Application cycle over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workethic712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been reading in a few panic-related threads (i guess this is one of them) lately that the cycle is pretty much over if you haven't received any interview invites thus far. Just wondering if this was true/the opinion most people believe? Also, if one were to receive an interview this late in the game, would they have a legitimate chance at being accepted or would the interview be for a spot on the waitlist (do schools actually do this?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really have no idea, but two of my friends a year ahead of me have interviews coming up. They still seem hopeful. I have another friend with acceptances that was accepted off a waitlist about two weeks ago, as well. And another that was excepted in mid-October. Hope that's worth something.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, don't throw in the towel so early. I know it's hard to be positive sometimes, but you never know when an II is coming. I never see/saw them coming.

But it's never too early to keep doing what you're doing and improving as an applicant/person/etc. I think that's one of my biggest takeaways after last year's cycle. I definitely added stuff between cycles, but it can be hard in such a short turnaround between cycles. The earlier you think about next cycle (even preemptively), it will help you. Best advice I can give after being waitlisted at several schools last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies guys. I should clarify that I also applied DO this year and have received an acceptance. I just wanted to see if it was realistic to still hope for MD IIs since I'd like to one day match into an MD residency in one of the more competitive fields. Been busy improving as an applicant throughout this year though like @GameTheory29 suggested and sending updates to all schools that take them....fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on the school. Some schools are pretty much about done interviewing and are ready to give out their last few acceptances. Other schools interview all the way until April, and at those schools, you still stand a chance.

Been reading in a few panic-related threads (i guess this is one of them) lately that the cycle is pretty much over if you haven't received any interview invites thus far. Just wondering if this was true/the opinion most people believe? Also, if one were to receive an interview this late in the game, would they have a legitimate chance at being accepted or would the interview be for a spot on the waitlist (do schools actually do this?)

Thanks!

This day 2 years ago I was interviewing at the current school I am attending (outright acceptance, no waitlist). At the time I had no acceptances. It's extremely school dependent, but in general, the cycle is not over yet.