I think Apple is in the midpoint of its growth cycle so the stock is a buy here for the next 24 months.

I will be exiting my Apple position next year or in 2014 at the latest because growth will likely slow down and innovation is no sure thing without Jobs.

Everyone always remembers their winners. They also boast about them. Just like everybody who I have ever known who goes to las vegas either won or at worst broke even.

Everyone always remembers their winners. They also boast about them. Just like everybody who I have ever known who goes to las vegas either won or at worst broke even.

I remember every Loser and the pain with that loss. Losing money while a painful event makes you a better investor. There is no reward without risk but that risk must be mitigated.

I consider myself a value investor and Apple is a buy here according to those metrics.

I've never met a losing poker player in my life :laugh:

I understand Apple is a growth stock and as such, it will poop out eventually. If you believe the iPhone 5 is the last good, new product from the company then either sell the stock or avoid it. I think Apple is in the midpoint of its growth cycle so the stock is a buy here for the next 24 months.

I will be exiting my Apple position next year or in 2014 at the latest because growth will likely slow down and innovation is no sure thing without Jobs.

If iphone 5 is the last good new product, do just sell apple , short it.

I remember every Loser and the pain with that loss. Losing money while a painful event makes you a better investor. There is no reward without risk but that risk must be mitigated.

I consider myself a value investor and Apple is a buy here according to those metrics.

Apple is a borderline buy stock as a value. Definitely not a growth stock, too big for that. But at it's current price, it's price to earnings and price to book ratios are still attractive compared to the rest of the industry.

Don't bet on any future growth and it still has a massive revenue stream and no longterm debt and is a valuable company.

I know a librarian who got a royal flush on video poker in Reno and won $14,000 once.

I suspect many of the early Apple cultists were investing for their belief in the company rather than their hope for a return.

Here's to believing.

I suspect many of the early Apple cultists were investing for their belief in the company rather than their hope for a return.

Here's to believing.

People can believe in whatever they want. That's just not a good strategy to live by for investing for retirement. In fact, it's not really an investment at all as an investment implies a real chance at appreciation in value.

If iphone 5 is the last good new product, do just sell apple , short it.

The iPhone 5 has one major weakness: short battery life. But, after going online and making adjustments my iPhone 5 will now last as long as my 4s before needing a recharge.

The iPhone 5 is a better phone than the 4S and IMHO, better than the Galaxy 3. Even if you don't Agree others will feel the same as I do which is why Apple still has room to run

The Winners Curse: Too Big to Succeed?

Robert D. Arnott
Research Affiliates, LLC

Lillian Jing Wu
University of California, Los Angeles - Anderson School of Business; Research Affiliates, LLC

June 20, 2012

Abstract:
Much ink has been spilled on the perils of allowing some companies to become "too big to fail." This assumes that governments, hence taxpayers, must foot the bill when these Top Dogs become seriously ill, while reinforcing a view that the Top Dogs, whose failure might do systemic damage, should be heavily regulated to mitigate the damage that they might cause. The flip side of this view receives scant attention: companies can become "too big to succeed."

Indeed, the "too big to fail" ethos may create headwinds for these self-same companies that can impede their continuing success. When you are #1, you have a bright bull's-eye painted on your back. Governments and pundits are gunning for you. Competitors and resentful customers are gunning for you. Indeed, in a world of fierce competition and serial witch hunts in the halls of government, that target is probably painted on your front and sides too. In a world that generally roots for the underdog, hardly anyone outside of your own enterprise is cheering for you to rise from world-beating success to still-loftier success.

For investors, Top Dog status — the #1 company, by market capitalization, in each sector or market — is dismayingly unattractive. We find a statistically significant tendency for top companies in each sector to underperform both the overall sector and the stock market as a whole. In an earlier U.S.-only study, we found that 59% of these Top Dogs underperformed their own sector in the next year, and two-thirds lagged their sector over the next decade. We found a daunting magnitude of average underperformance, averaging between 300 and 400 bps per year, over the next 1 to 10 years.

In this study, we have broadened the test to examine whether the "Top Dog" phenomenon is prevalent elsewhere. We find the same phenomenon in each and every market, with no exceptions. Indeed, outside the United States, the Sector Top Dogs generally underperform their own sector even more relentlessly than in the United States!

It would appear that our Top Dogs, the most beloved and winningest companies in each sector or country, are typically punished — often severely — in subsequent market action.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2088515

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a nice run back up to 590, now back to 540. Biggest one day drop in a year. -6% today.

I think it's time to buy, not sell.

I'm thinking the same, but I'm going to let it settle out a little. China ipad minis were not received well. Iphone 5 hits china dec. 15th. I might do something around that time as apple just went through the death cross and is usually a bad signal.

