Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I seem to be the only person here going for the long shot and applying for University of Edinburgh straight out of high school... yet to hear from them- but from what I have seen it should be pretty soon.I figure I don't have a good of getting in but my hope is still there! I sincerely hate the waiting game.
On another note, congrats to everyone who has gotten in and good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm doing a ton of research. I got my acceptance from my IS school yesterday so I'm very happy to have both options. My heart is kinda tugging me towards Edinburgh but my only worry is that when I graduate my degree won't mean as much in the US. I don't want it to be a Ross thing where alot of older vets are still prejudiced against the school and won't hire someone from there. Has anyone heard anything like that? I didn't have this concern before with Edinburgh being founded in like 1540 and being rated like a top 20 school by some but now I'm starting to worry I won't be able to find a job back home if I decide to search.

I shared some of the same sentiments as well. But at the end of the day, potential bosses should compare you to other students based on passing the NAVLE, grades/class rank, and personality/how well you would fit into their practice; not whether you came from an accredited school which they perceive as better than another. When I was accepted and still deciding to attend or not my uncle did some research for me (he is a professor at a very prestigious school and while not in the vet field, still knows about academics and "prestige") and basically told me that everyone he talked to spoke volumes about Edinburgh and academically the UK schools are known for being some of the best.

As an example, I did some clinical EMS over the break in the US at a clinic that I have worked at before. The owner of the clinic has always been excited about my decision to go to Edinburgh. While there for 2 weeks, one of the main vets (in a 2 vet practice) was on vacation so there were relief vets coming through. Most every vet I talked to was thrilled that I went to the UK and was very impressed with my knowledge that I had acquired in just a year when they would ask me about a case or specific questions. I say most every vet because there was only one that was not impressed and openly stated that I should have "looked at other US options" and that "Edinburgh must be the new Caribbean." (I will point out that I think there is nothing wrong with the Caribbean, but this man definitely meant it as a blow). He was not very nice at all and let's just say, the owner of the clinic was not impressed either. And while I let it get me down for a split second (more because he was openly being mean, not because he picked on Edinburgh) I realized that 1. I would never, ever in a million years take a job from someone this openly rude even if he did hire me and 2. if others weren't impressed with him, he probably wouldn't be in a position to be hiring me anyways.

As another example, when I was still deciding I had the opportunity to speak with a professor at a US vet school that is part of their school's interviewing process who gave me some great insight. They basically said that they had heard nothing but wonderful things about Edinburgh and that it would be a fantastic opportunity for me. So between my uncle and the professor in the vet academic community I felt confident that I would have no harder time getting a job after vet school than anyone else from the US schools.

Thank you for sharing that FinleyMonkey. It's extremely encouraging to hear about your positive experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely share some of the sentiments going on in this thread. I haven't received any acceptances yet, but I have two US interviews (which is sincerely a lot better outcome so far than I expected). I have applied to Dublin, and I think about Dublin every day. I believe I want to practice in Ireland some day, but it is a hard decision to go abroad than to stay in the States, and that's even with UCD being accredited. I guess it's always been my (naive) impression that people choose to attend international schools because they have trouble getting accepted to US schools. Am I totally crazy for picking UCD over a state school?

I guess it's always been my (naive) impression that people choose to attend international schools because they have trouble getting accepted to US schools. Am I totally crazy for picking UCD over a state school?

I know that there are a number of the students in my class that had acceptances to U.S. schools but chose to go here instead. You have to pick the school where you WANT to go and that will offer you the best opportunities as a student. (Oh, and finances play a part too...)

I definitely share some of the sentiments going on in this thread. I haven't received any acceptances yet, but I have two US interviews (which is sincerely a lot better outcome so far than I expected). I have applied to Dublin, and I think about Dublin every day. I believe I want to practice in Ireland some day, but it is a hard decision to go abroad than to stay in the States, and that's even with UCD being accredited. I guess it's always been my (naive) impression that people choose to attend international schools because they have trouble getting accepted to US schools. Am I totally crazy for picking UCD over a state school?

I'm in this boat too. Granted, I haven't heard any good news yet from a US school, but Dublin is always in my mind too... What a life experience it would be. I definitely don't think you are crazy, but Packen has a point- finances. If this isn't an issue for you, follow your heart!!!!!!!

Received an acceptance email from Edinburgh this morning, so all those of you like me who has been chewing their nails in anticipation...ya'll should be receiving your emails soon, if not already.

I still haven't received anything from RVC, but at this point my heart has been set on Edinburgh and Glasgow so I don't really care much.

Also has anyone checked how much the tuition is gonna cost for Edinburgh? I don't have a very good idea of the value of a Pound, so I converted it and almost had a heart attack. I guess owning a house within 5 years of graduation is out of the question.

