Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, are all of the UK schools MVB programs? I'm waiting to hear back from Dublin, but I'm really not sure if I want to go there, just because I won't be graduating with a DVM. Is that the lamest reason ever? Is anyone else feeling the same way? I mean, I already have a Bachelors and almost a Masters. Do I REALLY want to go into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for ANOTHER Bachelors degree??? Ugh, IDK. Help.

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said: they are all equivalent to a DVM. You will still be considered a doctor when coming back to the states. There is no difference. The only reason it's a bachelor's here is because you start vet school at 18.

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping to apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow next Fall ( I think :scared:). I am really worried about finding a flat that will allow four animals ( A pug and three cats). I will be living alone until my boyfriend finishes his PHd.

Does anyone have any experience in this area in terms of cost of living and just finding a place?

Thanks!

How do students at UCD take notes (pen and paper, typing on a computer, drawing on a tablet, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do students at UCD take notes (pen and paper, typing on a computer, drawing on a tablet, etc)?

Pretty much all of those ways :laugh: Most of the Irish students just use pen & paper, but a few bring computers to class. I use my ipad for note taking and make notations right on the lecture notes since all professors use powerpoint presentations.

Cool! Would you recommend getting a tablet?

Hi - I'm trying to look for housing for London for first year at RVC starting this September. I'll be bringing my 2 small dogs with me so I can't live in student housing. Does anyone have any tips for finding an apt near the Camden campus that allows pets? Is anyone in the same boat that may want to share an apt? (I'll be moving from New York City.) Thanks!

Ok, it looks like I need to clarify... I KNOW that I will be able to practice vet med the same as anyone with a DVM degree with a EU degree. The only superficial thing that bothers me is the fact that I want a Doctorate degree, not another Bachelor's degree. I was simply just seeing if anyone had been mulling over the same thing that I am. I've talked with a couple other vets/pre-vets that based their school decision on this. I am not, BY ANY MEANS trying to degrade the EU/UK programs at ALLLLL! Please please please don't take what I said the wrong way. I know they are all great programs and produce awesome vets (I work with one!), this is just a personal decision :) love you guys!!! :love:

Cool! Would you recommend getting a tablet?

Definitely, if you have the extra funds I would. I was lucky enough to get my ipad as a birthday gift from my aunt, but have found it incredibly useful to have in class for note taking, other apps, and just its portability as opposed to my laptop (which has a 16" screen). If it not necessary to have one and you can get by fine without one, but I really like having mine and find it a great tool. :)

Ok, it looks like I need to clarify... I KNOW that I will be able to practice vet med the same as anyone with a DVM degree with a EU degree. The only superficial thing that bothers me is the fact that I want a Doctorate degree, not another Bachelor's degree. I was simply just seeing if anyone had been mulling over the same thing that I am. I've talked with a couple other vets/pre-vets that based their school decision on this. I am not, BY ANY MEANS trying to degrade the EU/UK programs at ALLLLL! Please please please don't take what I said the wrong way. I know they are all great programs and produce awesome vets (I work with one!), this is just a personal decision :) love you guys!!! :love:

I guess I am just not sure what the hang up is on the letters behind your name after you get the degree. (the clients sure as hell don't care & any intelligent vet would not as well) You said the reason you are considering not going with an EU/UK degree is you don't want to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on another bachelors degree, but is that really the point. You are not spending the money on another bachelors degree - you are spending it on the degree that will make you a veterinarian - the career you want. Just because it is considered something different over here - who the f' cares! The whole education system is different over here. And just something to consider - when you graduate from veterinary school over here you can practice veterinary medicine pretty much anywhere in the world as the schools have agreements with a lot of the countries, so there are a lot less hoops to jump through if you have your degree from the EU or UK. Whereas if you have your degree from the US, well it is going to be a lot harder to get work in another country should you choose to do so. Not sure what your plans are for the future - maybe you want to live in the US for the rest of your life. But I like keeping my options open. :D

There is still a good chance I will go to Dublin (if I even get accepted!!), so I haven't decided on anything yet it's just something I've been thinking about. I really hope I haven't offended you, devyn! I know it is not a big deal to most people and it shouldn't be, but I am just being a stickler. And yeah, I'll probably end up staying in the US :)

I guess I am just not sure what the hang up is on the letters behind your name after you get the degree. (the clients sure as hell don't care & any intelligent vet would not as well) You said the reason you are considering not going with an EU/UK degree is you don't want to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on another bachelors degree, but is that really the point. You are not spending the money on another bachelors degree - you are spending it on the degree that will make you a veterinarian - the career you want. Just because it is considered something different over here - who the f' cares! The whole education system is different over here. And just something to consider - when you graduate from veterinary school over here you can practice veterinary medicine pretty much anywhere in the world as the schools have agreements with a lot of the countries, so there are a lot less hoops to jump through if you have your degree from the EU or UK. Whereas if you have your degree from the US, well it is going to be a lot harder to get work in another country should you choose to do so. Not sure what your plans are for the future - maybe you want to live in the US for the rest of your life. But I like keeping my options open. :D

