Application - Internship for radonc/radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I know that this is something my career counsellor should know, but here I am: I'm planning to apply to radonc/radiology based on discussion with associate residency director (basically told me I have competitive CV for radonc but to be safe apply to radiology or something else as well, maybe he was just polite who knows). Well, this is the part I don't get - the programs I'm interested do not offer the PGY1, only PGY2, so I thought I apply to IM/surgery prelim (I'd rather do FM for the 1 year as that seems more relevant to general oncology patients) this year, and while in the PGY1 I apply to the rads... but then from what I understood, I apply to both this year, and will start the rad residency if I get in TWO years down the line...
So how does this really work? Do I need two tokens to apply, or do I apply once in my internship... so sorry for a naive question, but I'm totally confused by the system.

Members don't see this ad.

You apply once. You apply for your radonc/rad programs PGY2 and beyond, as well as for PGY1 prelim/TY programs. Those PGY2 programs will be offering spots this year for a 2016 start. The only reason you'd apply DURING a prelim/TY year is if you fail to match your PGY2 spot this year.