Application into 4th year Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is unique to my school but, for my undergraduate program we had to apply to see who gets into 4th year. So basically, around 140 people in the program freshman year slowly dwindled to 25 by the time I was a senior. Is this a common practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Arb said:
I'm not sure if this is unique to my school but, for my undergraduate program we had to apply to see who gets into 4th year. So basically, around 140 people in the program freshman year slowly dwindled to 25 by the time I was a senior. Is this a common practice?

i have never, ever heard of that before.

I could understand applying in order to transfer into another major. But what's the purpose of having to apply to get into fourth year? Does this mean you can study your butt off, take all these hard courses, and then be told you can't finish up and take the fourth year classes?

what school do youuuu go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course. That's exactly what happens. We have to do two honours thesises in my 4th year so there's also only a certain amount of labs available. This is in biochemistry by the way. Two of my friends (I'm living with one now) didn't get into 4th year and so he's taking an extra year finishing a Biomedical degree (computers and biochem). Another went into psycology and he has to take 1 or 2 extra years of school.

I thought this was the norm. It is a very good program though and I'm proud to say I graduated.

Arb said:
Of course. That's exactly what happens. We have to do two honours thesises in my 4th year so there's also only a certain amount of labs available. This is in biochemistry by the way. Two of my friends (I'm living with one now) didn't get into 4th year and so he's taking an extra year finishing a Biomedical degree (computers and biochem). Another went into psycology and he has to take 1 or 2 extra years of school.

I thought this was the norm. It is a very good program though and I'm proud to say I graduated.

Sounds tough Arb. you should definitely be proud :)

Haha thanks. Not sure I should be too proud. My GPA is still horrible lol. I guess this can give me something to talk about when they question it.