Not trying to jump in on this topic (since I haven't participated in this thread in a while), but just to give you guys my 0.02c, the biggest factor for me when deciding which vet schools to apply to...and ultimately choosing UK schools as my top choice schools were because of exactly what devyn here said: the opportunity to work pretty much anywhere in the world. I don't like the idea of being constrained to one country when the technique and knowledge I have can be used globally. I come from an international background where I grew up in Japan and went to an international school and met soo many diverse people. My curiosity for different cultures and countries have been growing since, oh I don't know, 8 or something.
Anywho. That's my 0.02 cents :)

So big development. I think I'm really starting to lean towards accepting my Glasgow offer. The more I've been thinking about it, the money isn't really an issue. Penn was my top choice state side and if I calculated the numbers correctly, I would be coming out with the same amouint of debt (~280k) if I went to Glasgow as if I had gone to Penn. Sooo glad I have such an expensive IS...

So for those vising, I'm really looking forward to your photos and thoughts on the campus and city. And for those currently attending ( I believe you guys said you're all on your breaks) but I was wondering if you could give me more info clubs or ways to get additional hands on experience. I really like how the state side schools have sooo many clubs that all have wet labs, etc. Also, do you guys have like month/bi monthly clinical skills practices? My ex at Newcastle for med school would have clinical skills sessions like every other month to practice skills like taking blood, blood pressure, etc and was just wondering if the vet school did stuff like that as well.

Also how did you guys adjust to having basically only a final to count for your grade? I did it while I was abroad and did fine (was actually my best year academically) but I'll be the first to admit I didn't always stay on top of my studies and lucked out that my exams were all like 4 days apart from each other both terms so I had plenty of time to study. I guess I'm just nervous because this is wayyy more information, but I could also see not having constant tests as a good thing.

Yeah Penn is crazy expensive. Even for IS. SGU is cheaper than IS Penn too. Crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also how did you guys adjust to having basically only a final to count for your grade? I did it while I was abroad and did fine (was actually my best year academically) but I'll be the first to admit I didn't always stay on top of my studies and lucked out that my exams were all like 4 days apart from each other both terms so I had plenty of time to study. I guess I'm just nervous because this is wayyy more information, but I could also see not having constant tests as a good thing.

I would also like to know about this.Notttt too excited about that.

As far as the other bachelor's thing... I think that was something to consider before applying.

And also another question: How long are the Dublin students generally in class? About 8 to 5 like US schools, or how does that work?

Also, can somebody speak on having an Apple computer in Dublin versus a PC? And would you recommend waiting to buy a new PC once in Dublin or before?

Also, can somebody speak on having an Apple computer in Dublin versus a PC? And would you recommend waiting to buy a new PC once in Dublin or before?

USA is usually cheaper for most things. You would just have to buy a charger over there, or use a converter all the time.

...can't answer as to your first question.

I knew quite a few people who Macs when I was in Newcastle and there was an Apple Store right in town if you had any problems. I'm sure Dublin can accommodate both. And you shouldn't have any problems bringing a PC to Ireland. All computers (as far as I know) operate on both volt ranges, so you don't have to worry about using a converter to use your computer. I would probably buy whatever computer you end up getting in the states because you won't have to deal with the exchange rate and I found that most technology was the same price as it was in the US without the exchange rate. I had considered buying a camera when I was there cause the screen cracked on mine, but decided against it because I would have paid like double due to the exchange rate.

So big development. I think I'm really starting to lean towards accepting my Glasgow offer. The more I've been thinking about it, the money isn't really an issue. Penn was my top choice state side and if I calculated the numbers correctly, I would be coming out with the same amouint of debt (~280k) if I went to Glasgow as if I had gone to Penn. Sooo glad I have such an expensive IS...

So for those vising, I'm really looking forward to your photos and thoughts on the campus and city. And for those currently attending ( I believe you guys said you're all on your breaks) but I was wondering if you could give me more info clubs or ways to get additional hands on experience. I really like how the state side schools have sooo many clubs that all have wet labs, etc. Also, do you guys have like month/bi monthly clinical skills practices? My ex at Newcastle for med school would have clinical skills sessions like every other month to practice skills like taking blood, blood pressure, etc and was just wondering if the vet school did stuff like that as well.

I can't speak for clubs or anything in Glasgow, but we have clinical skill classes that start first semester here. Then my 3rd year you are doing clinical EMS to help supplement those courses.

As for the grading...I am still struggling with it. My flatmate and I were just talking about this today actually. Since we are in review week right now trying to learn 104 lectures for two days worth of exams, I am of the opinion that the grass is greener elsewhere. But that is probably because I am sick of studying. It has it's pros and cons. I like the idea of tests throughout the semester so I can gauge how well I know the material. But it seems that the UK schools are producing well educated and well trained vets, so it system can't be too bad.

Okies...i'm going to try my best and answer your questions. Feel free to PM me if you want the link to my blog. I've got lots of entries and photos from the first two years which might help??

As for clubs, Glasgow has tons. Besides you being able to join all the Main University ones (of which there are hundreds), the vet school has plenty. All of these function under GUVMA, which is our student government. Off the top of my head, we have Path club, cow club, many sports teams, Rodeo, clinical club, zoo society, etc etc etc. BUT this year was SUPER exciting, because all of last year I tried my hardest to get the first chapter of SAVMA established outside of North America. Low and behold, we got it! Our chapter is really aimed at professional development. We are trying to raise funds to send people on EMS all over the world, we have been applying for grants, giving lectures on a broad range of topics, as well as hosting 3 wetlabs so far to practice clinical skills/stuff we need to know for OSCEs.

Our curriculum is also going through big changes (don't know if Joyce explained this to you in your interview?). For the first 3 years, an additional course called VPCS has been added in. It is a mix of practical skills, as well as lectures. So from day one, you are learning all the skills you need to know. There are a few open sessions throughout the year to practice, as well as formative (practice) OSCEs to give you a better idea of what the test will be like.

Only having one big exam takes some getting used to, but you will. The biggest shock for me was understanding that a 70 is an A, and when all is said and done, getting a 50 is all you need to do! The world will not end if you get a 50. Plus, you have a second chance with resits in August if you slip up. The mid-terms in December really help you get your bearings and help you figure out where you stand! Plus, upper years are always willing to lend a helping hand (or old notes!). For me, I think the system fits my learning style far better than the US one. Having tests all the time would just burn me out. Come May, you will be stressed, but we all help each other, and make it through!!:)

And I realize I just wrote a book. Apologies!

Okies...i'm going to try my best and answer your questions. Feel free to PM me if you want the link to my blog. I've got lots of entries and photos from the first two years which might help??

As for clubs, Glasgow has tons. Besides you being able to join all the Main University ones (of which there are hundreds), the vet school has plenty. All of these function under GUVMA, which is our student government. Off the top of my head, we have Path club, cow club, many sports teams, Rodeo, clinical club, zoo society, etc etc etc. BUT this year was SUPER exciting, because all of last year I tried my hardest to get the first chapter of SAVMA established outside of North America. Low and behold, we got it! Our chapter is really aimed at professional development. We are trying to raise funds to send people on EMS all over the world, we have been applying for grants, giving lectures on a broad range of topics, as well as hosting 3 wetlabs so far to practice clinical skills/stuff we need to know for OSCEs.

Our curriculum is also going through big changes (don't know if Joyce explained this to you in your interview?). For the first 3 years, an additional course called VPCS has been added in. It is a mix of practical skills, as well as lectures. So from day one, you are learning all the skills you need to know. There are a few open sessions throughout the year to practice, as well as formative (practice) OSCEs to give you a better idea of what the test will be like.

Only having one big exam takes some getting used to, but you will. The biggest shock for me was understanding that a 70 is an A, and when all is said and done, getting a 50 is all you need to do! The world will not end if you get a 50. Plus, you have a second chance with resits in August if you slip up. The mid-terms in December really help you get your bearings and help you figure out where you stand! Plus, upper years are always willing to lend a helping hand (or old notes!). For me, I think the system fits my learning style far better than the US one. Having tests all the time would just burn me out. Come May, you will be stressed, but we all help each other, and make it through!!:)

Okay, good to know that a 70 is considered an A. For my courses abroad a 63 was considered A (for my school's grading purposes only) and I just needed a 40 to pass. I'm glad to hear that it won't change that much from my time in the UK. I felt like I kind of preferred the way the system is set up over there as well, but I'm just nervous that my old procrastination habits will kick in and I don't want to screw it up since this is for my career.

So glad to hear there are a bunch of clubs and about the SAVMA chapter! That's very exciting news!! And the changes to the curriculum sound great. I think Joyce did mention them, but I'm usually too nervous a lot of times on interview days to retain information. Kinda horrible really. I'll definitely PM you for a link to your blog as I'd love to see some pictures and here about your experiences. Thanks for answering my questions!

Oh another question!
I might be remembering incorrectly, but when I interviewed last year, I thought I was told we would need to get vaccinated against TB because there are random pockets of still in the UK ( I think they said specifically in southern England...might be wrong). I'll email Joyce if none of you know, but I thought I'd ask here first. Plus, I'm waiting on a response from her already and don't want to send her a million emails.

Oh another question!
I might be remembering incorrectly, but when I interviewed last year, I thought I was told we would need to get vaccinated against TB because there are random pockets of still in the UK ( I think they said specifically in southern England...might be wrong). I'll email Joyce if none of you know, but I thought I'd ask here first. Plus, I'm waiting on a response from her already and don't want to send her a million emails.

No. Not required. And if they try to force you--just say no. Otherwise you will have to get x-rays the rest of your life because you test positive. As long as you get the neg. result on the PPD test, you're fine. :)

Make sure you get the MMR though, we recently had a Mumps outbreak!

I would also like to know about this.Notttt too excited about that.

As far as the other bachelor's thing... I think that was something to consider before applying.

And also another question: How long are the Dublin students generally in class? About 8 to 5 like US schools, or how does that work?

The grading system definitely something to get used to here and I am still getting used to it. Basically anything from 70-100 is an A which seems so odd to me, so yeah anything above a 50 is grand. :) At UCD, we do have midterms in some classes, but they are usually worth 15-25% at most & some classes will have projects (depending on the type of class or attendance will count towards your grade). The final at the end of the semester is usually work 50-70% of your grade in the class which is a huge change from the way we do things in the states. Most of the final exams are essay exams as well - some may have an MCQ component and if you are really lucky your entire final will be an oral exam. I have my 1st one this semester. :scared:

Our schedule tends to vary from week to week and often the labs will rotate each week for some classes, but typically you will be in lab or lecture for the majority of the day with maybe some breaks mid-day. It is not bad at all though. As the years progress the schedule gets harder from what I have seen/been told. This semester I spend every Tuesday out at the farm which is great hands-on learning & really breaks up my week nicely. :D

I couldn't figure out how to quote 2 portions, so as far as macs vs. pcs - there doesn't seem to be a preference toward one or another here. There is course an apple store in Dublin - like anywhere else in the world. :laugh: It really is personal preference. I would recommend buying in the US though as it is cheaper electronics wise. I bought my iPad over there before coming here as it was cheaper. I have a PC laptop. I use a plug converter to plug my laptop in and have no issues at all.

Hi Devyn,

I'm currently choosing between Dublin and Western University near home in California. I plan on visiting UCD during the second week of April and I'm interested in looking at housing options for students starting fall semester. Is there a group of current students looking for flatmates that I can talk to or maybe housing areas near campus that you can suggest? Can I even realistically hope for a room for under 500 euros a month? If I decide to go to UCD, I will not bring any pets with me. Also, is there anything about the UCD curriculum that may be hard to adjust to? What are some unique aspects of the program that you really like? Sorry for asking a million questions but I've never even been to Ireland and I'm trying to make my visit next month as productive as possible. Thanks in advance!

Hi Devyn,

I'm currently choosing between Dublin and Western University near home in California. I plan on visiting UCD during the second week of April and I'm interested in looking at housing options for students starting fall semester. Is there a group of current students looking for flatmates that I can talk to or maybe housing areas near campus that you can suggest? Can I even realistically hope for a room for under 500 euros a month? If I decide to go to UCD, I will not bring any pets with me. Also, is there anything about the UCD curriculum that may be hard to adjust to? What are some unique aspects of the program that you really like? Sorry for asking a million questions but I've never even been to Ireland and I'm trying to make my visit next month as productive as possible. Thanks in advance!

Ah, I am in your same position! Although Davis might be thrown into the mix as well :) And devyn, I second wanting to know if there will be upperclassmen looking for flatmates - I would love this option. Thank you for all of your help!!!

Hi Devyn,

Yay another Californian! :D Renting in Ireland is a bit different than renting in the states in that you don't want to rent a place site onseen and most places go pretty quickly, so you would usually rent a place and move in a week or so later at most. I moved in a few days later to my place. So unless you are renting a room in a flat/house that is already rented by upper year students then you would probably wait until you get here to find a place to live. Sounds crazy, but it does work. And the fact that you are not bringing pets makes it much easier. I brought 2 dogs with me.

There is already a facebook page set up for your class, but no one on it yet as the class is not all together yet. But that will be a great resource for finding people to rent with and there are always some upper year students on the page as well to act as resources (myself included). I can definitely suggest places to live around campus and also send you a pdf document outlining the best places to live and how far they are from the actual vet school. Depending on how many people you want to live with and where you want to live you could find a place for around 500 euro/mth. It would probably be a 3-4 bedroom house.

I think the hardest thing about the UCD curriculum (and I talked about this in my previous post) is the grading system and the essay exams, but that is not really the curriculum per say just that they have a different way of examining their students and it takes some getting used to. I think the otherwise the curriculum is probably fairly similar to schools in the states as far as what is covered and toughness of the courses.

The thing I really like about the program is that we get to work hands-on with animals from the beginning. Most schools (at least in the US) you have to wait until your 3rd year for any hands-on experience. You are on the farm a lot in the first year learning all about large animal handling & medicine. So if you don't like farm animals well then it might not be your thing. :laugh: And then you have EMS which you have to do as well - getting experience in your first year with various animals as well (lambing, calving, horses, small animal) - you can pass out the requirement of something you already have experience in. I am not planning on being a farm animal vet, but still enjoy my time out on the farm. :)

Let me know when you are out visiting and I can always meet up with you on campuse!

Yay another Californian! :D Renting in Ireland is a bit different than renting in the states in that you don't want to rent a place site onseen and most places go pretty quickly, so you would usually rent a place and move in a week or so later at most. I moved in a few days later to my place. So unless you are renting a room in a flat/house that is already rented by upper year students then you would probably wait until you get here to find a place to live. Sounds crazy, but it does work. And the fact that you are not bringing pets makes it much easier. I brought 2 dogs with me.

There is already a facebook page set up for your class, but no one on it yet as the class is not all together yet. But that will be a great resource for finding people to rent with and there are always some upper year students on the page as well to act as resources (myself included). I can definitely suggest places to live around campus and also send you a pdf document outlining the best places to live and how far they are from the actual vet school. Depending on how many people you want to live with and where you want to live you could find a place for around 500 euro/mth. It would probably be a 3-4 bedroom house.

I think the hardest thing about the UCD curriculum (and I talked about this in my previous post) is the grading system and the essay exams, but that is not really the curriculum per say just that they have a different way of examining their students and it takes some getting used to. I think the otherwise the curriculum is probably fairly similar to schools in the states as far as what is covered and toughness of the courses.

The thing I really like about the program is that we get to work hands-on with animals from the beginning. Most schools (at least in the US) you have to wait until your 3rd year for any hands-on experience. You are on the farm a lot in the first year learning all about large animal handling & medicine. So if you don't like farm animals well then it might not be your thing. :laugh: And then you have EMS which you have to do as well - getting experience in your first year with various animals as well (lambing, calving, horses, small animal) - you can pass out the requirement of something you already have experience in. I am not planning on being a farm animal vet, but still enjoy my time out on the farm. :)

Let me know when you are out visiting and I can always meet up with you on campuse!

Thanks for all the info! A difference in the grading system and essay exams aren't gonna do too much to scare me away :cool:. Good to know that 500 euros a month isn't a laughable idea, a 3-4 bedroom house is exactly what I had in mind. Waiting til I get there to find a place to live does sound crazy! Where would I stay in the meantime (hopefully the meantime is only a week or so)? It sounds like the hands on work with animals is fairly extensive and regular even from the beginning. I know Western is structured so you start hands on experience early on but I don't think it becomes a weekly activity until 3rd year, like you said earlier about most state schools.

I definitely would like to have more farm animal experience. I spent 6 months in undergrad with beef cattle and loved it but I'm still not sure if I want to be a farm animal vet. I'm really interested in parasitology and I'm actually meeting with Grace during my visit to discuss working with her a couple days a week on her cattle liver fluke vaccine development project that will be going on over the next four years. I will be arriving in Dublin April 8th in the morning and leaving April 11th in the afternoon. My meeting with Grace will be Tuesday morning, April 10th. Maybe you can show me around a little on Monday the 9th or the afternoon of the 10th?

Hey UCD interested guys, sorry I've been MIA lately!! Looks like you're getting some good answers to your questions tho (Thx Sarah!!) I've a word document with a whole bunched of previous answered questions that might help, as well as one on finding accommodation, and one on moving pets to Ireland. If you want them PM me ur email address ;)

-M.A.

Thanks for all the info! A difference in the grading system and essay exams aren't gonna do too much to scare me away :cool:. Good to know that 500 euros a month isn't a laughable idea, a 3-4 bedroom house is exactly what I had in mind. Waiting til I get there to find a place to live does sound crazy! Where would I stay in the meantime (hopefully the meantime is only a week or so)? It sounds like the hands on work with animals is fairly extensive and regular even from the beginning. I know Western is structured so you start hands on experience early on but I don't think it becomes a weekly activity until 3rd year, like you said earlier about most state schools.

I definitely would like to have more farm animal experience. I spent 6 months in undergrad with beef cattle and loved it but I'm still not sure if I want to be a farm animal vet. I'm really interested in parasitology and I'm actually meeting with Grace during my visit to discuss working with her a couple days a week on her cattle liver fluke vaccine development project that will be going on over the next four years. I will be arriving in Dublin April 8th in the morning and leaving April 11th in the afternoon. My meeting with Grace will be Tuesday morning, April 10th. Maybe you can show me around a little on Monday the 9th or the afternoon of the 10th?

Yeah it is a little daunting thinking about waiting till you get to Ireland to find a place, but there are so many places up for rent that time of year that you will be ok. Plus you definitely would want to get here a few weeks prior to semester start to get settled & get lay of the land. I stayed in a hotel with another vet student when I first got here, but I do know some people crashed at upper year vet students houses, so that could be an option as well - as you are looking for a place. I had 2 dogs, so I could not really crash on someone's couch. It only took me from what I can remember a week & a half to find a place, but, once again, I had 2 dogs. Without the dogs, you could find a place much quicker and most places are available immediately.

Working with the farm animals has been a ton of fun, so far, but I do not plan on being a farm animal vet - still great experience though! Sounds like you have a plan for your visit and it would be great to get in on that research with Grace for the vaccine. You are only coming in for such a short time. :( That Monday is a bank holiday because of the Easter weekend, but I will most likely be around. PM me closer to the date and perhaps I can meet you on campus or in town and show you around - depending on what you want to see. On Tuesday, I am at the farm all day, but will be back around 4 pm, so could always catch up with you then, but will smell like farm animals - just to warn you! :laugh:

I have a bunch of questions I hope people can chime in on. My dad and I were supposed to come out to the UK together but he has gotten too sick to come. This means I have to figure everything out on my own last minute. I've figured out flight stuff, but I have a lot of questions for when I get there. Here goes.

1. Do I need to exchange US dollars for British currency once I get there or will US dollars be accepted? If not, do I just go to a bank to do this?

2. Does anyone have recommendations as to where I can/should stay overnight in London, Glasgow, and Edinburgh? I called RVC and GLasgow; they have on campus accommodations for about 35 pounds a night with breakfast (seems fair...). Would you recommend doing this or just finding something else? I'm pretty low key and would rather money save where I can (B&Bs sound really nice but expensive?). [This is a really concerning aspect for me. Please help!!!]

3. Do you have recommendations for how to travel once in the UK? I am landing in London to check out RVC, then going to Glasgow to check them out, then spending the rest of my time in Edinburgh. I want to travel by train so I can enjoy the trip and see the country a bit. I was looking at First Scot Rail I believe. Would this work or does anyone have alternate preferences?

4. Also, what should I expect to pay for food each day? (3 meals a day, nothing fancy.) I'm trying to budget as close as possible. I don't want to be hungry or homeless!

5. And finally, will any of you still be around? I will leaving for the UK 2 Wednesdays from now. I would love to meet up on campus and explore a bit if anyone is free. :)

I apologize for the large number of questions; I hope you're not overwhelmed!
Anyways, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

I'm not too familiar with anything else about the UK, but if you are traveling alone, hostels are usually the way to go. Right now it is off season, so accommodations should all be fairly cheap. I think you can find the rates at each hostel on hostelworld.com

I've only visited London once, but I know if you are smart about it, you can find decent, cheap food (I haven't found cheap, high quality food, but I wasn't there for that long). In London, you can find a lot of cheap Indian or Pakistan food on Brick Lane... from what I know, it's a fairly well known place.

Oh, and you can exchange currencies at the airport or banks. It shouldn't be too hard if you're changing out US dollars.

I hope you post how the experience goes! I'm also interested in attending schools in the UK, but I'm getting a fair amount of pressure to stay in the states. Any insights would do wonders!

Get 100 pounds here before you leave. Exchange in banks as airports have exchange rates that will really rip you off.

I agree on having at least a couple hundred pounds on you before arriving in the UK. It might take your bank a few days to get it to you, so plan in advance. Airports rip you off soooo much.

I also agree on the hostel bit. My entire year in the UK my friends and I used hostelbookers.com and hostelworld.com to find cheap and pretty decent hostels. I think we were only really disappointed in one and felt the ratings that people gave the hostels were pretty accurate. It also tells you if you need to bring your own sheets and if breakfast is included. If I could remember the name of the bed and breakfast I stayed at in Edinburgh, I would totally recommend that. The breakfast in the morning was amazing. We talk about how much we miss it all the time. Haha.

Train will probably be the cheapest way to travel. I always used Nationalexpress.com when travelling by train and it wasn't too expensive (although I also had a young person's rail card). It will take about 4 hours to get from London. Not sure about from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Easyjet is probably your cheapest airline that will fly out of any of the airports in London. Tthere are several, so if you choose this option, make sure you go to the right airport. Also, certain one's have more flights or only fly to certain places. I usually flew out of Gatwick or Stanstead.

For food, if you stick to pubs and such, I think it's around like 8 pounds a meal. London will be a bit more expensive than the other cities. And if you're really scrounging for money, there are always take away places (mmm cheesy chips), McDonalds, Subway, etc. If there is a Nandos near you at all, I recommend them too. I don't think they were horribly expensive and you can get some peri-peri chicken that I thought was decent for a chain. Also, if you want water, specifically ask for tap water because some places just assume bottled and you'll be charged. You might get some weird looks, but there is no point in paying for water since the water in the UK won't make you sick or anything.

Also, make sure you have adapters and possibly a converter depending on what type of current/voltage all your electronics work on. And if you're bringing hairdryers or anything like that, there is a chance they may break even if you use them with a converter. They just seem to overheat and die.

Last edited:
I agree with what they all said (though the 35 a night + bfast isn't too terrible!). You can also just use whatever cards you have and withdraw money rather than exchanging? Not sure what bank you use at home, but some of them don't charge too awful of a rate. Do NOT use the places at the airport if you do change over money.. Go to the post office (red signs, you can't miss them) or the bank.

Pubs are good for fast and cheap. Wagamamas and Nando's are also fabulous for such things. Gregg's (tiny shop, blue and orange signs) are great for yummy fast sandwich/hot pockets/sausage rolls etc) You can get a whole meal for under 5 quid. Of the 3, Glasgow will probably have the cheapest food/accommodation, as it is slightly smaller and a huge student based city. If you get a place with free bfast, I would say try and budget spending 20 on food for the day? A little more if you want a pint? Another option for lunches and such is just going to the local supermarket and picking up a premade sandwich or something!

Scotrail is probably the easiest, and unlike easyjet, doesn't have luggage restrictions. The flights themselves are cheap, but they charge you an arm and a leg to check things. A train from Glasgow to Edinburgh will take about 40 mins, they run every 15 mins, and one way will probably cost you 5 quid? Train from London to Glasgow/Edinburgh will take about 5/6 hours, and cost around 50-60 quid, but that can vary depending on how far ahead you book it!

What week will you be there? I don't get back until the 12th, but if you e-mail Joyce, she'll send out an e-mail to everyone to see who is around!

I think I'll be in Glasgow the first of April then leave for edinburgh a day or two later. I will email Joyce. :)
I saw a lot of sites mentioning rail cards. I don't understand what these are. Are they passes you buy? Discount of some sort? Thank you for the info. I didn't know I could get money exchanged at my bank! I completely forgot to consider the converter. Can you get them in the US or do you buy them once you get in the UK? I have a discover credit card and a visa debit card. Will those work in the UK? Argh. Every time I get one question answered, I find that I have 3 more! Thanks for being so helpful everyone. :love:

I think I'll be in Glasgow the first of April then leave for edinburgh a day or two later. I will email Joyce. :)
I saw a lot of sites mentioning rail cards. I don't understand what these are. Are they passes you buy? Discount of some sort? Thank you for the info. I didn't know I could get money exchanged at my bank! I completely forgot to consider the converter. Can you get them in the US or do you buy them once you get in the UK? I have a discover credit card and a visa debit card. Will those work in the UK? Argh. Every time I get one question answered, I find that I have 3 more! Thanks for being so helpful everyone. :love:

Oh no I more meant when you get to the UK, go to a bank atm, stick your card in, and pull out some cash :) Just make sure you alert both banks you will be abroad so they don't put a hold on your cards.

Converters you can get pretty much anywhere---airports, best buy, target, radioshack, so on and so forth.

Rail cards are more of a long term student thing. Others can correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can get those unless you hold a UK student card.

You shouldn't have a problem using a visa debit card. If it's with Bank of America, try to use Barclay's while you're over there. It's affiliated with BoA, so you'll avoid ATM charges. Just be aware that there is like a 1-3% international visa fee for every charge you put on your card. I ended up switching banks for my second semester in the UK because I found a bank that would pay my international visa fee, didn't charge me for using other banks ATMs and would pay for my ATM fee if charged by another bank as long as I had x amount in my account. For the first semester I used BoA though. I'm not sure about how broadly accepted Discover is. Most people used Visa. I think people who used other one's like American Express encountered problems in some places. Oh! Another important thing with credit cards when you're over there. You'll have to actually hand it to the cashier and tell them they have to swipe it. The UK uses the "chip and pin" method which works different than ours. For their credit/debit cards they insert it into the machine and leave it in while it's charged (kind of like certain ATMs which suck in your card and spit it back out). The only way your card can be scanned is actually on the register/computer used by the person at the counter.

And I agree that rail cards are more for long term use. You have to fill out an application, supply a picture for the ID and pay a fee for it. And I'm pretty sure that Shortnsweet is correct in that you need a student ID to get the young person's one.

Also, if you have a Discover card, they won't charge you international fees. I haven't used mine (I'm avoiding credit cards like the plague), but they've said it over and over again to me.

@bigkittenteef: there is a hostel right around the corner from the Camden campus of RVC; I can't recall the name of it right now...St something? I can't remember. But a couple of people I know who've come here to visit have gone there and say it's pretty good. It's attached to a pub. As for trains and such, Kings Cross will have most trains you're looking for to go on from London. I've seen Great Eastern (or something of the sort) go to Edinburgh from London...not sure about Glasgow.

Here's a link for national rail to glasgow: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/London/GLC/310312/1500/dep

Let me know if you still want to get together on Saturday the 31st, or even Friday night (I'll be at my small animal EMS until around 6ish).

Yeah it is a little daunting thinking about waiting till you get to Ireland to find a place, but there are so many places up for rent that time of year that you will be ok. Plus you definitely would want to get here a few weeks prior to semester start to get settled & get lay of the land. I stayed in a hotel with another vet student when I first got here, but I do know some people crashed at upper year vet students houses, so that could be an option as well - as you are looking for a place. I had 2 dogs, so I could not really crash on someone's couch. It only took me from what I can remember a week & a half to find a place, but, once again, I had 2 dogs. Without the dogs, you could find a place much quicker and most places are available immediately.

Working with the farm animals has been a ton of fun, so far, but I do not plan on being a farm animal vet - still great experience though! Sounds like you have a plan for your visit and it would be great to get in on that research with Grace for the vaccine. You are only coming in for such a short time. :( That Monday is a bank holiday because of the Easter weekend, but I will most likely be around. PM me closer to the date and perhaps I can meet you on campus or in town and show you around - depending on what you want to see. On Tuesday, I am at the farm all day, but will be back around 4 pm, so could always catch up with you then, but will smell like farm animals - just to warn you! :laugh:

Sounds like a plan, I'll PM you about a week before. Yeah I know it's a super short visit but I'm not making a vacation out of it and I would like to save as much as possible before that first tuition payment sucks all my funds away:eek:. I definitely want to scope out as much of the vet med facilities and potential housing options as I can while I'm there.

Speaking of tuition, do you know if the rates have been increasing dramatically as of late? or if they are going to? Do you have any suggestions for loans with low interest rates?

I realize it's going to cost an arm and a leg to attend vet school no matter which school I attend, but it would be nice if I could find some ways to offset the costs of additional living and travel expenses I would incur while attending UCD. Is it reasonable to receive payment for your EMS hours during summers and semester breaks? If I don't wind up helping Grace with her vaccine research, I would like to find a way to get involved in a work study project for a specific interest within vet med (most likely parasitology or GI diseases). Can a student devote say 10-15 hours per week during semester to something like that and still maintain a social life along with coursework, or is that just way too much to juggle?

One last question, can UCD students use the shuttles and buses to get around Dublin and neighboring cities just by showing their campus ID's or do they still pay a fee? See you in a few weeks and thanks for all your help!

Lei, I definitely want to meet up when you are free! Thanks for the heads up about the hostel. I will look into it!

Also, thank you so much to Mooshagen, shortnsweet, and orca! I can't believe how helpful SDN and its members are! I wish I had found this site a long time ago! <3

Lei, I definitely want to meet up when you are free! Thanks for the heads up about the hostel. I will look into it!

Also, thank you so much to Mooshagen, shortnsweet, and orca! I can't believe how helpful SDN and its members are! I wish I had found this site a long time ago! <3

I know how you feel! I hope you have a freaking blast.

It depends on which program your are in, the 4 year program has an extra module per semester compared to the 5 year program so first year is likely a little more intensive in the 4 year program, but the schedule varies some days we are in at 8, other days 11, some days not at all!! but on average we probably have a 25-30hr lecture week.

As for computers I picked up a HP a little bigger than a netbook in Best buy for less than $400 before coming to Dublin and have had no problems with it. I'm not familiar with macs but I hear the ipad is great.

OMG I bought my ticket! I feel so nervous and excited, all at the same time!!!

I'll be sure to take pictures as promised! I hear Glasgow's campus is one of the most beautiful in the world! Hogwart's status!!!

Hahaha. I've heard that from a friend who did a semester there. If you have any free time, I can give you the name of some places where scenes from Harry Potter was shot and what castle they used for Hogwarts.

OMG I bought my ticket! I feel so nervous and excited, all at the same time!!!

:thumbup:

Woohoo!! Sorry I couldn't be there to meet you, but if you need ANY info at all (taxi numbers, what buses to take, how to get from where you are staying to the main campus and the vet campus)---please let me know!!

bigkittinteef - I'm a first year at Glasgow who will be around all break if you want/need someone to show you around a bit :)

Sounds like a plan, I'll PM you about a week before. Yeah I know it's a super short visit but I'm not making a vacation out of it and I would like to save as much as possible before that first tuition payment sucks all my funds away:eek:. I definitely want to scope out as much of the vet med facilities and potential housing options as I can while I'm there.

Speaking of tuition, do you know if the rates have been increasing dramatically as of late? or if they are going to? Do you have any suggestions for loans with low interest rates?

I realize it's going to cost an arm and a leg to attend vet school no matter which school I attend, but it would be nice if I could find some ways to offset the costs of additional living and travel expenses I would incur while attending UCD. Is it reasonable to receive payment for your EMS hours during summers and semester breaks? If I don't wind up helping Grace with her vaccine research, I would like to find a way to get involved in a work study project for a specific interest within vet med (most likely parasitology or GI diseases). Can a student devote say 10-15 hours per week during semester to something like that and still maintain a social life along with coursework, or is that just way too much to juggle?

One last question, can UCD students use the shuttles and buses to get around Dublin and neighboring cities just by showing their campus ID's or do they still pay a fee? See you in a few weeks and thanks for all your help!

I've been told the tuition at UCD will be fixed - but I'm not 100% on the details of it (see this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=891368 - mas185's post.)

The problem is that tuition is in euros, but your savings/US student loans are probably in dollars....so you won't really know until the funds get converted what the actual cost will be.