Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by yann, 07.09.11.

1. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I hope something similar to this isn't out already.

Hi everyone, I haven't been posting much for about a year now ever since I moved to the VA from Japan and started working full-time as vet assistant and going to the local community college taking pre-req sciences. So I somehow managed to tuck in enough science credits to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh and RVC, and was wondering how everyone applying to UK schools this year were doing! I'm probably behind compared to many of you...started putting some info in on the online app form, but I haven't really started with the grueling stuff (PS, GRE, requesting transcripts from my undergrad) so I better get to it soon as soon as I'm done with my summer class.

Love to share thoughts, anxiety, excitement, questions etc! It's nice to be back here.

2. jemappellejane

jemappellejane #stinkasaurus

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey! Glad you started this. I'll be applying to Dublin (for sure) this cycle, and likely RVC. Not sure about Glasgow & Edinburgh quite yet- looks like they require a 3.0 in all science classes and I've definitely got a few Cs in there from undergrad... I'm taking Organic II this summer, starting monday! I took it in undergrad but left with many things to be desired... Also just retook the GRE and did worse than the first time I took it! Talk about discouragement. Anyhow, this will be my first time applying overseas. If anyone has applied or has been accepted, any tips would be greatly appreciated! Good luck with your class, Yann! What are you taking? When do you take the GRE?

3. OneHealthDVM

OneHealthDVM

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll be applying this year to Glasgow and Edinburgh. This will be my second time applying to vet schools, but my first time adding UK schools to the list. I'm always going to be nervous until I receive that acceptance letter( hopefully I will) I am certainly excited and excited to share application, waitlist and potential acceptances with everyone here on our little SDN community. Sadly, I've taken the GRE awhile ago so I can't tell you exactly, but check with VMCAS or the schools directly. Usually if you need the have the GRE before November, you'd have to take it before August, as it takes a bit of time for scores to be received. Still, specific schools may have their own requirements, like UK, Australian, NZ etc.

4. shortnsweet

shortnsweet Just Keep Swimming

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You can take the GRE right up until the VMCAS deadline, and some schools allow it up to a month after I believe. You get your scores immediately on the computer based test, and they submit your scores to your schools you specify. Some of the UK schools also don't require the test....

jemappellejane---don't let your few C's rule out the other schools. As long as your overall is solid, and you are a well rounded applicant with lots of experience, you should be fine.

5. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    jemappellejane> I agree with shortnsweet! Don't let a couple C's let you down. I don't have the highest confidence that I'll get in, since I still have a couple pre reqs that I still need to take when I apply, but you can't win the lottery if you don't buy the ticket first, right? Least that's what I always tell myself anyways :) And I've read enough successful applicants thread to know that a perfect GPA doesn't guarantee acceptance either.

What is everyone's reason for applying to their particular school/s? I'm still undecided on Dublin..if you don't mind, jemappellejane, what got you interested in applying to Dublin? Is Dublin and RVC your top choices, or if you get into both UK and US schools (I'm assuming you're applying to US schools as well) where do you think you'll most likely end up enrolling in? Same question to OneHealthDVM if you don't mind! Are you guys both non-trads??

I'm applying to UK schools because I graduated with a Humanities major and pretty much no science credits, and it's a lot cheaper for me to apply to UK schools because they require less pre-reqs than US schools. Obviously if I don't get in this cycle, I'll keep taking more courses and will apply to US schools next year (thinking VMRCVM, U Penn, Tufts in addition to Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC). The financial aspects aside though, studying in a beautiful city like Edinburgh and Glasgow is very appealing, and I love the more holistic approach they have...especially Edinburgh. I need to research a bit more about Glasgow, but right now Edinburgh is definitely my top choice. Plus having the license to work in Europe AND the US (and I read somewhere South Africa as well?) is incredibly appealing, since I have an international mind set about my career and the countries I'd love to experience living in.

Also, how is everyone's vet/animal experience coming along? I'm working full time as an assistant at a SA hospital since November (Kennel before that) and shadowing a vet at a different hospital specializing in Herbal meds and acupuncture, but haven't had any experience in equine, Large Animals and other fields. Hopefully be able to get a couple hours at least in August in Equine...but who knows, I might not have enough time..haha.

6. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How are people applying to the UK schools doing? I want to know if 2 LOR is fine for Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC. Also, are transcripts due on Oct 3 as well?

I am so last minute. How far are you guys coming along? Thinking of writing a PS this weekend. I'm a better writer when in pressure, and I've been contemplating what to write about for a while.

Hope to hear some feedback from fellow applicants soon! Best of luck to all of you.

7. laurentian1

laurentian1

Pre-Veterinary
    I also want to know this... I don't have an academic reference, I have 2 vet references and an animal experience reference and I am doing research this year, obviously too late to get a reference from my supervisor he doesn't know me yet! I like Glasgow... will this be a problem, I just really did not get to know any profs. :( I feel like a lab technician or something MIGHT be able to give me one although I don't feel as if it would even be worth it.

8. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    laurentian1, I emailed Edinburgh and they told me 2 is fine. I haven't done the same with Glasgow or RVC yet, simply because I am secretly DYING to go to Edinburgh..their new animal welfare facility is truly fascinating. As far as I'm aware, academic reference isn't necessary? I was told vet references are more important. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey everyone!

I applied to Glasgow last year and got wait listed. I still haven't decided if I'm applying to it again this year. I feel I might have applied for some of the wrong reasons last year, but now I'm starting to think that I would still be very happy there. I studied abroad in northern England for a year, so I already have a good idea of what it's like living there and several of my friends were med students so I have an idea of what the professional programs are like too.

jemappellejane- I had a C in Organic Chem II and they never said a word to me about it. From my understanding you just have to have an avg. GPA of a 3.2 to be good.

I used 3 LOR for Glasgow and the application is due by Oct 3rd. I had a vet, professor, and my boss from my job as a lab assistant write them. Also, they don't technically require GRE scores (unless that has changed from last year) so I think I sent them an unofficial report since they don't have a code # or anything just in case they ended up wanting it.

My reason for choosing Glasgow was because I really liked how having a degree from there allows to you to practice in the US as well as in Europe...although this is technically true with Dublin, RVC and Edinburgh as well. Also, I think the 5 year approach would be slightly more relaxing since you don't have to fit everything into 4 years. Also, Glasgow is a cheaper city to live in compared to Edinburgh and London...and it's one I haven't been to and my friend who studied abroad there loved it. I know those aren't really the reasons related to the program, but random stuff like that is important to me as well.

10. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok, so apparently I totally forgot that I posted on this thread. Now that the Atlantic Bridge app is coming up due, my focus again is on Dublin.

YANN --> I am applying to 5 US schools, Dublin, and St George's. I am simply trying to keep my options open. I will be happy when/where/if I get accepted anywhere...

I know that a couple C's aren't bad. But I have a couple C-'s, a couple D's and I've failed a couple classes. These were mostly all in the same year, and I have my at the time untreated panic/anxiety disorder to blame for this. My undergrad gpa is not great, but I know they will factor in my graduate grades which are right around a 4.0. Here's hoping!

Anyone else applying through atlantic bridge? Anyone previously applied through atlantic bridge? It's very different from the VMCAS, not as detailed, which makes me think I should have just tacked Dublin on to my list on VMCAS. No turning back now!!! :confused:

11. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just googled Atlantic Bridge..didn't know anything about it now! I only applied through VMCAS.
    From everything I've picked up here on SDN, the schools like at the grades more recent...so I would guess that the schools you are applying to will look heavily on your close 4.0 in graduate school, rather than undergrad...not to mention it's a lot harder getting good grades in grad school. Good job!!
    My concern is I have 3 W in undergrad. One is statistics, one is guitar class (non-credit...had to wake up at 9 in the morning in the dead of winter with my heavy guitar so I ditched it after a couple weeks lol) and another is pre-calc, which I'm repeating this semester and doing a lot better. Hope I wont get penalized too much.

Can I ask why you applied to Dublin? I was considering it, but heard about the high living costs (not that London is cheap either) and shied away from it this year. Just curious, if you don't mind!

12. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I withdrew from Gen Chem (and it's lab because that's my school's policy) because I had a D in it my freshman year, so I had two W's on my transcript. I interviewed at two schools in the US as well as Glasgow last year, and it was never brought up. I was kind of surprised since it's a pre-req but maybe things like this aren't as big of a deal as people always seem to make it out to be. Or I just got lucky. Who knows.

13. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I also have a couple Ws. Molecular Bio and Biology of Mental Disorders. We'll see how much that matters. Grad school isn't too bad, but I'm glad I'm doing it, because it sure is helping my pitiful gpa! When I asked the admissions office for an application, they just sent me the atlantic bridge info, so that's how I'm doing it. I am applying to Dublin just to keep as many options and opportunities to get in as possible. And, I've always wanted to go there!

14. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My guess is a W isn't all that uncommon to see in transcripts, so I'm hoping that as long as we've repeated, or have good grades in other areas they were overlook it. Ah well, no point in fretting over what's already been done!

There is no way we're the only ones who have applied to UK schools on SDN this year right? Lurkers, don't be shy! As the dates get closer, we'll probably need each other to support! :)

I had a dream the other day getting accepted to Edinburgh. I'm going to take that as a good sign. I'm superstitious, and can't help it..it's in my blood!

15. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i applied to edinburgh and RVC! :) i would love to live in europe for 4 years and travel and explore....all while being poor of course ;)

16. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's totally worth it...even if I am still recovering from my year living in England two years ago.

17. jos05

jos05 UF c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I decided to apply to both Glasgow and RVC...last year both schools started sending out invites October to November, so they will most likely be the first schools I could possibly hear from! Nerve wracking:scared:

18. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I applied to Glasgow as well. =)

19. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    they send invites that early???!!! :scared:

20. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yup. I think I knew about my interview with Glasgow sometime in November last year.

21. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lies. I got my invite to interview on Oct 25th.

22. Animinevege

Animinevege

Pre-Veterinary
    Just wanted to add my name to the group applying to the UK/Ireland schools. I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin. I thought about RVC but opted not to because it requires Orgo 2 and I'm just not totally sure I'll be able to get it done this year. I'm retaking three classes that I didn't do so hot in during undergrad (all online) as well as working my regular job (40hrs) and getting a little volunteering in at a wildlife rehab. Can't wait to breathe a bit in December - although if Glasgow sends stuff out in a couple weeks I may hyperventilate instead!:eek:

If I don't get in this round I'll reapply next year to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, RVC and a couple US schools (probably WI and a wild card). Here's hoping I won't have to worry about that though!

I hope some of us end up as classmates!:D

-Animinevege

23. Packen

Packen Dick Vet c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can't speak for RVC and Glasgow, but I got my acceptance to Edinburgh before Christmas, just asked my roomie and she confirmed it was December 22nd. We didn't have interviews.

Just for anyone who might be on the fence - the new vest school is pretty amazing (all new and state of the art) and the city is absolutely charming. It definitely has that European charm without making me feel too out of place. Not that I am biased in any way :)

24. shortnsweet

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hehe "vest" school...sorry it's just funny because most of the vets I know where vests all the time, especially the equines.

Glasgow interview invites should come out in November and be scheduled for February. You then find out within a week (However I came over here for mine and found out 1/2 an hour later!).

25. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm applying through Atlantic Bridge and the app isn't due until November 15. I'm getting all of my materials in before then, but my other evaluator may not until close to the date. So, I'm assuming I won't hear as early as the rest of you. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage now :mad: When I e-mailed admissions, they said it doesn't matter whether I apply through VMCAS or Atlantic Bridge, so I hope they are right...

26. thaowey

thaowey

SDN 5+ Year Member
    hey y'all! i applied to pretty much all of the schools in Europe...RVC, Glasgow, Edinburgh, && Dublin! ideally, I would loveeeeeee to be able to study abroad and i absolutely love the European culture/way of life. Also, being able to practice in more than one country would be awesomeee!

just curious though...so i know that most of these schools say 3.4 min GPA to be "considered", but i am quite sub-par in that regard...and after looking at these threads i noticed that some ppl got accepted with below 3.4 GPA also...so I was wondering...do you know how i might possibly stand? my GPA is a 2.94 (sh!tty, i know...) but I have only ever gotten a C+ in Bio 1&2 freshman year, Microbio, and Graduate level Intro to Marine Wildlife, and a C in vert. anatomy and inorganic chemistry (the hard one after orgo, not the basic inorgo gen chem...) and i've pretty much passed all my other classes with B/B- with the only retakes being Genetics (got an A) and Animal Physiology (B-)....

ahhhhh sorry for freaking out....but hope that we all make it through and get to meet each other someday in the UK! :]

27. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yay! Loving that there are more posts here now :D

thaowey, I also read posts of people who got accepted to the UK schools with a GPA of less than 3.4..and stalking other UK student posts, they all seem to say one thing in common: that these schools look more at the applicant themselves rather than focus solely on the GPA's. Not saying it's not important, but if other areas are distinct and well defined, I would say applicants with a sub-par GPA would still have a shot. My undergrad GPA was a 3.34 (not...quite...there!!) and my last 45sem GPA was 3.2. But I have a unique experience and I took a lot of risks doing this, as did many non-trads I'm sure, so I'm hoping they would look at that and take it into consideration.

If not...well I'll just have to work harder to up my GPA for next cycle, eh?

But here's to hoping some of you will be my future classmates!:xf:

By the way, I haven't sent out my transcripts yet, since the schools I applied to told me they are due Nov 1. Sending it out tomorrow!!

28. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have a question to those who applied to Edinburgh.

Where did you guys send the transcript? I have a couple transcripts to send, and I sent one to the admissions office in the UK yesterday. But I was checking the PDF from Edinburgh and found that there is an American office here in DC...did I screw this up, or as long as it's in the admissions office in Edinburgh, will they still take it?
    I have 2 more transcripts to send today. Should I send the rest to the DC admissions office, or keep it consistent and send it to the school itself?

I'll e-mail the admissions lady too just in case...ughh I hate myself!!

29. thaowey

thaowey

SDN 5+ Year Member
  30. Packen

Packen Dick Vet c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not sure if this is useful now, but last year I sent all my transcripts to the address in Scotland.

31. Fireflysushi

Fireflysushi CSU c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those of you guys that know... Which of the UK schools interview, and where? Shortnsweet-You had to go to Scotland for your interview?

So excited to hear from the schools I applied to, and start hearing acceptances from you guys!

32. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For Glasgow last year, they had interviews in 4 cities: two places out in CA (i think), one in Texas and one in Boston. They had a couple days of interviews at each location. I went to one of the days in Boston. I can't remember if everyone is required to have an interview or not. Part of me is hoping that maybe they'll just let me in this year without it, since I went through it last year. It would be nice to save money on a flight, but I doubt that's going to happen.

33. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i sent all my transcripts to the address listed on the AAVMC pdf file, which i'm pretty sure is in scotland.

34. shortnsweet

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Oh gosh no I didn't have to...I just really wanted to because I wanted to see if it was a good fit for me. I went to college with a girl the year above me, and my parents and I had already planned a UK trip around New Years, so I asked if if could just come and interview then. Stayed with my friend, went to a few classes, toured around the school etc.. Stopped by Dublin on the way back through too and had an informal meeting with them:) Back when I applied, the US options were San Fran and New York. I believe they held them in the RBS buildings. RVC interviews, Edinburgh does not, Dublin didn't used to, but that may have changed.

35. hokiepaws12

hokiepaws12 Glasgow C/O 2016

Pre-Veterinary
    For the UK schools that interview US applicants, they will usually have locations in the states that you can interview at. Usually an East Cost location and a West Coast location and somewhere in the middle usually Texas. Last yeay I interviewed with Glasgow and my choices were Houston Texas, Boston, or California. I think RVC had their interviews in NY last year can't remember. Also Dublin didn't do interviews and the way I found out that I had gotten accepted was a status update via my online application then weeks later I finally got an acceptance letter.However I feel like I heard that Dublin wanted to start doing interviews so things may be different this year. Any way if you applied to Dublin the best way to keep up with things and to get notifications is to check the status of your online application. So do not be alarmed if you don't hear from Dublin they aren't big on communication. First round of acceptances for Dublin were in Jan last year and then second round of acceptances were in late march early April.

