Application timeline, summer classes, ready to pull my hair out, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradigms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I was beginning to type a very long post, but I can't even think right now, so I will just ask two quick questions.

Do osteopathic schools let you list classes that are in the process of being completed/haven't been completed yet?

Is it unwise to take 4 prereqs in the summer? organic I, II, physics I, II.
Given, I have taken ochem I and physics I, and I feel that I know the subjects quite well, I received C's in them and wish to retake them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

I was beginning to type a very long post, but I can't even think right now, so I will just ask two quick questions.

Do osteopathic schools let you list classes that are in the process of being completed/haven't been completed yet?

Given, I have taken ochem I and physics I, and I feel that I know the subjects quite well, I received C's in them and wish to retake them.

Do what you are comfortable with. But I can assure you that I would never take those 4 in one summer.

Hey everyone.

I think it depends on how your school does their summer classes. I know my school did summer classes in 4 weeks, and I took Ochem 2 and nearly died. I was in class 9-12 every day then 1-4 for lab 3 days a week and that was just 1 class. We had a test every Friday. It was literally impossible....if it is like that there is no way I would ever take more than 1 class (even the 1 was kind've ridiculous). If it is the whole summer, just like a normal semester, I don't see it being AS big of a problem, but it is still going to suck most of your time away from you. Just realized you are trying to take 4 science classes, not 2....DEFINITELY a bad idea...do your retakes over the summer and the other 2 next fall. Your first priority should be getting as good a grade as possible...not trying to get them all done at lightning speed. Especially the retakes...if you bomb a retake it definitely does not look good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your first priority should be getting as good a grade as possible...not trying to get them all done at lightning speed. Especially the retakes...if you bomb a retake it definitely does not look good.

Well said. :thumbup:

Well said. :thumbup:
+1. OP, your proposed schedule for the summer is incredibly difficult and will quite possibly kill you on the retakes. Your retakes need to absolutely show a positive correlation in improvement not a digression, which this may set you up for. It is not that I don't think you can do this, I am more concerned for your completion of these courses and showing improvement on your application. As a non-trad speaking, there is plenty of time to slow down, do well on courses, and not rush things at lightning speed.

Hey everyone.

I am worried about my timeline for application if these are not completed, but have the option of taking different (and prbly grade boosting) classes in the summer relevant to my major to philosophy (I have finally decided to switch from undergrad science, and honestly I am a bit sad about it), and while its going into my senior year I can actually pull it off and graduate on time (and graduate with a much better gpa than lately). I have seen a drastic increase when I got away from the science overload i have done to myself. But then I am left with what would be almost all of the prereqs that I would ideally like to try to get better grades in within a year post bacc, and then apply the May after graduation.

I am just very confused, and am also dealing with transferring back to my home university after a year of school at home bc of illness, so there is quite a bit going on. Just a pretty confusing time is all. This may sound confusing but if anyone can decipher what I am saying and try to help me it would be appreciated.

I am just worried about my gpa in the science, because there will be quite a bit of credit cramming this next year, and I would rather not have that, because I have seen what it has done to my gpa. I really like my 3.5-3.7 in the non-science major. if I need to take an additional year, then so be it. This timing of my application against my decision of major, my upcoming medical mission trip, and anticipating at least a year to improve my science gpa significantly is just extremely confusing.

Thank you. These were my original words. I agree that I would rather take my time and ace these classes, and i mean to some extent I feel that I can, but four of them? I mean part of this stems from my still wanting to graduate in biology (more of a chip on my shoulder from high school than anything) but honestly clinical medicine is where I'd like to be, and with this noted my continuing improvement in gpa is something that i wish to continue, and I'd feel much more comfortable taking spanish I,II, and a logic course, all spread evenly over 12 weeks, than the sciences.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

That's nuts. I doubt your school would even let you take that many over the summer. Usually the schedules conflict. As much as it sucks waiting longer before you get into medical school, there is a limit to how much you can rush without failing spectacularly

That's nuts. I doubt your school would even let you take that many over the summer. Usually the schedules conflict. As much as it sucks waiting longer before you get into medical school, there is a limit to how much you can rush without failing spectacularly

Well the difference is I don't have labs for the ochem. I may just take organic over the summer, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I can major in philosophy and enjoy a nice gpa, or work my ass off and finish the prereqs along with a degree in bio.

** I wish that I could make my bioassay system that I have had in mind for a while now, and so there are reasons why I would like to finish out in bio.. but medicine is my goal and so if I need to take it easy for the rest of undergrad and take another 2 years before I matriculate, so be it.

I took 26 credit hours over the summer, it was brutal. I did it so I could finish on time. I did both physics classes and orgo 2 and some others. Longest summer of my life. I went to class from 8:30 am till 8 PM, lol. I dont envy you..

I took 26 credit hours over the summer, it was brutal. I did it so I could finish on time. I did both physics classes and orgo 2 and some others. Longest summer of my life. I went to class from 8:30 am till 8 PM, lol. I dont envy you..

Yeah I'd like to finish on time as well. And I mean with my bio major I can finish the prereqs, and I do know ochem pretty well honestly, I don't know what the hell happened.. I transferred school and got completely. utterly. dicked. on classes. I should have heeded the advice of everyone who told me that their science program was extremely cold to students..

but yeah so I mean its either take ochem, physics in the summer (3 week classes, apparently not too hard, not my words, just putting it out there), ochem only, lecture only. Or, take the easier classes that I am also confident that I will do well in, graduate in philosophy (which I also love), and take my post bacc. But I'm not going to lie, it would be nice not having to take the extra year.. And i mention this because i am wondering if it is indeed possible to put anticipated grades down on an application, provided that transcripts are sent in within a given time frame. I just wish I wasn't so confused :(, I'm calling a particular osteopathic school tomorrow to ask.

Yeah I'd like to finish on time as well. And I mean with my bio major I can finish the prereqs, and I do know ochem pretty well honestly, I don't know what the hell happened.. I transferred school and got completely. utterly. dicked. on classes. I should have heeded the advice of everyone who told me that their science program was extremely cold to students..

but yeah so I mean its either take ochem, physics in the summer (3 week classes, apparently not too hard, not my words, just putting it out there), ochem only, lecture only. Or, take the easier classes that I am also confident that I will do well in, graduate in philosophy (which I also love), and take my post bacc. But I'm not going to lie, it would be nice not having to take the extra year.. And i mention this because i am wondering if it is indeed possible to put anticipated grades down on an application, provided that transcripts are sent in within a given time frame. I just wish I wasn't so confused :(, I'm calling a particular osteopathic school tomorrow to ask.

Honestly... while that courseload looks intimidating... I think it's doable while still doing very well in all of them. You just have to ensure you focus hard and not let anything distract you. If you're planning on doing anything else this summer aside from these classes, I'd rethink taking all of them. If your summer is empty... I'd probably do it and go in with the mentality that I have to beast them.

Honestly... while that courseload looks intimidating... I think it's doable while still doing very well in all of them. You just have to ensure you focus hard and not let anything distract you. If you're planning on doing anything else this summer aside from these classes, I'd rethink taking all of them. If your summer is empty... I'd probably do it and go in with the mentality that I have to beast them.

Yeah, like i think that its somewhat doable, and it would be great to do them at the university that I'm transferring back to, but if im not matriculated there I can't get it put on my tuition, and there is a limit on what financial aid I am able to acquire for the summer. If were to take them at this particular university, ochem I and physics I don't overlap, so its like taking one class per summer session, for the entirety of the summer. This is going to take some serious thinking on my part..

I assume orgo 1/physics 1 is the first session and orgo 2/physics 2 second session?

I assume orgo 1/physics 1 is the first session and orgo 2/physics 2 second session?

Yes, and unfortunately i am facing a bit of a predicament now, because I plan on matriculating back into my home university (left bc of illness, overall unhappiness with the school, etc, besides the point though) and they actually "stagger" the classes, so you are essentially taking one class per session, instead of two. BUT, I am going to quite possibly run into financial aid issues, and especially so if I take them at my original university (expensive). I haveto figure this out within the next couple of days, as they also start early. Ugh. But yeah, like I think that I may just stick to my intentions of finishing out in liberal arts, and taking those classes in the summer. Heck, I could see myself completing all of the prereqs in a one year post bacc and then applying, granting that I take my MCAT in August of next year.

This being said, I am stick considering at least organic during the summer, or even taking the liberal arts classes as electives and taking the sciences during the year (crazy though), and still finishing in the sciences. I do really like science :(, its just been mad hard between illness and switching schools and etc.

I've taken both Physics 1 and OChem 2, both with labs over the course of a summer. The classes didn't overlap, but I only had one weekend between my ochem ending and my Fall semester of genetics, biochemistry, and physics 2 beginning...so it was rough. I also worked part-time and trained for a marathon. I got A's in all classes. So really, anything is possible if you stay absolutely focused and work your butt off. :)