Application advice... Liquor Store

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up guys?

Probably a pretty dumb question but I've been second guessing this for a while now, need some of your input on this. I'm a traditional student, applying this cycle, pretty good DAT, and average GPA.

For the past 2-2.5 years I've been working at a liquor store right across my university, started off as a cashier now am a manager. I'm not too sure whether or not I should put this under the work experience portion of the application because its a liquor store lol, not sure how that'd look to the admissions people.

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean it's a job that you've held for quite some time and you worked with the public! I can see why you're hesitant, but be open about what you've done! Do you have anything you deem better to put on your app instead?

Reactions: 1 user
situations like this are why various positions are euphemistically described in training manuals as "customer service assistantships" or "movie directory advisor" (variations on positions I may or may not have held back high school days). I'd use a little creative license, but I don't see anything that needs too much explaining/justification.

Members don't see this ad :)
You weren't doing anything illegal or anything that should be looked down upon! You were in a manager position, that's great... tons of customer service, communication, teamwork/leadership experience. I can understand why you may be a bit hesitant but a manager-level is a great position to be in. Like @g_squared said, you could embellish the title a little bit but nothing to be ashamed about. You could also speak about this experience from an ethics perspective.. ie/ if you've ever had someone underage come in and try to buy, how you handled it, etc. There's tons of talking points here :)

Also, definitely include other experiences too like ECs, volunteer work, etc... stuff that's more community-building focused too for balance.

Don't use any euphemisms. There is nothing wrong with that job and moving up the chain and having leadership responsibility will be a big plus. I'm pretty sure most of the admissions people you meet with will have shopped in a liquor store once or twice in their lives. It's nothing to worry about at all.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure there are plenty of adcoms who like their liquor

Reactions: 2 users
What's up guys?

Probably a pretty dumb question but I've been second guessing this for a while now, need some of your input on this. I'm a traditional student, applying this cycle, pretty good DAT, and average GPA.

For the past 2-2.5 years I've been working at a liquor store right across my university, started off as a cashier now am a manager. I'm not too sure whether or not I should put this under the work experience portion of the application because its a liquor store lol, not sure how that'd look to the admissions people.

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

Cashier to manager....

If you can show that sales went up or savings on costs went down.... Then write about your business skills..... But then again, dentistry is a face to face occupation, and then it is a business.....

I would put it, it is 2-3 years of your life... If you are not proud of what you do/doing/did then don't put it! .. But if you are, put why you are proud, and include some responsibilities you endure during your job, all within 1-2 short sentences

Cashier to manager....

If you can show that sales went up or savings on costs went down.... Then write about your business skills..... But then again, dentistry is a face to face occupation, and then it is a business.....

I would put it, it is 2-3 years of your life... If you are not proud of what you do/doing/did then don't put it! .. But if you are, put why you are proud, and include some responsibilities you endure during your job, all within 1-2 short sentences
Back to the ellipses? I like it teddy bear

"Closed container alcoholic beverage distributor/ salesman"

Last edited: