Applications Asking About My Other Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grenth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In several of my applications there is a question about what other schools and programs I am applying to. I can see why a school would want this information, but I'm concerned about whether I should put all the schools I'm applying to or not. I'm applying to 10 schools all of which are a good research fit for me, and all with high APA internship matches which is my main criteria. However, I have 8 apps going to PhD counseling or clinical programs that are fully funded and 2 "safety" apps going to partially funded, university based PsyD programs and I'm wondering how it would look to list the PsyD apps on the PhD apps and vice versa. Any advice or experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I always recommend honesty. Besides I would think that most would probably think you are smart to apply to a range of programs. I doubt that it would be much of a thought for admissions as much as the standard creds gre, GPA, research experience, and fit. If they are the type of people that would toss your app because you are keeping options open, then you might not want to spend the next few years with them anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the prompt reply.That's a good point about schools looking at it as a smart move. I was thinking of it as the PsyD apps are due later I won't have actually applied when I submit my PhD apps, but I'll include them anyway to be completely forthright.
I'm wondering if schools even pay attention to this information, or if it's more for data collection. One asks if I've had offers from any other schools this year, which seems bizarre because I'd be surprised to hear of anyone getting an offer before 12/1 when that app is due.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of it as the PsyD apps are due later I won't have actually applied when I submit my PhD apps, but I'll include them anyway to be completely forthright.

I disagree. It's not an appropriate question. If they think they can ask questions like that, I don't see you as being under any obligation to be "completely forthright"; I would present the info that makes you look best and most focused (e.g., list only the institutions where there is an obvious research match parallel).

Keep in mind a lot of application materials/requirements are set by higher admin. Whether or not the department actually even looks at that question, let alone cares what the answers are, is probably up for debate. I imagine a lot is just aggregated university-wide to identify who their competition is.

That said, I think its a judgment call what direction you want to go. It could be a red flag to see someone applying to many such schools, but if the bulk are traditional universities its probably fine. I think it would be more likely to raise concerns if you applied to say - 5 schools in one city, 4 of which were crappy diploma mills and one was the legit university located in the region. That said, leaving something off and getting "caught" could look bad too. I think the likelihood of the latter happening (and them caring) is pretty low.

To me, this walks a line of "appropriateness." I don't find it entirely appropriate or inappropriate, so would encourage you to just do whatever feels right. I can't remember what I did for these questions - think I gave the full list, but honestly can't remember.

I disagree. It's not an appropriate question. If they think they can ask questions like that, I don't see you as being under any obligation to be "completely forthright"; I would present the info that makes you look best and most focused (e.g., list only the institutions where there is an obvious research match parallel).

Agree with this. It seems inappropriate to ask you this, and you're by no means required to tell them. How in any way does this help them learn more about you or evaluate you on paper? I just can't see much benefit from this information for the program.

This goes especially for the program that asked you if you've had any offers. I'm definitely skeptical of the benefits that has for the program or the applicant.

Disclose strategically. The way I approached this question was I didn't list all the programs I was applying to (14), but just those that were the most similar in the type of research they did. The 14 schools I was applying to had a range of variations of my actual research interest, but you want the program to see that you have a very specific thought out research interest and type of program in mind. For example, don't tell super research oriented program that you are applying to a PSYD, and if they do research on children's anxiety, don't tell them about another program you are applying to that does research in geriatric anxiety. So make clusters of comparable programs and inform them of each other if they ask :)

Reactions: 1 users
At my doctoral program when applicants were interviewing we were not allowed to ask them where else they were interviewing.

At my doctoral program when applicants were interviewing we were not allowed to ask them where else they were interviewing.
I noticed that some schools ask and others don't. As an applicant, I had more respect for those schools that didn't ask :) But many definitely do.

Asking the question leads down troubling roads, e.g., "they applied in their home state... maybe they'll just take that so why bother with the offer?" blah blah blah. @GoPokes is right that the info gleaned from it is not meaningful. Just present the info that makes you look good, OP, as we do in every aspect of every job application everywhere.

Thanks for the different perspectives. When I first posted I was planning on "strategic omission" but after the first reply I was having some dissonance about doing something that could be viewed as me trying to be dishonest. I'm starting to feel like grad school admission is just a metric of being able to fill out paperwork the best, which is probably useful as I know it's a big part of the actual work of psychologists. :)

There is also an element of unpredictability as well. Who really knows how they will interpret the info? Thats why I tend to be more forthcoming and let the chips fall where they may. Doesn't mean I volunteer negative info if I can avoid it though.

I've never heard of it on the application before but I do see it asked during interviews. It can help to see if an applicant is applying to consistent kinds of programs or has a huge variety. You ahould be able to tell every program what makes them a good fit for you convincingly. If done thoughtfully, answering this question can be a good thing.

I've been leaving this blank on my applications. It's an optional question and for all they know I didn't see it or forgot to complete it.

I'm starting to feel like grad school admission is just a metric of being able to fill out paperwork the best, which is probably useful as I know it's a big part of the actual work of psychologists. :)

This is what applying for every job everywhere is like for everyone throughout all of time...

I've never heard of it on the application before but I do see it asked during interviews. It can help to see if an applicant is applying to consistent kinds of programs or has a huge variety. You ahould be able to tell every program what makes them a good fit for you convincingly. If done thoughtfully, answering this question can be a good thing.
I don't find any questions that can have an easily-lied response to be useful in selection.