Application question: previous MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatalerror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to know if schools can see the fact I will be writing an MCAT in the future, even if I already have a present MCAT score.

I already took the MCAT, and got a 30, I will be retaking it because I think I can do better. The thing is, I'll fill out and submit my application earlier than when I'll write the second MCAT . I know they can't accept me before the second score, but at least this way, all they are waiting for is an MCAT score, and not the rest of the application. But obviously it's important for the schools to know that I'm taking it again, if they don't, it's a problematic situation.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to mark it on the application. So yes, they will be able to know.

There is a space for you to fill out if you're taking a MCAT at a future date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking the MCAT with a 30 is generally a bad idea. Why do you think you'll do better?

Same reason you think you'd make a good doctor.

Nice response. Seriously, a 30 is a good score. Definitely good enough to get in. Taking it over risks lowering your score.

Nice response. Seriously, a 30 is a good score. Definitely good enough to get in. Taking it over risks lowering your score.

eh, he probably has a better idea of his own abilities than you. i retook a 35 and didn't even think twice about it.

eh, he probably has a better idea of his own abilities than you. i retook a 35 and didn't even think twice about it.

Did you do better? I'm sure he does know his own abilities. The decision to retake with a score that is competitive should be made very carefully though. If he is sure he will score better, than why did he get a 30 the first time. Poor prep? Illness on exam day? Computer malfunction? I'm not saying never do it, but think long and hard about it. With a 25 it's a no brainer. With a 30 it's a tough call.

You will click the "retaking" button. My school will put the application aside & not bother with it at all until that retest comes back (except perhaps to ask for the secondary so that the application is complete when the scores arrive).

30 is a great score, but if you think you can do better (and by better i mean at least 3 pt improvement, not just 1 or 2) go for it... i retook with a 31 and got a 36

You will click the "retaking" button. My school will put the application aside & not bother with it at all until that retest comes back (except perhaps to ask for the secondary so that the application is complete when the scores arrive).

That's what I thought, I just hope that once the MCAT score arrives everything would move much faster than if the school had to wait for my whole application to arrive. Am I correct on this?

To the person asking why I'm retaking it, I didn't really prepare that well the first time for it, the plan was to void it at the end, but spur of the moment decision changes that. I might do worse, who knows, but at least I'll try to give it a better shot.

With the electronic submissions, everything moves quickly. This is all a matter of data dumps and once everything is submitted it is ready to go... I'm not sure that there is much difference which is submitted first.

With the electronic submissions, everything moves quickly. This is all a matter of data dumps and once everything is submitted it is ready to go... I'm not sure that there is much difference which is submitted first.

I see. But I planned on having the secondaries done and mailed by the time my second MCAT score is out. As I understand it (might be wrong on this), they are sent out by regular mail, which the main reason I wanted to send out my main (electronic) application early, to get the secondaries, and finish them quickly.

I see. But I planned on having the secondaries done and mailed by the time my second MCAT score is out. As I understand it (might be wrong on this), they are sent out by regular mail, which the main reason I wanted to send out my main (electronic) application early, to get the secondaries, and finish them quickly.

Most secondaries now are electronic as well. there are a few schools where you still have to mail in your secondary but you'd still receive it online. Either way, you won't be invited to interview without your new MCAT scores. It is in your best interest to turn in all the paperwork as soon as possible so all they wait for is your MCAt and then can review you right away.