Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great, thanks for your reply guys. I just received an email from RVC confirming they received my apps.
Still waiting on Glasgow.

Members don't see this ad.

I got that email as well! I wonder how long it will be before they start sending out interview notifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glasgow confirmed application status and interview dates pretty early last year. I wonder what has changed!
But I also got my Edinburgh and RVC app confirmation, too. Is it just me or do you guys also get a little excited just getting a confirmation email?

nope you are certainly not the only one :) each confirmation email i get makes me excited! makes the entire process seem even more real each time i get one! :love:

Glasgow confirmed application status and interview dates pretty early last year. I wonder what has changed!
But I also got my Edinburgh and RVC app confirmation, too. Is it just me or do you guys also get a little excited just getting a confirmation email?

Back in 2008...Glasgow sent me my first e-mail on Oct 29th. It was a joint "Hey we got your stuff" and "we want to take your application further with an interview". And yes, I definitely still have the e-mail for memory sake :)

CHECK YOUR MAIL EVERYONE!! i just got my interview invite from glasgow! :)

OMG congrats! i only applied to RVC and Edinburgh for UK schools so i won't hear back for a while!!! :(

but congrats to you! :luck::luck::luck:

Gah no email :( think they all get sent at once?

Does anyone know if all the interview invites get sent out at once for Glasgow?

I didn't get one either...ahhh. That makes me nervous even though I'm sure they send them out in bunches. I will be slightly confused if I don't get an interview this year since I've strengthened my application in the area they thought I was weak...

But congrats Marshmallow12!!!!! It's a great feeling!

Anyone hear anything today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a dream that I got an Interview scheduled next Monday.
Does that count?? :D

Whoa. Just received an email for an interview invite from Glasgow! :)

I'm still waiting :( well atleast I know they aren't all sent out at once! Fingers crossed for tommorrow..

I think they do only a certain amount per day...I wouldn't be surprised to hear people getting invites well into the beginning of November. Hang in there.

so i've been checking my e-mail alllllllll day and figured, hey, it's like 9 pm in the states now...and then i come home and BAM! email from Glasgow! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk!!! yay! i was jumping up and down so much, my downstairs neighbors hate me...but whatevssss!!! :D

hang in there y'all! :D

I'm so excited so many of us SDN-ers are getting invites!! Fingers crossed for you orca!

Just out of curiousity, who applied to the 5yr program in Glasgow and Edinburgh? Like, 4yr program is definitely out of the question?
I'm one of those because my major was in Anthropology.

Just out of curiousity, who applied to the 5yr program in Glasgow and Edinburgh? Like, 4yr program is definitely out of the question?
I'm one of those because my major was in Anthropology.

* Glasgow only has a 5yr program

Congrats on your interviews everyone! Please let me know if you have questions!

oops, thanks for catching that shortnsweet! don't want to confuse anybody..

Congrats on your interviews everyone! Please let me know if you have questions!

Hello all! Hearing that so many of us have an invitation for an interview with Glasgow is really exciting (for the rest still hearing from them, don't fret!)

If ya'll don't mind, I was wondering how you guys are planning to choose between UK schools (if accepted to all *crosses fingers*). I am having a hard time figuring out each schools reputation and how it may be like living there.. (I've been in California most of my life..)

Shortnsweet, I was wondering if you could give us an idea of what to expect at the interview. Are the interviewers generally nice, or do they grill you pretty hard? What should an interviewee expect from this experience? Also how do you like your University? Could you tell us a few things you love about living there or going there and a few things you don't like so much about living there/going there? Thankkkkk you!

:laugh:

Last edited:
Hey Justcallm3jo,

The interview for Glasgow is pretty laid back. I interviewed with Joyce (administrator/admissions) and Neil (neurophys professor). Joyce asked more about how I felt about possibly moving to the UK and how my family would react and Neil asked be me questions based on my Personal Statement and experience. I would mainly focus on that. There were some more ethical based questions (my thoughts on tail docking, ear cropping, etc) and about my experience with exotics. Neil also asked me to describe a surgical procedure I had seen done on a snake (i.e. where was the incision made, how was it intubated...).

Don't be afraid of them at all. They are super friendly and I'm pretty sure we ended up talking about Mexican food and what they should have for lunch (I interviewed in California), lol.

As for what it's like living in Glasgow -- I love it!! I thought I would have a hard time adjusting moving from Arizona, but I feel right at home :) The university is really great at helping with the moving process and Joyce went out of her way to talk to my parents and help them feel better about me living here.

I'm only a first year, so maybe Shortnsweet can give you more info, but first year is pretty laid back so far. Some classes are a review (no complaints here) but I love anatomy and the relaxed life style. We have already been to the farm and had some hands on experience.

