Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an acceptance from Johns Hopkins for ScM Biostats program! I submitted in October so it was a looong wait.

Heard back from GW about scholarships yesterday - I did not get one, so if you haven't heard back that is probably a good sign.

Good luck everybody!

Applied: JHU, GW, U Maryland, Georgetown
Accepted: JHU, GW, U Maryland, Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!!! I've been waiting for 8 weeks but still haven't heard anything from them yet!! I applied to the ScM of Epi. Not many acceptance for ScM programs has been released.

Just got an acceptance from Johns Hopkins for ScM Biostats program! I submitted in October so it was a looong wait.

Heard back from GW about scholarships yesterday - I did not get one, so if you haven't heard back that is probably a good sign.

Good luck everybody!

I'm with ya. I'm waiting for Columbia (MPH - Environmental Health Sciences) and Boston University (MPH - Maternal/Child Health)... :confused:

That's funny, I'm waiting for those two schools, too, but different concentrations. Maybe today's the day.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck everybody!

Congratulations! Now it's decision time :scared:

I finally got my first acceptance!! I'm in at Yale (SBS with Global Health concentration)! It's such a relief to finally have at least one acceptance. I was a neurotic mess over the last month! Now I'm waiting on Hopkins, Columbia, Tulane and GW.

When did you submit all of your applications?

Got an acceptance email from Harvard today at 3:15pm for the MPH Quantitative Methods program!!! I'm excited.

Just checked Hopkins and they posted my decision online...

In for MHS Epi!!!!!!!!

Me too!!!! I checked my status after seeing your post.

I'm in at the JHU ScM of Epi!!! Definitely my first choice!!!

In for MHS Epi!!!!!!!!

When did you submit all of your applications?
I submitted Jan 15 and SOPHAS mailed it out on Feb 14th. So it was actually a quick turnaround once they got my application!

Found out on Tuesday that I got onto the Harvard MPH (Global Health) with a fellowship covering full fees and living costs!!!
Cannot wait to meet some of you!

That's funny, I'm waiting for those two schools, too, but different concentrations. Maybe today's the day.

I'm a mess waiting for Boston University. It's my top choice and the admissions committee has to put up with the arduous task of trying to distinguish between those applicants that use the school as a safety (crap load) and the applicants ready to commit!

Columbia University just has no courtesy. Not even a damn email to acknowledge they have our stuff. Lol.

New member. First post

International Student from Nigeria
MBBS
2 years clinical experience

GRE (1280): Q 740, V 540, W 4.0
GPA: 3.18/4

Applied (all MPH Epid): Tulane, Texas A&M, UNT, UT Houston, UAB, UMDNJ, Minnesota, SUNy Albany, SUNY Buffalo
Accepted: Tulane
Waiting: All the rest
Rejected:

jost got an email...

Accepted at Harvard MPH in Quantitative Methods (although I applied ofr P&M)

SO happy!!!!:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else receive this from UCLA SPH?

"Greetings from the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health! As we are at the beginning of March I wanted to take a moment to update you on our selection process. This year’s selection process has been very challenging due to the extremely high quality of applicants. As the Fielding School does a complete review of every application, our process has been slightly slower than anticipated and are expecting to have all decision completed with a week or so. "
Yes and I am so frustrated >:[

got into Umich and GWU today!:D

waitlisted at BU:smuggrin:

WHOA. WHOA. WHOAAAAAAA. I got accepted to UCLA on Wednesday and just got an email today saying I was selected for the DEAN'S LEADERSHIP GRANT AWARD for $10,000 x 2 years :) $20,000 total! WOOOOT MORE! I totally didn't expect that because when I called UCLA about a potential scholarship, they said I wouldn't get one because I didn't sign up for a fellowship.

Finally heard from GWU-health promotion:)

Congratulations!!! :) What concentration are you focusing in if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! For UMich - Health Behavior and Health Education. For GWU: Health Promotion :D

So for, because of my GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon program.... I can attend UPitt, Drexel, and UMich for FREE! On top of getting a housing allowance that pays more than the cost of rent :D I'm just waiting for Yale/Columbia now. But out of Pitt/Drexel/Mich, UMich is my top choice:thumbup:

Hi guys... i am another new around

152V, 151Q, 3.5A
Applied only one... NYU-MPH (International health)
Accepted at this university...: :) ... with 9000$ scholarship per 2 semesters

should i further apply other programs??? how much is it gonna cost (including 9000$) .... Can anyone with more experience in admission processes, guide me plz..

Just heard from Tulane and GW today! I'm accepted for global comm health and health promotion. Still undecided. Gonna wait and hear about financial aid and scholarships. Anyone heard anything about that from Tulane, GW, or UTH?

Applied
: UMinn, UT-Houston, Tulane, GW, UArizona, UColorado
Accepted: UT-Houston, Tulane, GW
Waiting: UArizona, UColorado
Rejected:UMinn

Hi guys... i am another new around

152V, 151Q, 3.5A
Applied only one... NYU-MPH (International health)
Accepted at this university...: :) ... with 9000$ scholarship per 2 semesters

should i further apply other programs??? how much is it gonna cost (including 9000$) .... Can anyone with more experience in admission processes, guide me plz..

It looks like it costs roughly $64,400 for the program tuition and fees. You are too late to apply to most other schools.

Ah! A friend got into Columbia MPH SMS today via email...which doesn't make me feel any better since I'm still waiting on the same department! Just figured I'd keep anyone else waiting in the loop.

Thanks! For UMich - Health Behavior and Health Education. For GWU: Health Promotion :D

So for, because of my GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon program.... I can attend UPitt, Drexel, and UMich for FREE! On top of getting a housing allowance that pays more than the cost of rent :D I'm just waiting for Yale/Columbia now. But out of Pitt/Drexel/Mich, UMich is my top choice:thumbup:

That was almost incentive enough for me to apply to those schools! Unfortunately, benefits won't fully cover any of the schools I applied to, but Emory will be pretty close to covered!

admission to NYU-MPH (community & int health)... with 9000$ / 2semesters scholarship... Anyone please guide... is it good, bad or ok???

I also heard from GWU and was accepted via email to the Epidemiology department today!

I just contacted JH today and they said I should expect to hear in 5-7 weeks :( My application was submitted 12/28, but not confirmed complete unitl 1/19 and forwarded to the admissions committee until 2/7
5-7 weeks? Ridiculous. People need to make decisions soon you know!

admission to NYU-MPH (community & int health)... with 9000$ / 2semesters scholarship... Anyone please guide... is it good, bad or ok???

I applied to NYU too for the same program, how/when did you hear back? I haven't heard anything back. From what I know, NYU's MPH program is relatively new but it is accredited. However, I do worry that since it is sort of new compared to the other established schools of public health, the alumni networks may not be as strong. Also, NYU is notorious for their pricey tuition. (I applied b/c I reside in the NYC area). But as for the strength of the program, I am clueless like you are so I can't comment. So maybe someone here can enlighten

I am now confused what I should choose... I need help from all you guys...

Firstly, since I am an international student, I applied to 11 programs.

Applied : BU (Epi), Columbia(Epi of Chronic Disease), Drexel(Epi), Michigan (Hospital and Molecular Epi), GW (Epi), Yale (CDE), Emory (Epi), Pittsburg (IDM), USC(Epi), UTH (Epi) and SLU (Epi& Bio)

Accepted : BU, Drexel, Michigan, GW, Yale, Emory, Pittsburg

Waiting : Columbia, USC, UTH and SLU

Now, the question is which program should i choose between Yale, Emory, Michigan and BU. Please add columbia also... I hope to receive an acceptance from them also...

I also want to know which of these have tie ups with medical schools? How are the research opportunities?
Hi, Congratulations to you! I am sorry I have a question to ask you. Emory school of public health admission office just forwarded my application to Epidemiology department. Do you know how long it takes for Emory Epidemiology department to review your applications? Thank you very much!

I received the same acceptance and award. I went to visit the school/sat in on a class and realized it wasn't for me. NYU is a good school, so I'd said it's definitely good offer. If possible, try to sit in on a class to see what you think.

For me, I realized I liked NYC to visit, but definitely not to live. To big, loud, dirty, and crowded for my tastes. The academic buildings just seemed old and run down on the inside to me. The professor also wasn't very engaging and was having trouble with simple technology, such as a power point.

In for MHS Epi!!!!!!!!
Congrats, EpiWin! I checked my Hopkins Epi MHS status online and still nothing...

Not sure if that's good or bad. I applied in October and got the "application forwarded" postcard in early December. I did have an extra recommendation sent in later, so maybe that pushed me back to the bottom of the pile?

Either way, I think it's time to contact them again. My wife and I are getting restless and want to know if/where we'll be moving! I've had no success contacting the Epi admissions coordinator or whatever. Those of you who were successful in getting a status update from the Epi department - how did you do it??

Just got an email from University of Minnesota and I got in! I can't believe it- I was hoping I'd get into one and now I'm at four!

I hope everyone who is waiting for news gets it soon!

Just got an email from University of Minnesota and I got in! I can't believe it- I was hoping I'd get into one and now I'm at four!

I hope everyone who is waiting for news gets it soon!

I just got the same email! I'm also in at Univ of Minn :D

Yea, same here. I applied to so many schools cause I didnt think i was competitive. That makes 7 acceptances, 1 rejection, and 1 waitlisted for me :laugh:

I'm a mess waiting for Boston University. It's my top choice and the admissions committee has to put up with the arduous task of trying to distinguish between those applicants that use the school as a safety (crap load) and the applicants ready to commit!

Columbia University just has no courtesy. Not even a damn email to acknowledge they have our stuff. Lol.

So sorry to hear you are still waiting on BU! I heard from them (SBS) on Wednesday night via email, so you might be hearing from them soon? How long has it been? If it's been around 5 weeks, definitely shoot them an email stating you are anxiously awaiting their reply, that it's your top school, and if they need additional information you'd be happy to provide it, etc. That might help you out a bit....Good luck!!! :luck:

I just got the same email! I'm also in at Univ of Minn :D

Yea, same here. I applied to so many schools cause I didnt think i was competitive. That makes 7 acceptances, 1 rejection, and 1 waitlisted for me :laugh:

Was this minneola Mha or mph?

Hey guys!

I'm the guy waiting for Columbia and BU decisions. I received a little surprise this afternoon....

I've been accepted to Columbia University! MPH - Env Health Sciences with a Cert in Child/Fam Health!

Now for BU....

So sorry to hear you are still waiting on BU! I heard from them (SBS) on Wednesday night via email, so you might be hearing from them soon? How long has it been? If it's been around 5 weeks, definitely shoot them an email stating you are anxiously awaiting their reply, that it's your top school, and if they need additional information you'd be happy to provide it, etc. That might help you out a bit....Good luck!!! :luck:

Thanks Kalla. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow so I'll wait until Monday/Tuesday before I send an email or make a call. How much was your merit award for? Hopefully we'll be in the same class! Congratulations.

Thanks Kalla. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow so I'll wait until Monday/Tuesday before I send an email or make a call. How much was your merit award for? Hopefully we'll be in the same class! Congratulations.

BU didn't say how much the merit award was in the email they sent me - they only said "in the coming weeks" they will send me a full acceptance package with information on my merit award and other scholarship/financial opportunities. I've seen a range of 10-20k though for their merit awards, so any little bit helps! I've been under a bit of stress regarding my saved up grad school funds - hopefully I can stay above water while finishing my degree! :laugh:

Applied (schools confirmed receipt of my app via email on these dates):

Hopkins 1/2
Emory 2/1
Pittsburgh 2/3
Boston 2/13
GW 2/15

I was surprised to get my acceptances so quickly.

Hopkins Health Ed and Health Comm. 2/15
Emory Behavioral Sciences and Health Ed 2/6
Pittsburgh Behavioral and Comm. Health Sciences 2/10
GW Health Promotion w/ MCH certificate 3/2

Still waiting on Boston. They emailed me yesterday asking me to tell them a bit more about what I could bring to Boston and why it was the right place for me. So we shall see...

GPA: 3.9
B.S in Community Health, May 2012
GRE 600(Q), 590 (V), 4.0 (A)

So worried about costs! But it seems like decisions are finally rolling out for me. I'm hoping I can stay in CA because of costs, but I haven't received any responses from CA schools yet! =/

Environmental Health Science (MPH)

Applied: GW, UIC, BU, Columbia, Yale, UCLA, UCB, Irvine
Accepted: GW (3/2), UIC (3/2, informally), Columbia (3/3), Yale (2/18)
Waiting: UCLA, UCB, Irvine, BU

I received an email from BU yesterday saying that they want me to answer one more question before they make their decision.

Applied (schools confirmed receipt of my app via email on these dates):

Still waiting on Boston. They emailed me yesterday asking me to tell them a bit more about what I could bring to Boston and why it was the right place for me. So we shall see...

GPA: 3.9
B.S in Community Health, May 2012
GRE 600(Q), 590 (V), 4.0 (A)

Refer to this thread at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=797974 - BU seems to be paranoid (or worried?) that some students are using them as a safety school, so receiving this email is fairly common.

I got into Columbia!
MPH in Population and Family Health with a certificate in Child, Youth, and Family Health.

I got into Columbia!
MPH in Population and Family Health with a certificate in Child, Youth, and Family Health.

Same here but my concentration will be in global health. I heard back from them yesterday evening. I'm so excited!

Hi, Congratulations to you! I am sorry I have a question to ask you. Emory school of public health admission office just forwarded my application to Epidemiology department. Do you know how long it takes for Emory Epidemiology department to review your applications? Thank you very much!

The Epidemiology Dept took one week to send me an official letter...

All Epidemiology:

Applied: Columbia, Yale, Emory, Michigan, Boston
Accepted: Emory, Michigan, Boston
Rejected: none yet...

Firstly, Congratulations on the admits... Secondly - when did u apply? How mnay days did columbia take to give an admit from the time of application?

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 1/3, apps sent to schools on 1/25. Never received a confirmation from Columbia so I emailed them 2 weeks ago to confirm. They emailed me back within 2 days and confirmed they received my app and I finally got admitted yesterday. Best of luck!

I got my official acceptance letter from BU today ((first, can I just say WOW? what a nice, professional packet they have!)) I received a $15,000 merit award and a hand-written note from the Admissions department! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: Totally on Cloud Nine right now! :D Can't wait for Accepted Students' Day on April 6th!