I'm thinking the same, but I'm going to let it settle out a little. China ipad minis were not received well. Iphone 5 hits china dec. 15th. I might do something around that time as apple just went through the death cross and is usually a bad signal.

Apple has gone up 8000% in the last 10 years. Many investors have made huge profits in Apple. With an increase in capital gains tax, I think there is a huge pressure for these investors to sell before the end of the year. I'm looking to buy more as well, but I'm gonna wait until at least 2013.

Apple has gone up 8000% in the last 10 years. Many investors have made huge profits in Apple. With an increase in capital gains tax, I think there is a huge pressure for these investors to sell before the end of the year..... I'm looking to buy more as well, but I'm gonna wait until at least 2013.

Might be a good time to buy... if everyone is selling... :rolleyes:

Still shaky though. Curious to see what it's doing around Dec. 20th. Right now it's 528.... from 705.

Ouch...

Might be a good time to buy... if everyone is selling... :rolleyes:

Still shaky though. Curious to see what it's doing around Dec. 20th. Right now it's 528.... from 705.

Ouch...

Apple is still up big for 2012. I'm sitting on massive gains. I'm not a seller here and below 500 ill add to my position. Apple is a $700 stock. Once the market/traders settle down late next month apple should go back above $600.

Why is everyone so enamored with apple? All day long in the doctors lounge it seems to be the only stock people want to talk about. Should I buy it? Should I sell it? It boggles my mind the amount of time people spend on it. Apple is up a ton, if you were in early you made a killing, if you're planning on buying now you're late to the party. Docs would make much more money if they stopped looking at hot stocks that everyone knows about like apple and tried finding the next apple in small cap range that will make it big. Much easier said than done which is why I subscribe to dozes philosophy of knowing that I don't know anything and investing in low cost indexes

Why is everyone so enamored with apple? All day long in the doctors lounge it seems to be the only stock people want to talk about. Should I buy it? Should I sell it? It boggles my mind the amount of time people spend on it. Apple is up a ton, if you were in early you made a killing, if you're planning on buying now you're late to the party. Docs would make much more money if they stopped looking at hot stocks that everyone knows about like apple and tried finding the next apple in small cap range that will make it big. Much easier said than done which is why I subscribe to dozes philosophy of knowing that I don't know anything and investing in low cost indexes

It's relatively easy to understand and discuss the latest Apple device sales.
It's harder to understand the reason for and impact of Freeport going into oil and gas again.

I buy large cap companies in the Russell 1000 index whose stocks are selling at a significant discount to fair value. That's how I bought Apple. This strategy has worked well for me over the past few years.

Apple needs to drop below 520 for me to consider purchasing more of the stock. There are many other companies selling below fair value (by 50 percent or more) and those are the stocks I prefer to buy.

As for small cap companies it s just as easy to get burned as it is to double in value. I purchased Sandridge energy (SD) and haven't made a dime yet as the stock is volatile.

I'll leave the small cap stops to you and ill buy the VB ETF instead.

Apple's forward PE is 8.5! Apple is cheap right now and that is how you buy stocks.

If Apple just meets expectations in 2013 it is selling 50 percent below fair value right now. That's a big discount and a nice profit for anyone brave enough to buy the stock here. I'm a buyer if Apple retests its recent low of $505.

If Apple just meets expectations in 2013 it is selling 50 percent below fair value right now. That's a big discount and a nice profit for anyone brave enough to buy the stock here. I'm a buyer if Apple retests its recent low of $505.

I like your insight into apple. i happen to agree as well that its a buy. It is a cheap stock. Its PE is 12 and the future of tablets is bright even though the smart phone market is getting saturated. I believe hands down that apple makes the best products. Whether or not that keeps people from buying samsung and windows phones we will see. I still think the stock has legs. Apple makes the best tablet out there, period. The surface did not impress me when i looked at it. It just isnt as user friendly and I am a windows guy. But, I can understand the trepidation when it comes to purchasing the stock right now. its a scary time right now to be an investor. IN the next few weeks it is possible that the market fall 1000 points with this fiscal cliff talk going on. Scarying the bejezus out of me.

Investors in Cirrus Logic (CRUS) who entered positions in early 2012 are sitting on a 200% return (with a 52-week high that allows for 300% gains) as a result of the massive revenues generated from three Cirrus audio chips in the iPad mini and iPhone 5.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1053971-taiwan-semiconductor-apple-s-new-friend-has-big-upside

:D

Should've liquidated more about a month ago, but still taking home some fantastic profits.

Not a good time to jump into CRUS though. It's been getting hammered along with AAPL. They'll both bounce back together.

