Applications... to review or not to review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gemgrrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who has done file reviews for the 2014 cycle? Did anyone who was accepted do a review with another school that rejected them? Pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Never did a file review but had a lot of rejections ;) (I would recommend it to people who were not accepted at all.) I think the idea is that if you were not accepted elsewhere, and the cycle was over, they'd do a review. I don't understand why you'd do a review if you had an acceptance somewhere else...

I'm not sure either, other than morbid curiosity. I read a post that someone had done it, and at the end of the review they mentioned that they'd been accepted somewhere else. I don't know what the point of that would be... if I was the admissions staff I would feel like my time had been wasted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure either, other than morbid curiosity. I read a post that someone had done it, and at the end of the review they mentioned that they'd been accepted somewhere else. I don't know what the point of that would be... if I was the admissions staff I would feel like my time had been wasted.

Exactly.

Reactions: 1 user

I totally did it and then was accepted following my file review. I only did it because I was waitlisted the prior application cycle and was just curious as to what went wrong because I had worked on the aspects I was told to approve. I honestly see no harm in it. If it came down to how I presented myself in an interview, I would want to know so I correct what I did for things like job interviews, not just for vet school.

I think I also did one for Tufts because I'd been waitlisted there before. I might have only been in at Glasgow at that point and no where else and wasn't 100% sure I was going (ended up deferring), which is why I did them as well.

Schools I wasn't wait listed at previously or didn't apply to before, I didn't bother contacting after my acceptances.

I could see doing if even if you're accepted so you can see what they perceived as your weakness. Maybe it's something you could work on.

That being said, am I going to do it? No way, too much work.

If my IS did file reviews that were more helpful, I'd consider it. They just email you a sheet that compares your academic stats to the total pool and then the accepted class. I wouldn't be able to arrange a face-to-face meeting. I also just kind of want to put it behind me. That doesn't mean I'm not curious, though. If a school is going to give me good interview/essay/experience feedback, I'd definitely do it! That kind of info can help you outside of applying/reapplying.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a file review at two or three places after I'd sent in a deposit somewhere. It was mainly because I hadn't been accepted to my IS, and was potentially considering transferring at the time either to there, or to two other OOS schools that had slightly better tuition. I did tell my reviewers that I had been accepted elsewhere but was considering a transfer application, and wanted to know what my main weaknesses were. It was helpful (I was surprised by one or two comments), so I'm glad I did them.

University of Georgia does file reviews in person or over the phone if you prefer. They go through what your reviewers felt you could improve upon and what you were doing right. They are REALLY helpful and friendly. I suggest them to anyone who did not get in!