Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AEFit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster. I have a few questions that hopefully you can shine some light on for me:

I'd like to apply for the upcoming cycle in the beginning of August. Preferably as close to August 1st as possible. Do we have to wait until the first to begin the application or is there a way to start the app now and fire it off when August 1st rolls around?

Secondly, I wont be taking my MCAT until September 8th so schools won't have the results until October. Though I have read on these forums people in my situation still send off their applications prior to receiving their scores, which is what I'd like to do. However I probably won't have my three letters of rec completed until the beginning of September as well. So I'm wondering if I'll actually hurt my chances having such an incomplete application even though its early? When I do have the letters they will be very strong ones: one from my ochem professor, one from my anatomy and physiology professor and one from a DPM whom I have shadowed.

To give you background on my application:

I was a Sociology major
cGPA of 3.647 (very strong upward curve)
sGPA of 3.668
Sociological research
2 years working as a back office medical assistant
30+ hours shadowing various surgeries in the OR
Some volunteer, but not as much as I probably should :/
A lot of sport type ECs such as multiple CrossFit competitions and various runs for diseases etc
6 years working as a personal trainer
Scored 18, 18, 21 on my practice MCATs thus far with 9s on all VR and have been studying for two weeks. Definitely slacking in this area due to other things going on but I know in the next month of studying I should be able to get mid 20's without any problems.

Any advice on the above questions would be greatly appreciated and any imput on my application and chances would be awesome too. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure how much has changed since the time I applied on the AACPM, but I believe there is a downloadable form that you can get and fill it in before August 1st. However, when the application cycle opens up, you will have to enter the information online. The printable form is only for your benefit of filling things in prior to entering it online officially.

You can definitely submit your application without the MCAT and LORs. Those can be submitted and confirm at a later time since the application is the more important thing to get everything rolling. The school needs just the application initially, then supplements and fulfillment materials (i.e. transcript, MCAT scores, LORs, etc.) can be turned in later. Taking the MCAT September 8 is good and early. Most students take it in the Spring semester of next year, but this will give you a leeway in case you need to retake it again. Just make sure you are ready for the test before taking it. Remember practice tests are very easy compared to the real thing. From my experience, they are not indicative of the performance on the real exam. I believe in you in getting a score in the mid 20's or better. Your GPA is excellent, so no worries there. A little about letters of recommendations. Depending on the University that you attended, they may write one single letter from the advisory committee (not individual professors) and send it in to the podiatry school, and you definitely need the DPM letter nowadays.

Thanks LittleMopeHead. That was all extremely helpful.

I believe every school I've looked at says a letter from the pre health advisory comity-OR-two letters from science professors. The two letters work better for me as I was pretty non traditional and literally did all of my pre reqs in my last three semesters and never made contact with the advisory comity once. I have also graduated so I feel trying to meet them and going through the process of getting a letter from them would be difficult. I believe at my school a student must have a certain GPA and MCAT and then they are interviewed by the comity to decide if they will write a letter for you. This all seems like a large hassle especially since I no longer attend there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, first time poster. I have a few questions that hopefully you can shine some light on for me:

I'd like to apply for the upcoming cycle in the beginning of August. Preferably as close to August 1st as possible. Do we have to wait until the first to begin the application or is there a way to start the app now and fire it off when August 1st rolls around?

Secondly, I wont be taking my MCAT until September 8th so schools won't have the results until October. Though I have read on these forums people in my situation still send off their applications prior to receiving their scores, which is what I'd like to do. However I probably won't have my three letters of rec completed until the beginning of September as well. So I'm wondering if I'll actually hurt my chances having such an incomplete application even though its early? When I do have the letters they will be very strong ones: one from my ochem professor, one from my anatomy and physiology professor and one from a DPM whom I have shadowed.

To give you background on my application:

I was a Sociology major
cGPA of 3.647 (very strong upward curve)
sGPA of 3.668
Sociological research
2 years working as a back office medical assistant
30+ hours shadowing various surgeries in the OR
Some volunteer, but not as much as I probably should :/
A lot of sport type ECs such as multiple CrossFit competitions and various runs for diseases etc
6 years working as a personal trainer
Scored 18, 18, 21 on my practice MCATs thus far with 9s on all VR and have been studying for two weeks. Definitely slacking in this area due to other things going on but I know in the next month of studying I should be able to get mid 20's without any problems.

Any advice on the above questions would be greatly appreciated and any imput on my application and chances would be awesome too. Thanks guys.
whoa, the disparity between you mcat score and gpa is pretty absurd, LOL

Your timeline is good and early, the initial application is the longest burden everything else is supplemental and can fill in after. Regardless having everything in by October is still pretty good. You will probably hear from some schools once your primary is sent in however they will be waiting on your LORs and MCAT, just breathe and focus on that MCAT score because an 18 is pretty low in my opinion and from your GPA it seems like you should be more capable then that. Good luck

whoa, the disparity between you mcat score and gpa is pretty absurd, LOL
I knew someone like you would have to chime in on that. How is your VR score because you missed details in my post; I've been studying for just under two weeks. Unfortunately we can't all memorize every formula and detail of the sciences years after we took the initial courses. I wish I had your talent.

Anyway, average MCATs seems to be around 22 for most schools... Now we both know I haven't been studying much but if I remember correctly that should mean that people score below that number and above. I am below on my first few diagnostics but not by much. Personally I don't think I'll have a problem raising it 3-4 points with a little review.

"There's some fight in you, I like that"

"There's some fight in you, I like that"
Hahaha thanks, and thanks for the initial input I really appreciate it!

I get sick of people on forums like this who feel the need to try to belittle others. Too much of that happens in the pre med world. The way I look at it is we're all in it together, why not help each other as much as possible to get through this process.. Or we can just state obvious facts such as there's a dispairity between my GPA and MCAT as if I wasn't aware

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha thanks, and thanks for the initial input I really appreciate it!

I get sick of people on forums like this who feel the need to try to belittle others. Too much of that happens in the pre med world. The way I look at it is we're all in it together, why not help each other as much as possible to get through this process.. Or we can just state obvious facts such as there's a dispairity between my GPA and MCAT as if I wasn't aware

haha I just figured Id lighten the mood and everyones' hump day with a quote from the one and only " Joker" himself. Well indeed there is too much of that not only in the pre med scope of things but in the world as a whole, intellectual help is a dying nature.. but hey like some famous old guy once said " you can't win em all, and if you can.. well then your not playing hard enough competition" ;) Good luck to ya.