Off to do a quick research on Visa, student loans, traveling with pets, housing and transfering money from one bank to another. I believe I can find most info here, but whatever I gather hopefully I will be able to help you guys out if need be.

Hope to hear more good news here soon! And yay to us UK peeps!

Received an acceptance email from Edinburgh this morning, so all those of you like me who has been chewing their nails in anticipation...ya'll should be receiving your emails soon, if not already.

I still haven't received anything from RVC, but at this point my heart has been set on Edinburgh and Glasgow so I don't really care much.

Also has anyone checked how much the tuition is gonna cost for Edinburgh? I don't have a very good idea of the value of a Pound, so I converted it and almost had a heart attack. I guess owning a house within 5 years of graduation is out of the question.

Off to do a quick research on Visa, student loans, traveling with pets, housing and transfering money from one bank to another. I believe I can find most info here, but whatever I gather hopefully I will be able to help you guys out if need be.

Hope to hear more good news here soon! And yay to us UK peeps!
Yay! Congratulations! Another future Dick vet!

Quick question.
I'm thinking of dropping Physics because I want to use that time to do some more volunteer work in the animal shelter and possibly something else related to large animal...since I managed to get in without a diverse veterinary field experience (mainly a very extensive small animal experience). I checked back on the requirement document Caroline Gilroy sent me for 2011, and it's written : "A minimum of one year of Chemistry, and additional courses in Biology, Physics and/or Mathematics are required". Now, I may be a ****** with the English language, but this means as long as you take either Physics or college level Math, you're good to go, right? No need to take both. I just wanted to clarify this before I drop the course.
I'm still going to take O Chem 2 this semester though, since last sem I got a C on it and would like to show them I can do well on a tough subject. Plus despite it not be a requirement, still shows effort that I'm not slacking. Now Physics...I think I can survive without it. lol

Busy time for ya'll too I'm sure, but would really appreciate a quick feedback! And yeah, I know I can ask other non-vet related people, but I feel more secure asking you guys.

Ah, forgot to mention I'm a non-science degree holder (Anthropology, minor in History) and Physics isn't even mentioned for people like me, just saids high grades in Science courses including Chem and Bio.

Why am I dealing with this now? Because I'm a ****** and self-doubting my every move.

Quick question.
I'm thinking of dropping Physics because I want to use that time to do some more volunteer work in the animal shelter and possibly something else related to large animal...since I managed to get in without a diverse veterinary field experience (mainly a very extensive small animal experience). I checked back on the requirement document Caroline Gilroy sent me for 2011, and it's written : "A minimum of one year of Chemistry, and additional courses in Biology, Physics and/or Mathematics are required". Now, I may be a ****** with the English language, but this means as long as you take either Physics or college level Math, you're good to go, right? No need to take both. I just wanted to clarify this before I drop the course.
I'm still going to take O Chem 2 this semester though, since last sem I got a C on it and would like to show them I can do well on a tough subject. Plus despite it not be a requirement, still shows effort that I'm not slacking. Now Physics...I think I can survive without it. lol

Busy time for ya'll too I'm sure, but would really appreciate a quick feedback! And yeah, I know I can ask other non-vet related people, but I feel more secure asking you guys.

If you have any doubt I would call the school and ask them specifically what you need. I wouldnt take anyones word for it unless its someone directly from the schools admissions office.

Ask the school. If it is a conditional offer, I am pretty sure you have to finish. Unconditional, you could not get your Bachelor's and still go. It really depends. Don't drop it until you get confirmation.

I shared some of the same sentiments as well. But at the end of the day, potential bosses should compare you to other students based on passing the NAVLE, grades/class rank, and personality/how well you would fit into their practice; not whether you came from an accredited school which they perceive as better than another. When I was accepted and still deciding to attend or not my uncle did some research for me (he is a professor at a very prestigious school and while not in the vet field, still knows about academics and "prestige") and basically told me that everyone he talked to spoke volumes about Edinburgh and academically the UK schools are known for being some of the best ....

Thanks so much for your responce. I have found the same thing but there have been a few people (no vets just random people) who told me I'd not get hired if I went abroad. I think alot of it is this idea that US schools are the best, which, they are very very good, but I think most medical degrees are becoming more and more international and how wouldn't it help me to have my bachelor from a US school but my DVM from a UK one. Wouldn't that make me more competitve? I guess in the end we all take the plunge wherever we think we will fit in best and go from there. I refuse to chose to go to a school I'm not as excited about because of other people's fears. So glad I have this place to keep my sane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Anyone got accepted to Edinburgh and still going to the Glasgow interview? I will be, I want my options open.

I want to know how many of you will choose Glasgow and how many will choose Edinburgh. Both are amazing schools with great programmes, but I hear different things from different people, and since I cannot afford to go to Scotland and check these two schools out on my own (time wise and financially), so unfortunately I do not have more than what I've picked up online.

I am interviewing this Monday for Glasgow. I don't think I will pick them over Edinburgh though, just because of the 5 year program being more expensive for me in the long run. But who knows? Maybe they will change my mind when I meet and talk with them. I'm so nervous. I've never had to do an interview like this before and I don't want to let my dad down. He wants me to get in everywhere (gee thanks dad. No problem!). Try asking Glasgow students on this thread for more info. It sounds like a wonderful school. http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/studentlife/

I am a first year here in Glasgow and love it! We just had a meeting today about changes in the curriculum. They are increasing the amount of practical experience we get starting in first year to go along with our normal curriculum. For example, as part of our anatomy lessons on the abdominal muscles, we learned how to perform laparotomies last week and how to suture up the body wall. I very much like the integration of knowledge and practicals.

I have also heard, perhaps not starting next year, but that they are looking into starting a 4 year program for incoming American students.

If anyone has any specific questions on Glasgow, feel free to post here or PM me. I don't know much about Edinburgh, but I can at least offer a point of comparison.

Have fun at your interviews! I had a blast at mine, the interviewers are fantastic.

I'm also a first year at Glasgow. I was fortunate enough to be accepted by and visit both Edinburgh and Glasgow before I had to make my decision. Both schools are wonderful! I decided on Glasgow because the people I met there (especially Joyce!) were so especially super warm and welcoming. It could have gone either way, though, and I'm sure I would have been happy. Good luck to all!

And I'm a third year, so I can help round out opinions/answer questions if y'all have them before your interviews!

The curriculum changes really are outstanding. They really listened hard to what the students wanted and needed. My class will be the first to go through the new 5th year clinics, and I honestly can.not.wait. :D

We used to have a direct entry for Americans to come in and start with the second years, but with increasing class size, that was no longer possible. The costs sort of round themselves out between the 4 and 5 year programs, but only you know what you can/want to handle. I personally loved having the extra year, and am still paying less than I would be OOS back home. All of the schools have very distinct personalities, and you will receive a wonderful education now matter where you go!

Also, fun little video for you all. We are celebrating our 150th Birthday this year, and to kick start the party, we had quite a famous veterinary guest! :hardy::

http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_220652_en.html

Good luck on your interviews! Joyce is amazing.

Does anyone know how the Glasgow facilities compare to the new facilities in Edinburgh?

Does anyone know how the Glasgow facilities compare to the new facilities in Edinburgh?

Well, our Small Animal Hospital was completed and opened in my first year (09), and was a multi-billion pound project. Absolutely beautiful inside.

Weipers Equine might be a tiny bit smaller than Edinburgh??, but was again, only completed a few years before the SAH, so very new and shiny.

They are in the process of beginning the Glass Project, which will knock down and rebuild the "Student Center" with new ref, study areas, classrooms, and hang out spaces. Some of the teaching buildings are a little older, but all functional.

I know that Edinburgh has a new teaching building but I couldn't really find anything on their teaching hospital. Does anyone know how the teaching hospitals themselves compare? I find myself leaning towards Edinburgh but if the teaching facilities are better at Glasgow, it is certainly something to consider. Thank you so much Shortnsweet for the info. It really helps! I loved the link for your honored guest btw. I was getting so sappy hearing about James Herriot and seeing the old pictures. :)

I know that Edinburgh has a new teaching building but I couldn't really find anything on their teaching hospital. Does anyone know how the teaching hospitals themselves compare? I find myself leaning towards Edinburgh but if the teaching facilities are better at Glasgow, it is certainly something to consider. Thank you so much Shortnsweet for the info. It really helps! I loved the link for your honored guest btw. I was getting so sappy hearing about James Herriot and seeing the old pictures. :)

Ah ok I see what you are trying to get at now. Sorry!

The main difference between us and Edinburgh is that they do have a small animal first opinion hospital, and Glasgow does not. It is referral only as of now. I say "as of now" because in the next few years, Glasgow will probably start becoming a first opinion practice. Just because we are a referral only hospital, however, does not mean that we "miss" anything . And, with the addition of the new curriculum, your Glasgow experience will be tailored to what clinical direction you want to go (think more of a US track type thing). They will work with you to develop your clinical years and EMS experiences, yet you will learn everything you need to know to be a well rounded vet graduating with all the Day One Skills and NAVLE knowledge you need.

As far as the teaching aspect, however, either school will teach you everything you need to know, plus some. We flipflop #1 and 2 every year based on the ranking system. The faculty and facilities at both schools are top notch. :)

Hope that helps a little bit!

Oh and PS...thanks to you for sharing the student life video. Had never seen that new version before! Hello friends making cameos left and right!

Thank you again. This is great information to consider!
That is so cool that you got to see your friends in the video! I'm glad I could show it to you.
Another random question. I see you like horses! Do you know anything about the school's equestrian teams? I have a particular interest in polo (I like a tough sport to brighten up my day). I love dressage but I'd like to try my hand at something a bit more gritty. Any insight into this aspect of Glasgow? Or Edinburgh and RVC if anyone knows!

Hi everyone,
So I just had my interview in NYC with RVC and the interviewer told me that RVC vet graduates are able to practice vet medicine within the EU, while vet grads from Glasgow and Edinburgh can not. I still plan to practice in N.A when I graduate, but I wasn't aware of this. Does anyone know if this is true?

Hi everyone,
So I just had my interview in NYC with RVC and the interviewer told me that RVC vet graduates are able to practice vet medicine within the EU, while vet grads from Glasgow and Edinburgh can not. I still plan to practice in N.A when I graduate, but I wasn't aware of this. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm pretty sure graduates of both Glasgow and Edinburgh are able to practice in the EU as well since both are accredited by European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education. That's also the impression I got from the information I received at/ before my interview with Glasgow last year. If anyone else has more information, please correct me. Definitely don't want to mislead anyone.

Hi everyone,

Completely false. We are licensed to practice in NA, UK, EU, and the commonwealth (Australia, South Africa, etc.). Whoever that interviewer at RVC was needs to get their facts straight.

Thank you again. This is great information to consider!
That is so cool that you got to see your friends in the video! I'm glad I could show it to you.
Another random question. I see you like horses! Do you know anything about the school's equestrian teams? I have a particular interest in polo (I like a tough sport to brighten up my day). I love dressage but I'd like to try my hand at something a bit more gritty. Any insight into this aspect of Glasgow? Or Edinburgh and RVC if anyone knows!

I do in fact like horses :) The vet school used to have its own club that went on weekly lessons and trail rides, but it has been quite quiet recently--minus Dick Day. The main university club, however, is quite active. You can join as a competition member or just a once a week lesson person, and I know they have dressage, jumping, etc.. I imagine there is polo, but don't hold me to that. I have a friend in fourth year on the team who I could ask. There are also a ton of barns in and around Glasgow that you could ride for independently.

I do in fact like horses :) The vet school used to have its own club that went on weekly lessons and trail rides, but it has been quite quiet recently--minus Dick Day. The main university club, however, is quite active. You can join as a competition member or just a once a week lesson person, and I know they have dressage, jumping, etc.. I imagine there is polo, but don't hold me to that. I have a friend in fourth year on the team who I could ask. There are also a ton of barns in and around Glasgow that you could ride for independently.
I'm glad to hear that this is false. It didn't make any sense to me!

Thanks for the info about the teams. Please do let me know if you find out about the polo team. :)

I don't really have much to add to what Shortnsweet has written. Our teaching hospitals are all out where the new teaching building was built in order to keep everything closer together. As a first year, I haven't spent much time in the clinical buildings. I do enjoy having the Roslyn Institute right here too. Many of our lecturers are researchers from the institute, and I really enjoyed a lot of their lectures on bacteriology and virology.

ETA: the vet school has an equine/riding club, but the University also has a polo team

Last edited:
So I don't come on here much, but I will post a few things about my school to help any prospectants. If you post a bunch of questions after, I may not get round to answering them for a few weeks-months really! I'll try to be comprehensive. I am in my 3rd out of 4 years (did the graduate entry program) here at Edinburgh.

The city and country are beautiful. If you are a person that is not prone to getting homesick you will do just fine being away. There are endless opportunities to travel cheaply to do veterinary related things or just for fun. It is an adjustment at first, moving to a different country, but give yourself a year at least to fully appreciate things. We all went through phases of regret coming here, as well as pure gratitude and excitement about our choice.

The university has its pros and cons just like every school. I came here not because I didn't get offers from state schools (I got two), but because it was actually my cheapest option and I had visited the school before I accepted and liked it. I also recently noticed that the tuition is now 26,400 pounds a year! Even at the current exchange rate (which is historically good) that is very expensive. When I started my tuition was fixed at 20,900 pounds a year- which works out on average to about $33,000 per year (which compared to what I would have payed at Penn or Tufts as OOS is much less). Anyway, I still feel that when I tell people where I go to school, they assume I wasn't smart enough to get into school in the states. I wish I could shake that feeling, but truthfully many people do come here because they didn't get an offer in the states. I guess I just have to get over that!

Academically, things can be weird. From what I hear state-side, most vet students are in class like 8-4 or 9-5. We have some days like that, but usually its more like 4-5 hours of class per day (sometimes more, sometimes less). They do not teach you everything you need to know always, you really have to take it upon yourself to do outside/additional reading like they tell you to, and not just memorize your notes. There is a reason we usually have a few extra hours off each day.

Your first year of 'EMS' is animal husbandry- some of this is useful, and some of it is the worst experience ever and a waste of time. My dairy experience was very good and helpful since I didn't have any hands on experience with cattle before, and lambing is a blast as well, although no one in the states will care that you lambed 300 ewes in the middle of the night by yourself. My poultry experience consisted of a week of collecting eggs basically. Biggest waste of time ever. After first year, you move onto 'clinical EMS'- in other words, externships. Whenever I did an externship in 2nd year or this year, which I mostly did in the states, some vets kept assuming I was in my final year when I had only just started my clinical years and basically only knew my anatomy and physiology and little bit of anesthesia and surgery or whatever. I'm sure these vets thought I was an idiot because I didn't know anything clinical at the time. So make sure you are clear about your experience so far!

Also, there is a huge age range of people at school, so you are not just with 19-20 year olds. There are plenty of British students that do a vet degree as their second degree too. However, the 19-20 year olds are immature, even for that age, and often incredibly annoying. No point in sugar coating it!

A few things I wish I had known before coming:
Many Americans don't know where Edinburgh is, let alone whether it has a good vet school or not. It is a good vet school, it will get you to pass your NAVLE, but often there will be a stigma attached to you, AVMA accredited or not.

You will graduate in late June of your final year. State schools graduate their students in May. Therefore, you are out of the running for many internships your first year after graduation. Competitive internships get more applicants than they know what to do with, and they are not going to go out of their way to give you a later start date and let you miss orientation unless they REALLY, REALLY like you. Additionally, they don't use class rank or GPA here, which are often important criteria in selecting interns at many places. You get number grades, and a transcript, but it probably won't make much sense to the selection committees in the states. If they see a 75 average (which is an A here), they may think you are a terrible student and it's an extra hassle to have to send along an explanation of grades with your application. I just think it's difficult for them to compare you well enough to US students applying.

If you do not have a realistic idea of what your monthly loan payments will be after graduation, and what your starting salary will be, do not commit to vet school period. You really need to work this out before you go.

The school is AVMA accredited, yes. They make every effort to teach you about things you need to know for work in America. However, the program is ultimately geared toward working in Britain, and you don't have lectures on practice management, legislative things, and a handful of other things. Obviously, you can learn this stuff on your own though and something like 95-100% of people that take the NAVLE here pass it. It would just be easier if we knew what exactly was different/missing from the curriculum.

If you are seriously interested in equine, I don't know that I would come here. We don't have a huge caseload- however, we do have some fantastic equine professors (Paddy Dixon!). Just a heads up.

There is no neurology or ophthalmology rotation in final year- you get tutorials and a few practicals on them in final year, but that's it.

Importantly, a lot of your practical experience is dished out to 'EMS.' Great if you find good placements, crappy if you don't. I got to do a lot of neutering on EMS, but not everyone else does- and you get to do ONE spay/neuter in final year and that's it. And during the small animal surgery course, there is not much of a lab component. The only surgery labs we have are on surgical principles like suturing, gowning, gloving, etc. They don't even give you cadavers to practice on. I think the education you get on surgery here is therefore minimal at best. I just don't think listening to lectures on how to do surgeries and scrubbing in on difficult surgeries in final year in any way prepares you to do them on your own. Our surgery experience does not even compare to that students at Iowa State get for example.

Americans are here because the school gets money from them. All the students know this, and it seems like some of the British students really resent that sometimes. We all get along pretty well, but don't assume the school accepts Americans for any other reason than that.

So I realize a lot of this is negative (oops!), but on the plus side: most of my friends that graduated last year now have jobs at what seem to be nice practices. The few that applied to internships matched somewhere (I think it was only like 4 or 5 people though). The professors are great, you will gain invaluable life perspective living outside the insulated box that is the United States, the small animal hospital is really nice (Glasgow's may be nicer for the person that asked- but do a cheaper 4 year program PLEASE!), they are well aware of all the obstacles North Americans face coming to vet school here and are very helpful, you get to travel, the city is beautiful and the novelty has never worn away for me, and you definitely have more time off in final year than most schools!

I struggled a lot with whether I made the right decision or not, and have constantly compared myself and my degree to those state-side for the past 2 and a half years. My conclusion has been that vet school is what you make of it, and if you study hard and don't flit around with your extra time off, you will be just as smart and prepared as graduates from other schools in most areas. It all depends on the student and not the school. Really.

So I guess that's all I can think of right now. It is a serious decision, and despite the wealth of info on SDN, there was a lot I still did not know before coming here. I hope some of this helps you with your decision. If I could do it over again, I don't know what I would pick honestly. I value the life experience I have gotten here and all the traveling I have gotten to do in Europe and Asia. In the grand scheme of things, life is short and if you can afford it, it is an amazing place to be and experience. On the other hand, I am pretty type A and wish that I was going to be more prepared and seriously considered for very competitive internships, and from that perspective, I wish I had taken one of my offers from the northeast vet schools. So I guess I really don't know if the grass would be greener on the other side or not- it all depends which way you look at it.

