Application for Pain LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whose LOR should I send in addition to program director?

• Chair of Pain and pain fellowship director (uknown quality of letter, ive heard he writes strong)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Pain attending (I did research with, very likely to be strong and well written)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chair of Neuromuscular (going to be strong)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Neurology Department chair (didn't work with him too much, more likely going to be generic)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nonphysiologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a neurology resident applying for pain fellowship. I have secured a letter of recommendation from:
1. Program Director
2. Chair of Neuromuscular Division
3. Chair of Neurology
4. Chair/Program director of Pain and Pain Fellowship- Anesthesia based
5. Anesthesia based Pain attending I did a lot of research with and will write a strong letter.

Most programs ask to send three, one of which must be the program director.

I am debating which other two I should send. Option number 2 (Neuromuscular chair) and 5 (pain attending) are definitely going to be strong. I think the Chair/PD of the pain fellowship will be strong too but its not certain. I am really tempte dto send that one though because he is chairman of pd of fellowship but is not necessarily a big name or anything.

Please let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying ACGME pain you better use all the anesthesia letters you can get. Then take the other strongest letters.