I've been in Glasgow for about 9 weeks already and it feels like home. There are some days I don't even realise I live in the UK. The hardest part is skyping with my family because of the time change. But I just set up a standing "Skype date" with my parents on Sunday at a time that is convenient for everyone.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info about Glasgow or living in the UK.

Hey Justcallm3jo,

The interview for Glasgow is pretty laid back. I interviewed with Joyce (administrator/admissions) and Neil (neurophys professor). Joyce asked more about how I felt about possibly moving to the UK and how my family would react and Neil asked be me questions based on my Personal Statement and experience. I would mainly focus on that. There were some more ethical based questions (my thoughts on tail docking, ear cropping, etc) and about my experience with exotics. Neil also asked me to describe a surgical procedure I had seen done on a snake (i.e. where was the incision made, how was it intubated...).

Don't be afraid of them at all. They are super friendly and I'm pretty sure we ended up talking about Mexican food and what they should have for lunch (I interviewed in California), lol.

As for what it's like living in Glasgow -- I love it!! I thought I would have a hard time adjusting moving from Arizona, but I feel right at home :) The university is really great at helping with the moving process and Joyce went out of her way to talk to my parents and help them feel better about me living here.

I'm only a first year, so maybe Shortnsweet can give you more info, but first year is pretty laid back so far. Some classes are a review (no complaints here) but I love anatomy and the relaxed life style. We have already been to the farm and had some hands on experience.

I've been in Glasgow for about 9 weeks already and it feels like home. There are some days I don't even realise I live in the UK. The hardest part is skyping with my family because of the time change. But I just set up a standing "Skype date" with my parents on Sunday at a time that is convenient for everyone.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info about Glasgow or living in the UK.

Kbelle pretty much summed up what I had to say. If you look back on the Glasgow thread from last year, some other students and I wrote super long responses about life here as well as the interviews. If I get some time i'll dig it up for you.

I had Joyce and Bill Steele (LOVE Neil btw). They pretty much asked me about everything in my app, my experience, my family, why did I want to come here. Honestly my best advice to you is to talk about what you know. If you don't know answer--say so. They mainly ask you about yourself though...so hopefully you know all of those answers ! They are some of the most laid back and nicest people I know. It was probably one of the scariest interviews I had because it was my first one ever, but they settled me down right away.

The course is and has been changing quite a bit in the past few years and will be into my final year. These changes have been talked about with students, and faculty, and administrators---so a real joint effort to make the entire program better. You all would probably be the first to really experience all the changes. There is a new course that started up this year...veterinary professional clinical skills. So right from when you enter, you will have hands on instruction in the skills you will need in practice, not just lecture(think suturing, communication, intubation, caths, jabs, restraint, sampling etc). We've always had animal handling and gone to the farm first year, which I loved, but this is really quite a cool concept. It will help you SO much on EMS placements, exams, and give you a head start on medicine :)

That being said, Kbelle can probably give you a better idea of first year, as it has changed significantly since I was in it. Second year is like first year, only amped up a bit with a lot more information being thrown at you--but I enjoyed it. Third year (which is what I am) is where you finally see the light ie...all the stuff you learn starts to come together!

I love Glasgow as a city and as a home. I would seriously consider living and working here after graduation. The people are amazing, and I really have found a second family. We have a work hard, play hard mentality, and there is always someone around to help you, or perk you up on a grey day.

Negative things? Mmm sometimes the weather can be a bit drab. And sometimes the administration can be a bit disorganized, but really, those are just quibbles. Overall my experience over the past 3 years has been fantastic, and I am so glad I had the opportunity to come here :)

Also...Kbelle...have you found any good Mexican places? I have some in mind if you have the cravings!!!

Shortnsweet -- Mexican food is my downfall. . . I just recently went to Piñata on Byres Road. I think it's the best I've found here yet. Spicy and flavourful food with pretty strong margaritas :)

I've been satisfying my cravings by making guacamole every two weeks or so. So hard to find good jalapeños here, though. I'll have to make a trip out to Lupe Pintos and take a look around.

As for the changes in first year - we DO have a new course added for professional skills! So far we have had a suturing lab, a session on equine nerve blocks, dog/cat/reptile/sheep/cattle handling, and a session on how to remove a horse shoe. I think we have a session on palpation coming up as well. The course is brand new and will probably evolve over time, but I think it is a great way to have some basic practical knowledge going into EMS.

We had a mini discussion about the upcoming changes for the program and I think the gist is that the RCVS wants to not just see what we are being taught, but what we can DO. I think they called it Day One Competencies? Basically, once we've graduated and have our first day on the job -- What can you do? How can you apply your knowledge? So I think it's a change from "Look how much our graduates have learned" to "Look what our graduates have learned AND what they can do with it." Seems very practical to me.

Kbelle and shortnsweet,

Thank you so very much for the information! I feel a bit at ease knowing that the admissions staff are friendly and really do want to know a bit more about the applicant. My interview is in California in SLO late January 2012 so I was quite nervous... and still am.. (haha) but knowing that these people are rather nice puts my mind to ease. :rolleyes:

Congrats Orca!!

