Application Dilemma: Apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbz9z

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i need some advice...

I decided late into my third year as an undergraduate to apply to medical school so I didnt have time to study and take the MCATs in April, May, and June like most of the people i know applying this year. I actually just took the MCAT yesterday.

So here is my dilemma: I have already submitted my primary application and have about 12 secondaries that i need to fill out. I was pretty confident going into the MCAT (my average practice test score was a 35) but at the actual test the verbal reasoning section went horribly. I got very flustered as I was reading and didnt even have time to read the last passage. So now I dont know if i should start submitting my secondaries without knowing what I got or if i should wait and then take the MCAT again in September. I know im already at a disadvantage by applying so late, but i dont want to blow a few thousand dollars by applying now if i got a 7 on verbal. What is the minimum score i need to get to still be competitive this late in the game? If i need to, should i retake them late in September or should i wait and retake them in January and then just re-apply next year? I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everyone thinks they did badly about their verbal. Who knows, perhaps you actually did better than you thought. I know a girl who didn't finish one and a half passage and she got like a 9.

If you are that worried about it, I would suggest that you apply to schools that have lower MCAT stats on the MSAR?

Good luck!