Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've finally decided to post on this. I got accepted to UMich (quarter-tuition scholarship) and Columbia (no notification yet on financial aid) both for MPH in epidemiology. I'm still waiting on Yale and John Hopkins and BU. It seems like most people has heard back from these schools. Am I the only one who hasn't? It's like March already!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm, i wonder if anyone has gotten a merit scholarship for Yale yet?

I received a merit scholarship last month, it came a few weeks after my acceptance. I think the dates are somewhere earlier in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've finally decided to post on this. I got accepted to UMich (quarter-tuition scholarship) and Columbia (no notification yet on financial aid) both for MPH in epidemiology. I'm still waiting on Yale and John Hopkins and BU. It seems like most people has heard back from these schools. Am I the only one who hasn't? It's like March already!

I just contacted JH today and they said I should expect to hear in 5-7 weeks :( My application was submitted 12/28, but not confirmed complete unitl 1/19 and forwarded to the admissions committee until 2/7

Hello everyone! I'm discovering this forum a bit late, but it's exciting to hear from people who are also in the midst of this process.

So far I've been accepted to University of Michigan (HBHE) and GW (Health Promotion) and I'm still waiting to hear from UIC (Community Health Sciences). For those that have heard from UIC, how long did it take for them to review your application? My application was submitted to SOPHAs in mid December but wasn't received by UIC until the end of January.

It sounds like a lot of people have gotten full or partial scholarships from UMich...did that come with your admission later or later on?

Also, I spoke with someone at GW this week and their merit-based scholarships notifications are going out this or next week. Good luck to everyone that applied!

I just contacted JH today and they said I should expect to hear in 5-7 weeks :(

Ugh, that's brutal. I emailed them and they said I'm currently at ten weeks since my application got forwarded for review, with no updates at all. Gradcafe had people getting acceptances in years past all the way up to April :thumbdown:.

Ugh, that's brutal. I emailed them and they said I'm currently at ten weeks since my application got forwarded for review, with no updates at all. Gradcafe had people getting acceptances in years past all the way up to April :thumbdown:.

10 weeks? Geez! More specifically, she said they should come to a decision 8-10 weeks from the day it was forwarded for review. What the heck takes so long?!? Did you apply for MPH, MSPH, or MHS?

JH is one of my top two, so having to wait that long is torture!

10 weeks? Geez! More specifically, she said they should come to a decision 8-10 weeks from the day it was forwarded for review. What the heck takes so long?!? Did you apply for MPH, MSPH, or MHS?

JH is one of my top two, so having to wait that long is torture!

Haha, no idea. I tried calling them a month back and wheedling for answers but they were tight-lipped about updates. I applied for MHS, it's in my top choices as well and it's maddening not to know! I'll wait to the 11 week mark and then call again.

I have the same question as KatyaSel. I got accepted to U of Michigan but I have not heard anything about a scholarship. When were you all notified of that? In the email or admission package via mail? Same question goes for those accepted to UIC and GWU.
On another note for whoever asked about UIC, my SOPHAS app was sent out on 1/25 and I was accepted into UIC on 2/24. I first saw that I was admitted via their website and received an email at 1am today. Hope that helps!

Today is finally the day for UCLA letters.

Hey CJ, I called the UCLA SPH admissions office yesterday and they said there may be a chance that they won't hear back from the departments (specifically Epi) until possibly Friday.

Hey CJ, I called the UCLA SPH admissions office yesterday and they said there may be a chance that they won't hear back from the departments (specifically Epi) until possibly Friday.
Ugh well I applied to CHS so hopefully they have their ish together... Oh well

On another note for whoever asked about UIC, my SOPHAS app was sent out on 1/25 and I was accepted into UIC on 2/24. I first saw that I was admitted via their website and received an email at 1am today. Hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing RumbaToMD. Congratulations on getting in to UIC (and elsewhere)! What division did you apply to? Did they say anything about when admitted students day is?

I received a merit scholarship last month, it came a few weeks after my acceptance. I think the dates are somewhere earlier in this thread.

Cool, thanks for your reply. Hoping they consider me for a scholqrship cus I really like Yale. I applied to their CDE program, and there are so many professors who match my research interests!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application for UIC was submitted by sophas on 1/24. I heard back via their online admission status that you can log onto and check on 2/24 at around 2am eastern time. I was admitted to the community health sciences division. I just got a formal email from the graduate admissions early this morning 02/29 at around 220am eastern time. They said that a letter should be arriving soon. Good luck to you! Also, when did sophas submit your GWU MPH health promotion application? Mine was sent 1/24 and I am still waiting to hear back, i applied to health promotion as well. Thanks!

For those that have heard from UIC, how long did it take for them to review your application? It sounds like a lot of people have gotten full or partial scholarships from UMich...did that come with your admission later or later on?

For UIC, SOPHAS mailed my application on January 24, and I received my acceptance from the Community Health Sciences, Maternal and Child Health dept on February 10. Pretty fast turn around! I was also notified of a tuition waiver and stipend, but this may be specific to MCH and not CHS.

For UM, I don't think the HBHE dept has released scholarship info yet. Can anyone here attest to this? I corresponded with their student administrative coordinator, and she said the department hopes to send out awards (via email and mail) before the admitted student visit day on March 16th. Until they select the award recipients, only loans will get posted to Wolverine Access. The financial aid office will then adjust the loan amount accordingly.

Hope this helps!

For UIC, SOPHAS mailed my application on January 24, and I received my acceptance from the Community Health Sciences, Maternal and Child Health dept on February 10. Pretty fast turn around! I was also notified of a tuition waiver and stipend, but this may be specific to MCH and not CHS.

For UM, I don't think the HBHE dept has released scholarship info yet. Can anyone here attest to this? I corresponded with their student administrative coordinator, and she said the department hopes to send out awards (via email and mail) before the admitted student visit day on March 16th. Until they select the award recipients, only loans will get posted to Wolverine Access. The financial aid office will then adjust the loan amount accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks for the info! When you were notified of tuition waiver for UIC did you get that with your acceptance letter in the mail, or through email when they told you you were admitted? Do you mind if i ask what your stats were? And are you a resident of Illinois? I think UIC is my top choice right now.

Thanks!

My application for UIC was submitted by sophas on 1/24. I heard back via their online admission status that you can log onto and check on 2/24 at around 2am eastern time. I was admitted to the community health sciences division. I just got a formal email from the graduate admissions early this morning 02/29 at around 220am eastern time. They said that a letter should be arriving soon. Good luck to you! Also, when did sophas submit your GWU MPH health promotion application? Mine was sent 1/24 and I am still waiting to hear back, i applied to health promotion as well. Thanks!

Thank you both-- this is super helpful! Wow, that is fast turn around for UIC. Hopefully I will be hearing from them soon.

mkhm- I submitted my GW application to SOPHAs on 12/28 and received an emailed acceptance letter on 1/24. I know someone else that applied and she received an award letter about a month and a half after applying.

Rhapsody- It's way better to know that they are still deciding on UofM HBHE scholarship awards, rather than it being a definite 'no' if we didn't hear anything with the admission letter. Thanks for the reassurance!

And congrats on getting into the schools!

Hi mkhm89,

The graduate education coordinator for the MCH program sent an email with an attached acceptance letter that included information about the tuition waiver and stipend. This was a pleasant surprise because I hadn't formally applied for any scholarships at UIC. Also, to answer your question about residency, I currently live in Massachusetts. Did you apply to the MCH program?

Here are my stats (also posted in an earlier thread):

Undergrad - 2008 grad from an Ivy, Human Development and Neuroscience major
cGPA - 3.7, major - 3.9
GRE - 570v, 720q, 5.0
Experience - mostly research, including 1.5 years in a childhood poverty lab, 1 year in a developmental cognitive neuroscience lab, and 1.5 years years at non-profit organization; honors thesis; co-authorship of high impact journal publication and book chapter; 1 year volunteering as an after-school tutor for underserved HS students; EMT and some hospital ER volunteering; 4 years writing for a disability advocacy newsletter

Has anyone heard from University of Pittsburgh's MPH program?

I have the same question as KatyaSel. I got accepted to U of Michigan but I have not heard anything about a scholarship. When were you all notified of that? In the email or admission package via mail? Same question goes for those accepted to UIC and GWU.

Hi Rumba,

I heard back about admissinos to UMich on 2/13 and I received notice of a half-tuition Dean's Scholarship yesterday (2/29). Both by e-mail.

I've gotten a couple letters from SLU now congratulating me on my conditional acceptance. Any idea what this could be about? I've tried contacting their director of admissions but haven't been able to get through yet, though I've left a few messages. I'm just worried about what it's conditional on... and if it'll affect my chances for a scholarship/assistantship...

Thanks for the response!
KatyaSel, I was admitted for community health at UIC. I'm not sure when admitted student day is but they stated in te email that they will be mailig a package.
Another question for those who applied for Columbia's Pop Fam program-have you heard back from them? That's pretty much the last school I'm waiting on so that I can make my decision!

Has anyone heard from University of Pittsburgh's MPH program?

I just heard from University of Pittsburgh on 2/26. Somehow I got the email at around 11PM on a Sunday night lol. I was accepted in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology but they said that Epi still have not made a decision yet.

Does anyone know how Yale reviews applications? I applied to Chronic Disease Epi as my first choice and Health Management as my second choice. Do the departments both receive the application and give their independent offers or does the application get passed down from the first choice to the second choice?

I just heard from University of Pittsburgh on 2/26. Somehow I got the email at around 11PM on a Sunday night lol. I was accepted in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology but they said that Epi still have not made a decision yet.

Thanks and Congrats!! I'm still waiting on Behavioral and Community Health Sciences. I got one of my acceptance emails at 9:34 pm so people must be working crazy hours!

I am waiting for UCLA (CHA), Berkeley (MCH), Columbia (SMS) and Yale. Anyone else find themselves in the same situation. I'ver pretty much heard from the rest of my schools.

I am waiting for UCLA (CHA), Berkeley (MCH), Columbia (SMS) and Yale. Anyone else find themselves in the same situation. I'ver pretty much heard from the rest of my schools.

Yea, still waiting on UCLA and Columbia :xf:

Is there anyone else who is heading to Chapel Hill to interview on march 12 and Michigan to interview March 22?

I was accepted to my first choice at Yale by the end of Jan, and never heard of anything from my second choice department. I guess the applications are not independent. Once admitted to the first choice, they would automatically ignore the application to the second one.

Does anyone know how Yale reviews applications? I applied to Chronic Disease Epi as my first choice and Health Management as my second choice. Do the departments both receive the application and give their independent offers or does the application get passed down from the first choice to the second choice?

Got an email from UCLA asking for my official transcript for final review by Graduate Admission Office. Does that mean I have a great chance to be accepted?

Hi Oneday-

I heard back from JHU MPH and BU MPH already, but still waiting on Yale. I'm not sure what to think. What department at yale did you apply to?

UGH! Also STILL waiting for Columbia SMS...

I'm with ya. I'm waiting for Columbia (MPH - Environmental Health Sciences) and Boston University (MPH - Maternal/Child Health)... :confused:

Is anyone else having issues with Yale?

After my application was submitted, they didn't send me an e-mail of its receipt (which this school obviously does). I had to inquire myself after some time had passed and they assured me that I would get an e-mail when my application was complete.

Over a month passes and nothing! So I contact them again and apparently my application has been complete and they told me they haven't reached a decision.

Obviously, these were 2 e-mails that applicants are supposed to get. I've been checking the inbox and junk folder in my e-mail and I've had no issues getting e-mails from other schools, so clearly, they just didn't bother notifying me.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't care if they reject me, but I'm bothered that they're just acting like I don't exist.

Last edited:
Same here:(

Ugh, I'm so fed up. Do they just keep in contact with who they feel like keeping in contact with? We all paid the same application fee and submitted the same application. They should at least give everyone the same treatment.

Same here! I emailed the Mailman School and received a vague but "soon" response.

"You should be notified soon regarding your admissions decision. You will receive an email notification when it is available."

So I guess any day now... I've heard some people are getting their admissions decisions at night, around 9pm??

Got an email from UCLA asking for my official transcript for final review by Graduate Admission Office. Does that mean I have a great chance to be accepted?

I got that same email and I got accepted 2 weeks after. Good luck! :thumbup:

Yea, still waiting on UCLA and Columbia :xf:

UGHHHHH I'm waiting on Columbia. As far as I'm concerned I don't even know if Columbia got my application. I haven't heard ANYTHING from those people.

UGHHHHH I'm waiting on Columbia. As far as I'm concerned I don't even know if Columbia got my application. I haven't heard ANYTHING from those people.

I've had good luck with emailing them and asking for a status update. Usually it's standard "oh we got it don't worry you paranoid guy you," but they'll let you know if for whatever reason you're missing materials.

I got that same email and I got accepted 2 weeks after. Good luck! :thumbup:

Did you get accepted by logging into the decision status portal or did UCLA send you an email? Also, may I ask which program you got accepted to?

Did you get accepted by logging into the decision status portal or did UCLA send you an email? Also, may I ask which program you got accepted to?

I was on that decision status portal like a hawk. I checked on Monday night, and no decision was made. I woke up the next day, and saw that UCLA emailed me about my admission at 3am in the morning. I'll be in EHS, but thinking about switching to CHS after my first quarter. PM me if you get notified! I'm looking forward to connecting to future classmates :)

I am now confused what I should choose... I need help from all you guys...

Firstly, since I am an international student, I applied to 11 programs.

Applied : BU (Epi), Columbia(Epi of Chronic Disease), Drexel(Epi), Michigan (Hospital and Molecular Epi), GW (Epi), Yale (CDE), Emory (Epi), Pittsburg (IDM), USC(Epi), UTH (Epi) and SLU (Epi& Bio)

Accepted : BU, Drexel, Michigan, GW, Yale, Emory, Pittsburg

Waiting : Columbia, USC, UTH and SLU

Now, the question is which program should i choose between Yale, Emory, Michigan and BU. Please add columbia also... I hope to receive an acceptance from them also...

I also want to know which of these have tie ups with medical schools? How are the research opportunities?

I have yet to hear from Boston University (MPH - Maternal/Infant Heath), Columbia University (MPH - Environ Health Sciences)

Is anyone in the same boat? It appears I'm alone with BU, but Columbia is not budging with anyone. :confused:

I have yet to hear from Boston University (MPH - Maternal/Infant Heath), Columbia University (MPH - Environ Health Sciences)

Is anyone in the same boat? It appears I'm alone with BU, but Columbia is not budging with anyone. :confused:

I'm with you on Columbia but for Sociomedical Sciences. I also applied to BU (submitted in November) and was accepted mid-december.

Good luck to you!! I hope we hear back soon :eek:

Anybody else receive this from UCLA SPH?

"Greetings from the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health! As we are at the beginning of March I wanted to take a moment to update you on our selection process. This year’s selection process has been very challenging due to the extremely high quality of applicants. As the Fielding School does a complete review of every application, our process has been slightly slower than anticipated and are expecting to have all decision completed with a week or so. "

I did ...

Anybody else receive this from UCLA SPH?

"Greetings from the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health! As we are at the beginning of March I wanted to take a moment to update you on our selection process. This year’s selection process has been very challenging due to the extremely high quality of applicants. As the Fielding School does a complete review of every application, our process has been slightly slower than anticipated and are expecting to have all decision completed with a week or so. "

I finally got my first acceptance!! I'm in at Yale (SBS with Global Health concentration)! It's such a relief to finally have at least one acceptance. I was a neurotic mess over the last month! Now I'm waiting on Hopkins, Columbia, Tulane and GW.