Anyone else interviewing in New York?

Ahhh I'm still waiting! Hopefully tommorrow?!?
I emailed them yesterday to confirm they received my transcript and they said they are still wading through applications! Fingers crossed!

Congratulations Orca!

I'm going to nyc too. My mother will be there, which is exciting because I haven't seen her since August.
I got feb 6th for the interview date. I think time was around 3pm?

Congratulations Orca!

I'm going to nyc too. My mother will be there, which is exciting because I haven't seen her since August.

That is exciting! Joyce got back to me really quickly and mine's the following day at 1:30. Much better of a commute than going up to Boston again. Haha.

Congratulations Orca!

I'm on the 6th also, at 2:30! You're probably right after me :)

I just thought I'd pop in to say hello from Edinburgh! I haven't come around here too often since school started, but I'm trying to make a comeback. :) I see that Edinburgh is already well represented by some of my wonderful classmates, but I'd like to offer my help as well! Feel free to PM me or whatever with any Edinburgh/UK questions and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.

I thought I would have a hard time adjusting moving from Arizona, but I feel right at home :)
Greetings from a fellow Arizonan! I was worried about adjusting to the Scottish weather as well, but so far so good. :laugh:

PS: Congrats to everyone getting interview invites! Everyone else, hold tight-- I know the wait sucks but I'm sending you all good vibes!

Congrats to everyone on their interview invites!!

Greetings from a fellow Arizonan! I was worried about adjusting to the Scottish weather as well, but so far so good. :laugh:

Hey there CKD! Are you the only Arizonan at Edinburgh? There are two others here at Glasgow that I know of. We had quite the experience with the fog all day here - so foreign to us :)

Any other Dublin hopefuls on this thread?? Ireland is not technically UK so I'm not sure if there are other people applying on a different thread somewhere. Show me the Irish hopeful love, people!!! :love:

Hey there CKD! Are you the only Arizonan at Edinburgh? There are two others here at Glasgow that I know of. We had quite the experience with the fog all day here - so foreign to us :)

I think there are a couple others in the upper years, but I haven't met them! Definitely no other Arizonans in my class though. Our fog didn't roll in until about 4pm... I'm pretty sure I was waaaaay more excited about it than anyone else was! I'm glad you can relate! I'm just waiting to see a little bit of snow now. Plus I'm jealous that my brother got snow in northern AZ already! Although then I probably won't be handling the weather as well :rolleyes:

I was fantasizing the other day about what would happen if I get accepted to more than one school in the uk. Would I visit both schools to decide or just go eith my gut to save money on the travel? Just for fun, what are you guys's opinion?

I was fantasizing the other day about what would happen if I get accepted to more than one school in the uk. Would I visit both schools to decide or just go eith my gut to save money on the travel? Just for fun, what are you guys's opinion?

Public transportation in the UK isn't all that expensive (at least compared to the US) so I would probably visit multiple schools if I had the funds to go back over there in the first place. When I lived in Newcastle upon Tyne (which is 5-6 hours north of London by car) a train to London cost me like 35 pounds one way when bought early enough. Although, I did also have a young person's rail card (their version of a student discount card) so that helped a little bit. They also have Megabus over there which took friends of mine from London to Newcastle for like 8 pounds.

Its definitely not a bad idea. Flights are actually really cheap intra-europe. I'm going to Belfast and Edinburgh in the near future and I found $75 (not pounds) RT plane tickets for each. So if you want to visit multiple places it shouldn't be a huge burden. The National Rail and Megabus are an option too but they take a lot longer getting place-to-place and sometimes don't cost much less than flying.

Its definitely not a bad idea. Flights are actually really cheap intra-europe. I'm going to Belfast and Edinburgh in the near future and I found $75 (not pounds) RT plane tickets for each. So if you want to visit multiple places it shouldn't be a huge burden. The National Rail and Megabus are an option too but they take a lot longer getting place-to-place and sometimes don't cost much less than flying.

^What they said.

Glasgow to Edinburgh = 1 hour by train, 10 quid RT
Glasgow or Edinburgh to London, 4-6 hours by train, probably 60 quid round trip if you get them early; Overnight Megabus is like 25quid, but takes 8 hours
All three UK cities have airports which you can fly to Dublin from. RyanAir and Flybe are super cheap airlines

I am very much a person who likes to get a feel for places, and it is a major decision (you will be spending 4-5 years here!!). I was fortunate to be able to come and tour and interview here at the same time. Found cheap flights, esp flying on New Years Eve!! When I came over, we went from Glasgow to Dublin. If you go out of tourist season, the international flights tend to be cheaper. So if it's feasible, I say do it...if you're in a crunch, us students over here will try and create virtual tours/pictures to help you decide where you want to be :)