Last edited:
Investors in Cirrus Logic (CRUS) who entered positions in early 2012 are sitting on a 200% return (with a 52-week high that allows for 300% gains) as a result of the massive revenues generated from three Cirrus audio chips in the iPad mini and iPhone 5.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1053971-taiwan-semiconductor-apple-s-new-friend-has-big-upside

:D

Should've liquidated more about a month ago, but still taking home some fantastic profits.

Not a good time to jump into CRUS though. It's been getting hammered along with AAPL. They'll both bounce back together.

Tech stocks particulary chips are either smoking hot or freezing cold. You either make a fortune or go broke when they drop like a rock. You must trade these stocks as they are NOT buy and hold companies.

Ever heard of NXPI? What do you think?

Do you think hedge funds are calling it right on these names? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.

1. Freescale Semiconductor Holdings I, Ltd. (FSL): Engages in processing semiconductors and solutions for automotive, networking, industrial, and consumer markets worldwide. Market cap at $2.3B, most recent closing price at $9.28. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 6.4M shares, which represents about 12.54% of the company's float of 51.02M shares. 5-year EPS growth at 15.65%.

2. NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI): Provides mixed signal solutions and semiconductor components primarily in Japan, Europe, South Korea, Rest of Asia Pacific, and the Americas. Market cap at $6.24B, most recent closing price at $24.97. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 6.6M shares, which represents about 9.07% of the company's float of 72.79M shares. 5-year EPS growth at 28.95%.

3. Silicon Image, Inc. (SIMG): Engages in the design, development, and implementation of semiconductors and intellectual property (IP) solutions for the storage, distribution, and presentation of high-definition content in home and mobile environments worldwide. Market cap at $381.73M, most recent closing price at $4.64. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 5.0M shares, which represents about 6.15% of the company's float of 81.33M shares. 5-year EPS growth at 30%.

4. Monolithic Power Systems Inc. (MPWR): Designs, develops, manufactures, and markets analog and mixed-signal semiconductors. Market cap at $749.34M, most recent closing price at $21.12. Net institutional purchases in the current quarter at 3.2M shares, which represents about 10.2% of the company's float of 31.36M shares. 5-year EPS growth at 17.5%.

Tech stocks particulary chips are either smoking hot or freezing cold. You either make a fortune or go broke when they drop like a rock. You must trade these stocks as they are NOT buy and hold companies.

Ever heard of NXPI? What do you think?

Yep. Own it. They took a big hit when they were @ 36 in change... haven't quite broken out of the 30's since late 2011. Volatile chip co that goes up and down a lot.... although it had a great run up to 36. If you are a day time trader, it's prolly ok... but I've sold most of my NXPI as it's been stagnant for quite some time. I have no predictions for the future and they are doing well today.

My biggest draw to NXP semiconductors is the NFC... where you can purchase consumer products directly from your mobile device. If it takes off, you can say goodbye to plastic credit cards and use your mobile device instead. Kinda like what happens when you get on an airplane and scan your iphone vs. a paper ticket. It is a very forward thinking company... but it might not be ready for prime time quite yet.

NFC devices can be used in contactless payment systems, similar to those currently used in credit cards and electronic ticket smartcards, and allow mobile payment to replace or supplement these systems. For example, Google Wallet allows consumers to store credit card and store loyalty card information in a virtual wallet and then use an NFC-enabled device at terminals that also accept MasterCard PayPass transactions.[7] Germany,[8] Austria,[9] Finland,[10] New Zealand,[11] and Italy[12] have trialed NFC ticketing systems for public transport, while China has brought it into service on buses across the country.[citation needed] India is implementing NFC based transactions in box offices for ticketing purposes.[13]

AAPL is getting CRUSHED! :eek:

Still waiting. Prolly gonna see AAPL in the 400's before too long. Let's see what happens with the iphone 5 release in China tomorrow. Going to be interesting over the next 5-10 days. Holding off for now as it hasn't settled...

Anyone think that the market is going to see some bullish numbers after the fiscal cliff is addressed? I'm thinking yes.

10 month low. Time to think about buying. It may trend down still, but losing much money is starting to seem unlikely at this price unless the whole market collapses or google releases the 3D projector phone.

Apple Stock is a buy at under $500. That said, Apple won't recover until we get a deal about taxes.

I see the real issue coming in 2013 when Congress has to raise the debt Ceiling once again. I expect the GOP to hold the ground on this issue unless Obama agrees to Entitlement reform.

TAxes are going up in January as Obama has pretty much won that battle. The war will be fought over raising the debt ceiling beyond 17 trillion dollars; it will be very ugly and the market will drop a 1,000 points at that time.