Application Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

InspireToDream

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, technically, yes you have prior service in the Army Guard, but it's going to be tough to accurately report it on most applications because they might not have 'cadet' on one of the pull down menus where you select your prior rank.

I don't know that I would claim that I was in essence the XO unless you have a great letter from the CO saying such as in all honesty you still wore ROTC rank at the unit and run the risk of making someone spill their coffee when reading your application. Feel free to discuss the leadership activities.

Overall I would just word it very carefully to make it plainly obvious you are claiming military service for full disclosure and not trying to sneak in this ROTC/SMP failure as a "I served in the military so give me credit" type deal.

I'd also change that answer if they were only asking about prior Active duty service only to a No.

Members don't see this ad :)
After all those years in college, one would think you would know the definition of the word legitimate. A certain scene from The Princess Bride comes to mind. Anyhoo, you'd be better off putting nothing about it. You haven't served unless you received a DD214.

So, "no" is a legitimate answer.

After all those years in college, one would think you would know the definition of the word legitimate. A certain scene from The Princess Bride comes to mind. Anyhoo, you'd be better off putting nothing about it. You haven't served unless you received a DD214.

So, "no" is a legitimate answer.

Well that's not quite true. Reservists don't get DD214's unless they've been mobilized.

Although I agree with the sentiment if he applies for anything military related and doesn't put it down someone will think he's trying to hide something when it comes out. If he was given a discharge he will also be required to disclose that as they type of discharge can have effect on whether he's even allowed to apply.

Yes, he didn't serve in the typical sense, but people who are separated from Service Academies prior to graduation are given DD214's and if I remember correctly do get veteran status in the Govt job hunt, etc. This isn't much different due to the SMP portion.

I think the more important question is do you think you deserve to put down prior service on the application? If I remember correctly during your smp time you are non-deployable. Prior service would at least come with the implication that there is a non-zero possibility that you could be called to deploy. While some prior service members didn't fight in the war, they at least encountered the possibility of being voluntold to do so. If my understanding of the smp program is correct, you didn't have that threat. While you may meet the letter of the law, I would say you are far from the spirit of the question "are you prior service?" You're more in the gs contractor position. But it's totally up to you if you what you select.