Last edited:
I got worried too, reading this post. But hear me out:

One of my favorite doctor I've ever met graduated from Glasgow and she was awesome at what she did. She told me she gained a lot of experience in surgery during her student years (final year) and none of the doctors, LVTs, assistants, receptionists or clients see her as less of a doctor because her title is BVM&S, instead of DVM. I'm pretty sure the same surgical experience applies in Edinburgh too...

Wasn't there a whole thread dedicated to this anxiety of a different title=overseas schools=not good enough? When I told the doctors I got into U of Edinburgh, they were all genuinely thrilled for me and said it was a great school. One of the vet I work with that graduated from Virginia Tech gushed about Edinburgh when I was in the process of applying, and said the only reason why he chose Virginia Tech over Edinburgh was because of the tuition (he applied IS), and if he didn't have to worry about finances, he would have definitely chosen Edinburgh because of their amazing program and the experience of living in a foreign country. Not to mention having a degree worthy of working in other countries besides the US. The possibilities really are endless.

The "holistic" approach in their admissions process may be synonymous to "easier to get in", but I doubt they would accept anyone if they did not believe the applicant had the dedication, intelligence, and whatever else state schools look for to make it in vet school. I've read Dick vet blogs and posts here and the curriculum isn't going to be any easier than state schools...those men and women deal with insanely heavy course loads like any other state schools. And honestly, living in a foreign country for the past 22 years has taught me that some Americans can be super obnoxious about their education system. Yeah, our schools are great but this country is not the only land producing intelligent and highly educated individuals. Never would I want to be someone that looks down on others simply because I don't recognize the name of their university, and those with an attitude like that, imo, are not even worth worrying about. People that matter will know that your degree matters, and judge you not for the school you graduated from, but for the assets you possess that makes you a good veterinarian and a valuable employee/colleague/friend.

So bigkittinteef, take what thalamus52 said with a grain of salt and don't be disappointed just yet. Our goal is to become great vets and save lives; getting into a nationally recognizable school is only an option and personal preference :)

My fear is not regarding how well known the school is. I'm upset about the lack of surgery experience. One spay/neuter? Lectures but no practical experience in surgery with animals? I want to specialize in orthopedics. If the lack of surgery hours is true, I'm heartbroken.

Sorry, I mistook your post. I actually posted a reply to the other thread if you want to take a look at that.

But am also waiting on other current dick vets, esp the ones in their final year to shed us a better light. I just don't believe we won't be getting proper surgical experience. Keep your hopes up.

My fear is not regarding how well known the school is. I'm upset about the lack of surgery experience. One spay/neuter? Lectures but no practical experience in surgery with animals? I want to specialize in orthopedics. If the lack of surgery hours is true, I'm heartbroken.

I am just a third year so don't know all the in's and out's yet but I will add a couple of things. We have to do 26 weeks of clinical experience. In the UK, the vet practices here are very used to having veterinary students from 3rd and 4th year working with them. It is my understanding that we are supposed to get a lot of our practical experience (including spay/neutering) at these clinics, as they are very used to being involved in the teaching aspects. Yes, some placements will be better than others. It is what you make of it. If you want to specialize in orthopedics, then book clinical EMS in the orthopedics department. For instance, I am planning on doing EMS at a spay/neuter clinic to get extra practice. I am perfectly happy with my decision to come here and could not picture myself anywhere else. But everyone is different, so it is really important that you research schools to make sure it will be a good fit for you.

Well said, Yann, I could not have put it better. I'm hoping some other Dick vets will chime in, but this is my Glasgow view.

Thalamus was right in not sugar coating the experience, but ask people at other schools in the states and abroad, and they would probably be quite similar in certain respects. With regards to the immaturity of the British students, I have seen glimpses, but have never felt complete resentment because I am American. Many of them are my friends who I would call to hang out on the weekends. I am unsure why Edinburgh does not have rotations in neuro etc, but Glasgow does. And with the RCVS checking in on these schools all the time, there is no way they would accredit the programs if students could not meet Day One Skills. One of the real beauties of the UK programs, is the time built in for EMS. YOU get to build your experience. They give you ample time over breaks to travel all over and build on your skills. That is where your surgical skills are strengthened. They give you the basics, and you have to go find places (not alone of course) where you can expand and reflect on your knowledge from lecture. Many of my peers take Spring Break to go to places like India, Egypt, Malta, and Cyprus to work at shelters where they do hundreds of spays and neuters. That is where they get to fine tune their skills. There is just not enough time in the day, nor enough patients for students in school to get as much practice as they need. Sx is one of those things that you just need to do over and over again, but school is not the place where it is going to happen. You will constantly be learning even after you get your diploma.

Oh my. I feel I have inadvertently worried or upset some people! I was just trying to give a balanced, realistic view of the school.

With respect to the lack of surgical experience- this is really not unique to Edinburgh. Many state side graduates leave vet school having done only one or two spays/neuters. Others have community practice rotations where they do much more. So don't let that get you down too much. Many new graduates are only semi-confident with spaying just after school, and it takes practice. Also, shortnsweet is right, many UK practices are used to having students on their breaks, and many will let you do some surgery if they are comfortable with you. I did half a cat spay my first year of vet school- I really had no idea what I was doing, but the vet basically talked me through it. I've done a few more since, and think I will have no major problems doing one come final year. And shortnsweet is right, most vet schools give very limited on-your-own, not-just-scrubbed-in surgical experience, and I hear very mixed reports on how helpful practicing on cadavers is anyway.

If you want to specialize in orthopedic surgery- no matter where you go, it is highly unlikely you will be doing any orthopedic procedures during school. You would first do an internship, then apply for residency. And like shortnsweet said, you can do all your externships with an orthopaedic surgeon if you like and scrub in hundreds of times to get some more practice. So don't let that influence your choice so much. We have two ortho surgeons here (for small animal, I think we have 2 equine ones too) who are both lovely.

Also, maybe I didn't convey this well, but I am not all perturbed by the fact my degree is a BVM&S. No one will care about that so much, unless they are very elitist. Once you are in practice, I don't think anyone will think any less of you, and your personal and communication skills will count for much, much more than anything- probably more so than even your clinical knowledge.

I think my point is, as yann was mentioning, that unfortunately there are some elitist, stuck-up people out there that automatically assume American schools are better than everywhere else. I wish that weren't the case, but some of the competitive internship programs may hold some bias about foreign schools. Not always or everywhere, but sometimes. The grading system may leave them unable to accurately compare you (before interviews) to students from the US unfortunately. If you are not considering an internship, then none of this really matters.

Interestingly enough, this sort of elitism occurs over here too. Edinburgh is one of the UK's best universities, and if I were staying in the UK and mentioned where I went, people would know immediately and probably be impressed. Most people here (other than vets at academic, or semi-academic institutions) have no idea what/where UPenn or Cornell are. Our neuro professor, who is English, even mentioned to us that she went to University of Florida for vet school because she didn't get in to a UK school. So obviously, it seems to be the same thing across the pond.

Also, to the concern about the no neuro or ophtho rotation- some state schools don't have dedicated services for these either. It doesn't mean you won't know anything about neuro when you graduate. You learn all the same things, you just don't have a rotation on it. And there is space for 'electives' in final year, during which I am thinking of going to Glasgow to do a neuro rotation.

It really is just a few things to think about, or perhaps bring up as questions at the reception if you wish. I hope I didn't portray a terribly negative portrait of the school or something...I just wanted to be helpful and share a few of the reservations/struggles I went through.

I guess the biggest advice I would have is to seriously consider the cost of vet school in general. I was well aware of exactly what loan payments I would be facing upon graduation- partly because Edinburgh guarantees your tuition will not increase the entire 4 years, which is a big plus. I think it really needs to be a major factor in your decision. Good luck!

Last edited:

To reiterate what some others just said, if your goal is to become a board certified veterinary surgeon, you will need to complete a residency. That is where you will get all of your orthopedic training and experience. And even as a resident, it is not often that you are lead surgeon on most cases. I have worked for a vet school's surgical department and a private surgical referral clinic. At the vet school (in the US) the students were only allowed to watch, and occasionally hand over instruments. The head surgeon, residents and interns did everything else. The private small animal surgeon was not cutting on his own until his last 8 mos in his residency.

Since this is my first year, I can attest to the amount of surgical experience we will get. But from what I have heard, I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of clinical EMS.

Hey Guys!! I've been mostly absent the last 6-8 months on here so I apologize for the lack of UCD updates!! (Our last semester was supposedly the worst we'll have and it definitely felt like!! So I didn't have much time to comment) Anyways I'm in my 2nd year of the 4 year program in Dublin and I'm the class rep/president for our class of 2014 and if you email John Buckley with random questions you usually get referred to me haha. So!! To start: NO YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!! :) I picked Dublin over 2 US schools (I also went to Tufts for my BSEE and MS and chose to go to the UK/Ireland for school mostly on the advice from the vets I worked with at TCSVM (other reasons = cost, EU adventures, traveling, ability to practice in NA, EU, UK, Australia etc. when I'm done and many others). The bias' you encountered based on the fact that you're attending school outside the US is generally from people that don't know much about vet stuff in general, the majority of vets hold UK degrees in VERY high regard (unlike the caribbean degrees) but either way its just opinion and won't have any bearing on what kind of vet you'll actually be and you shouldn't let it sway your opinion or decisions. I absolutely love Dublin and my program etc. but with that being said thalamus52's post isn't that far off from what you'll encounter with any program in the UK including Dublin. The people on here have a tendency to apply more frequency to Ediburgh, Glasgow, and RVC because their tuition is cheaper than Dublin but my tuition is still much cheaper than if I had gone to Tufts etc. And after living in NYC and Boston the cost of living in Dublin is the same if not better.

Anyways what I was trying to say is if you have any questions about UCD, Dublin, studying internationally, bringing your dog/pets with you, moving, acceptances blah blah blah, let me know!! You can PM me or post on here, I'll try and check back more frequently this semester :)

:luck: M.A.

PS I got my phone call telling me I was accepted exactly 2 years ago today, its amazing how that one message changed my life!! (Also don't panic if you don't hear from them soon, they do a kind of rolling admissions all the way through the spring and don't send out rejections so no news is not bad news!)

Hi MAS! I applied to Dublin via Atlantic Bridge, not VMCAS. They told me I won't hear anything until the end of March or into April! Guuuuursh-what a long wait. Anyway, I can't wait to hear. I'd absolutely love to go there! I have a newfie too, by the way :D

I'm in this boat too. Granted, I haven't heard any good news yet from a US school, but Dublin is always in my mind too... What a life experience it would be. I definitely don't think you are crazy, but Packen has a point- finances. If this isn't an issue for you, follow your heart!!!!!!!

Its definitely an amazing experience!! I really hope you get in/choose to come to Dublin!

PS is that a newfie in your avatar?!?! And is it yours?? And will you bring him/her with you!?!? My Wyatt needs more Newfie friends here in Dubs :)

PS is that a newfie in your avatar?!?! And is it yours?? And will you bring him/her with you!?!? My Wyatt needs more Newfie friends here in Dubs :)

It IS a newfie in my avatar, but not mine. My girl is 5 and 1/2. I definitely want to bring her, and she would LOVE a friend... if that time comes, I will definitely be in contact! :luck:

It IS a newfie in my avatar, but not mine. My girl is 5 and 1/2. I definitely want to bring her, and she would LOVE a friend... if that time comes, I will definitely be in contact! :luck:

Wyatt's just over 3 and a 1/2 they'd have so much fun together!! haha :)

But yeah if you applied via ABP then you may hear back a little later but its also a sort of rolling acceptance so if they review your application early you might hear earlier than that (or later ... its a double edged sword!)

Good luck!!!

Thank you everyone for the follow up advice regarding Edinburgh. This is all very good to know.
Good news: Just had my Glasgow interview and was accepted on the spot! They were so nice and funny! I couldn't have asked for a better experience! :love:

Congratulations bigkittinteef!! I have mine next week.
Which do you think you'll choose?! It's awesome that you get to pick your school :)

Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you?

Thank you everyone for the follow up advice regarding Edinburgh. This is all very good to know.
Good news: Just had my Glasgow interview and was accepted on the spot! They were so nice and funny! I couldn't have asked for a better experience! :love:

:thumbup::highfive::soexcited:

Thanks yann and shortnsweet. They started by asking me about my trip and stuff (which helped calm my nerves--such sweethearts), then they asked about my large animal experience with a few specific questions on that topic (they'll ask about your experiences so review your app and personal statement), they asked me a couple of ethics questions (ie prosthetic limbs for pets when owners could put the money towards saving other animals?, kidney transplants from shelter cats to pet cats--is it right as long as they adopt the shelter cat?). I was not familiar with the situations and they explained them so I could answer. I made my stance clear but also verbally expressed how I understood both sides' reasons politely. Joyce said she agreed with my stances (phew!). They asked me about my interests (ie large animals? small? specialty?). They asked what are negatives I view regarding vet med.
Overall, I found they were really easy to talk to and we were laughing a lot, I told them where the best meat in town was and no joke, they got excited and wrote down the place's info. They laughed when I told them how I had to chase coyotes away from the farm's calves with nothing more than a stick and a little hollering. I didn't feel like they held the one question I couldn't answer against me (a specific disease name from my experience) because I offered my knowledge of treatment instead. They liked that I had questions for them and the program and seemed pleased when I told them I had discussed Glasgow with current students on SDN (that's you shortnsweet!!!). Just look at the questions on the interview feedback section for Glasgow, review your app, and have fun! I could not have asked for a better interviewing experience. <3
P.S. Don't forget to print and cut out a small picture for your file.

Hey bigkittinteef,
I'm in my first year at RVC (in the grad/4 year program) and I'm on the polo team! I did hunter/jumper growing up, and all through college. Polo is pretty awesome and very different from any horse sport I'd done. For the most part we ride once a week (Its hard to fit in sports on top of vet school!), and the first year you train with all beginners - people who only started polo that calendar year. The polo ponies are awesome - so bombproof (especially compared to hunters) and they love playing the game!

Let me know if you have any other questions about it or RVC, (though I don't check into SDN too often...).