36. CurrySpice

CurrySpice

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    RVC interviews in NYC or Los Angeles. I am flying back from New Zealand around when they interview, so I'm hoping that I will be invited to interview in LA that week (all the flights change through LA, so I'd already be there). *crossed fingers*

I was a little obsessive this summer with my application, and I used SDN to make a chart of when I should hear back from each of the schools. IIRC... Edinburgh began sending acceptances in mid-December, and most of the acceptances were sent in the following few months. RVC interviews around February, and follows more of the "normal" US vet schools timeline.

I didn't apply to Dublin because it was so expensive (and Ireland's economy is in the toilet, so I was worried about gov't funding) and also skipped Glasgow because they only offered a 5 year program. The one good thing about having an expensive IS school is that my decision will not be based on cost. RVC will be the cheapest option of anywhere I applied (except OOS Wisconsin).

Edinburgh is one of my first choices, but I refuse to think too hard about that until I'm accepted and see my options. LOVE the city and the people and especially the countryside. I visited the city center campus... which is a moot point now because of the new vet school in Easter Bush. I probably won't fly over again before I decide, but I will definitely go early to find a flat & explore!

p.s. Dublin is not in the UK

37. shortnsweet

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nope, you're correct...it's not. It is in Ireland, not Northern Ireland. But they get lumped in with us for things like AVS Sports Weekend (AVS=student sector of the British Vet Assoc.) etc, and it's a pain to always say the UK schools and Dublin :)

38. laitmanvet

laitmanvet RVC c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    And, in the case of RVC (don't know how the other schools do this), Ireland counts as "non-international" for AHEMS classification purposes.

39. Packen

Packen Dick Vet c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Speaking of AVS weekend... any SDNers going??

40. shortnsweet

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Nahh...I figured I would go next year when it's here. Plus Nottingham limited the ticket sales a lot more this year? I should be at Dick Day though (Do you have any idea when that is??). :)

41. marshmallow12

marshmallow12

Pre-Veterinary
    I feel the same way too! I interviewed last year in San Luis Obispo (RVC held their interview there too at the same time on the same floor), was waitlisted, and never made it in. I was hoping I had a better chance a second time around. Best of luck to you!! Hope we both get in this time.

I also have a C or two in my transcripts, but they didn't seem to address that at all. I do feel Glasgow does not only look at grades because during the interview, they were extremely casual and asked things based upon my experiences.

42. Packen

Packen Dick Vet c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My roommate just said that she heard it was November 9th, but I don't know for sure. If i hear definitely in the next few days I'll post it. Are you with any vet school sports teams?

I'm not going to AVS either, found out the tickets were £90, and that's a little out of my budget right now. That's exciting that it's in Glasgow next year.

43. shortnsweet

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow...so soon after AVS! Nah...I tried hockey for a hot minute, but gave up. I'm more into the horseback riding thing :) My roomies play on the footie team though, so it's always fun to go cheer them on. Do you play?

Edit: We got an e-mail today saying the 16th of Nov :)

Last edited: 10.17.11
  44. Packen

Packen Dick Vet c/o 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have been meaning to post and say I also got an email saying it was the 16th :)

I play hockey, but there are 50 of us on the Dick Vet team, so I will just be spectating on that Wed. My roomies (fellow SDNers) are also on the football teams, so I will definitely be out to cheer along everyone. Hope to see you there!!

45. yann

yann

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Am I the only one who hasn't received a single email from Glasgow or RVC?
    Already received two from Edinburgh notifying me that they reeived my transcripts and such, but getting nothing from the other 2 schools is worrying me :(

46. marshmallow12

marshmallow12

Pre-Veterinary
    No worries. I don't think anyone here has heard from any of those schools yet this year. Unless there is a thread somewhere else talking about it?

47. jos05

jos05 UF c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I haven't either, only one response from RVC when I asked if my transcripts had gotten there and they said they were still working on getting everyone's information together. Hopefully it's nothing for us to worry about and we will all start hearing soon!:)

48. maddyblue

maddyblue

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have only received email confirmations from Edinburgh-- nothing from RVC or Glasgow.

49. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I recall correctly, Glasgow doesn't send out an email letting you know everything is complete...but, if they stick to their time line from last year, we could start hearing about interviews this week. At least that's when I got mine last year. Here's to hoping!

50. marshmallow12

marshmallow12

Pre-Veterinary
    Fingers crossed!! My heart is going to start pounding every time I check my email now.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal