Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Pitt MPH epidemiology? They have taken forever to get back to me and the accepted applicants day is today. I emailed them, and they told me that it had been reviewed, is being processed, and I'll get a letter next week. I am really anxious since it is my first choice. I was wondering if they only send the letter or if they let you know through email? When I mentioned how I would miss the accepted applicants day, she said "once you get your letter, feel free to set up an appointment with me." I don't want to read too much into it, but I can't help but think, why would she say this if I were rejected....??

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who has gotten their acceptance letters. I can't wait to join you guys, though I won't be applying for another year and a half... :) Anyway, way to go! :D

Thanks! Yeah, that's my thought too- no way I'll get a RA/TA position if I'm on the waitlist. Where did you decide to go?

They didn't offer me an RA/TA position, and I was accepted in January. I ended up choosing Hopkins MSPH/RD. It was a really tough decision between Hopkins and UNC! Good luck on UNC!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Monk - congratulations on your acceptances! I'm sorry about UNC though - If it helps any, Yale ranks 13th, not that rankings mean anything substantial, but it certainly can help a reputation of a school. Out of the choices you were accepted into, I would probably go to Yale, due to having more familiarity with the program and having attended my undergraduate school in New Haven.

New Haven is pretty damn cheap to live in, especially if you board with a roomate, though I can understand it not being that way if you came from a very inexpensive area to begin with. Lots of housing options there, and I'm sure Yale could tell you the best areas to live. New Haven is a nice little citty in its downtown area - very Yale-centric since obviously that's where the college is mainly located :cool: Lots of good restaurants and other things to keep you entertained as well....plus it's always a quick train ride to NYC for day trips!

Be careful though. New Haven has some super sketchy parts - one minute you'll be in a nice area, and the next minute, not-so-much. Stay in well-lit, well-populated, and familiar areas and you'll be fine. If you are out and about at night, use the buddy system. Standard safety tips apply :D

Not sure about Yale's funding options or too much about the program itself, but I heard it's a solid program and if it suits your career goals, go for it! Ultimately, the choice has to be yours. Although parental pressure can stink, it's your degree, not theirs. But it sounds to me like you are happy about Yale as well? Good luck! :luck:

Thank you so much for your response, Kalla! After talking to some more students, I'm a bit more sold on the School. I'm going up to visit this week- I'm super excited. I'll definitely be doing some apartment hunting while I'm up there (in the good parts). As a Penn State alum, I just need to accept the fact that my big party school days are over and embrace the sophistication of New Haven happy hour :thumbup: :D Cheers!

Did anyone get information on scholarships from HSPH??? it is supposed to be released on 26th March right?

Has anyone heard from Pitt MPH epidemiology? They have taken forever to get back to me and the accepted applicants day is today. I emailed them, and they told me that it had been reviewed, is being processed, and I'll get a letter next week. I am really anxious since it is my first choice. I was wondering if they only send the letter or if they let you know through email? When I mentioned how I would miss the accepted applicants day, she said "once you get your letter, feel free to set up an appointment with me." I don't want to read too much into it, but I can't help but think, why would she say this if I were rejected....??

I've had a very similar and unfortunately not so good experience at Pitt. I emailed the department twice and called once to not hear anything back so I finally contacted admissions. The person I spoke with there was great and very embarrassed that no one could get back to me. Sadly, at this point I don't even want to go to Pitt. I think it's okay to ask them to email you at the same time that they send a letter- that's what they offered to do with me. I hope you hear something positive soon!

Thank you so much for your response, Kalla! After talking to some more students, I'm a bit more sold on the School. I'm going up to visit this week- I'm super excited. I'll definitely be doing some apartment hunting while I'm up there (in the good parts). As a Penn State alum, I just need to accept the fact that my big party school days are over and embrace the sophistication of New Haven happy hour :thumbup: :D Cheers!

Pour that champagne, monk. :cool:

Stay Klassy.

Last edited:
Has anyone received or heard anything from SDSU's MPH program in Health Promotion and Behavioral Science recently?

I haven't had any changes online except for the one erikuh pointed out a few weeks ago, and my status had been like that since I submitted my missing documents. I haven't received anything in the mail, and this concentration is probably the last to send out results. I hope this week is the week we receive the admission decisions.

I was just accepted into BU for their Health Policy and Management concentration. Now I have to decide between San Diego State and Boston U. I'm from California so the tuition would be less at SDSU.

Any input on each school? Thanks!

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could provide any insights on waitlisting. How much of a chance do I have of getting off the waitlist? I am waitlisted at Yale... but I have a couple of acceptances and the deposit is due soon. I know that there was one person who got off the waitlist on this forum this year but I've actually been waitlisted pretty recently.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Question for folks accepted into SDSU's Environmental Health and Health Policy programs:

Did you receive an email/link with your admission results or did you receive notice through the mail (via postal service)? I wonder if acceptances or rejections come separately through one method or the other.

My Arizona deadline is approaching soon. I have a feeling we'll be hearing from SDSU this week or the next!

Question for folks accepted into SDSU's Environmental Health and Health Policy programs:

Did you receive an email/link with your admission results or did you receive notice through the mail (via postal service)? I wonder if acceptances or rejections come separately through one method or the other.

My Arizona deadline is approaching soon. I have a feeling we'll be hearing from SDSU this week or the next!
Received my admission results in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted into BU for their Health Policy and Management concentration. Now I have to decide between San Diego State and Boston U. I'm from California so the tuition would be less at SDSU.

Any input on each school? Thanks!

do you remember when your application was complete to BU? i am STILL WAITING!!!!!!! (same concentration)

Did anyone not get a response from Berkeley yet? I wonder if I'm the only one. -_- Should I just call them?

do you remember when your application was complete to BU? i am STILL WAITING!!!!!!! (same concentration)
my application was complete on Feb 15th. I just heard back, so you should hear back this week!

I called Sdsu today and they told me they review applications by department/concentration. they'r reviewing HMP now and they said they should let people know by the end of march!

Have you heard back yet? I'm waiting for a response to my application for SDSU's MPH Health Management and Policy concentration.

Greenseeking, what number are you on the waitlist? I also have the same question about waitlisting, as I was waitlisted for EMD

Anyone who's gotten their SDSU acceptance already did it explain any sort of open house/visit day to learn more about the program and meet other potential students?

Anyone who's gotten their SDSU acceptance already did it explain any sort of open house/visit day to learn more about the program and meet other potential students?

I havent received my acceptance letter (yet) but I subscribe to their email list (you can sign up on the GSPH website). One of the newsletters I received said they are having a First Year Student Orientation on Wednesday, April 25th from 7-8pm. Hope this helps! What is your concentration? I hope we hear something soon!

Have you heard back yet? I'm waiting for a response to my application for SDSU's MPH Health Management and Policy concentration.

I received a letter of admissions from SDSU in the mail last Friday for the HMP track. Try calling them and ask if they already mailed you a letter.

I received a letter of admissions from SDSU in the mail last Friday for the HMP track. Try calling them and ask if they already mailed you a letter.

Congratulations!! I called them today but Brenda is out of the office until Monday. Was your application and supporting documents turned in early? One of my letters of rec was turned in the day before the final due date so I was prepared for a delay.

I havent received my acceptance letter (yet) but I subscribe to their email list (you can sign up on the GSPH website). One of the newsletters I received said they are having a First Year Student Orientation on Wednesday, April 25th from 7-8pm. Hope this helps! What is your concentration? I hope we hear something soon!

Health Promotion and Behavioral Science. Thanks for the info I'll sign up for the newsletters too. April 25th is after the SIR date for UCI (4/15) so hopefully I make the right choice.

April 25th is UCI's SIR date? I hope I hear from them soon =/, marking SDSU's Orientation on my calendar! =D

April 25th is UCI's SIR date? I hope I hear from them soon =/, marking SDSU's Orientation on my calendar! =D

April 15th is their SIR date. And their open house is Monday April 9th. So they should be letting everyone know soon.

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could provide any insights on waitlisting. How much of a chance do I have of getting off the waitlist? I am waitlisted at Yale... but I have a couple of acceptances and the deposit is due soon. I know that there was one person who got off the waitlist on this forum this year but I've actually been waitlisted pretty recently.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
I think waitlisting all depends. I assume your waitlist didnt say how high (or low) on the list you were? I was waitlisted for undergrad and got in. I have seen it go both ways with professional/grad schools. In short, hope for the best, plan for the worst...

Declined U Maryland's offer yesterday and found out today I am accepted to Tulane. I am going to pull my applications at Florida and South Carolina.

Edit: Just got my acceptance letter to Florida!

Last edited:
Hello.

Trying to decide between Minnesota MPH Epi and Tulane MPH Epi. Any information about both schools will be appreciated.

I'm an international student and won't be able to visit the schools.

Thx

Hi everyone!
Just joined the forum. Congrats everybody who was accepted!
I an international student, applying for MPH in Epi
Applied: Emory, UMinn, U of Florida, U of Arizona, Pitt, Tulane
Accepted: Tulane

Still waiting :xf:

I received a letter from SDSU today! Accepted to the MPH Health Promotion and Behavioral Science program. :)

Nothing about their First Year Orientation, but the SIR date is April 18th. They give you a return postcard to send back indicating whether or not you accept.

I received a letter from SDSU today! Accepted to the MPH Health Promotion and Behavioral Science program. :)

Nothing about their First Year Orientation, but the SIR date is April 18th. They give you a return postcard to send back indicating whether or not you accept.

Awesome! Congrats! Is that where you're officially going to attend?

Quick rant:
I really wish ASPH would publish the 2011 Annual Data Report already!
Also does anyone know when US News will update their Public Health Rankings? They've already done the 2012 rankings for med schools and such...

Is there a website that ranks/compares MPH epidemiology programs? I am trying to see which schools have the best epi programs, but its been really hard to find. any help would be appreciated! thanks :)

yeah they sent my decision already. everyone else's should be coming shortly i believe

^ from SDSU? I've been at home for spring break so I haven't been able to check my mail all week!

Dear all,

I am looking into education loans at this moment. I know there are 4 popular ones: Direct subsidized loan, direct unsubsidized loan, direct PLUS loan and Perkin loan. The first three are only for US citizen and eligible non-citizens. The Perkin loan does not mention that it is only for US citizens. I much prefer the Perkin loan since it has only 5% interest rate and the interest does not accrue while we are in school. Can anybody please advise:
- What is defined as "eligible non-citizens"? I do not have any connection to US (I have no family there and I have never been there"
- Which loan among the four is an international student most likely to receive?
- If I am not eligible for the abovementioned loan. What is the source of loan I can ask?

Thanks folks for your advice. I know it is now the critical time for many of us to make wise decision about admission and funding. Good luck!

Definition of eligible noncitizen

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/Glossary.jsp#elegiblenoncitizen

Last edited:
Dear all,

I am looking into education loans at this moment. I know there are 4 popular ones: Direct subsidized loan, direct unsubsidized loan, direct PLUS loan and Perkin loan. The first three are only for US citizen and eligible non-citizens. The Perkin loan does not mention that it is only for US citizens. I much prefer the Perkin loan since it has only 5% interest rate and the interest does not accrue while we are in school. Can anybody please advise:
- What is defined as "eligible non-citizens"? I do not have any connection to US (I have no family there and I have never been there"
- Which loan among the four is an international student most likely to receive?
- If I am not eligible for the abovementioned loan. What is the source of loan I can ask?

Thanks folks for your advice. I know it is now the critical time for many of us to make wise decision about admission and funding. Good luck!

Most foreign students are not eligible for federal financial aid. If I were you, I would contact your school's International Student Services office and ask for any information they have on financing.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/intl.jsp

Thanks a lot guys. Now I get a general idea of loans for international students. It seems that I need to get a private loans and a co-signer is a must.

I will contact the International Student Service office and see how Michigan will respond

Greetings,

Drexel invited me to apply to their MPH program and I did.

When did you all apply and how long did it take for you to hear anything back? (acceptances/rejections?)

thank you!

has anyone know more news abt Yale I havent heard of them since march 14 i am still waiting
Applied: UofA Mount Sinai, NYU Columbia Harvard BU UT Emory
Rejected:Columbia, Harvard, Emory, UT
Accepted; UA, MS, NYU
Waiting: yale and BU

I received my acceptance letter from SDSU's Health Management and Policy track!

Got accepted into Pitt's MPH program today! Will be declining since my experience with the department was extremely lacking.

Congratulations! I received my official admissions for SDSU's MPH in Health Management and Policy yesterday as well. I'm still not sure why they have two separate "intent to enroll" procedures (postcard for dept. acceptance and online for graduate admissions).

Congratulations! I received my official admissions for SDSU's MPH in Health Management and Policy yesterday as well. I'm still not sure why they have two separate "intent to enroll" procedures (postcard for dept. acceptance and online for graduate admissions).

Congrats! Yea the postcard is to let them know you "plan" on attending, the online is the "attending for sure" because you have to pay 400 dollars.

Thanks, kumo21! Does anyone planning to attend SDSU know where to find affordable apartments nearby (less expensive than on-campus housing)?