About the ads

Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by healthdisparity, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. OneDay81

OneDay81

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Got my first rejection today (Hopkins) :( Luckily I had already decided I didn't want to go there, mainly because it was a MHS and the curriculum didn't exactly suit me, so i was just waiting to see what they would say out of curiosity :p

I also just got my last acceptance! Finally, all the waiting is done :D
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. ToreraM

ToreraM

I would start checking on Craigslist. I just moved from a 1 bedroom in City Heights (near SDSU) and it was $800/month for 600 sq feet. That's a good price for SD but you can find better, especially if you have a roommate. The area surrounding SDSU is called College Area. Other surrounding neighborhoods you may want to check out is City Heights, North Park, Mission Gorge, and La Mesa. I'm not sure what you're looking for or what kind of neighborhood you'd like but that's a start.
  3. kumo21

kumo21

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I check rent.com you can find a bunch for 2 bedroom apt. for 1100 within 1 mile of sdsu, so 550 for your own room or 275 if you double up. Also, you get a $100 dollar visa card for mentioning rent.com =D
  4. chavtwo

chavtwo

Non-Student
    Thanks, mitu! See u there!
  5. matchesmalone1

matchesmalone1

I'm on the wait list for Columbia's Health Policy and Management program. Does anyone know what the deadline is for those who have been admitted to the program to submit their deposits?
  6. healthdisparity

healthdisparity

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The email I received said by 04/15/2012.

There is an Admitted Students Day on the 13th, where they hope to convince the HPM applicants. Good luck!
  7. matchesmalone1

matchesmalone1

Thanks! I hope there is some movement in the coming weeks then.
  8. donut21

donut21

I was never notified of my status for the UNC HBHE mph program and when I called I was unofficially told I was on the top of the waitlist, but they gave me no indication of how long it might take to hear. Is anyone else waitlisted to UNC HBHE or in a similar situation?
  9. Chub93

Chub93

SDN 2+ Year Member
    anybody get into Drexel?
  10. mphplease

mphplease

I did for Health Management but I turned them down.
  11. MsMPH12

MsMPH12

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got into Drexel and turned them down on Fri
  12. Chub93

Chub93

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did they interview you? or just accept you?
  13. Chub93

Chub93

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did they interview you? or just accept you?
  14. mphplease

mphplease

No, I just submitted a SOPHAS app for HMP and got accepted by email.
  15. MsMPH12

MsMPH12

SDN 2+ Year Member
    They just accepted me, no interview
  16. newbiephdapp

newbiephdapp

I applied for Phd program with UNC HBHE. I had called them earlier last week and they said I would get the letter in the mail this week. When I asked if they knew if it was an accept/ reject, they said they could not tell me over the phone. I am dying here....this is my only chance for fall 2012...else i have to reapply for next fall :(

Do you know if waiting this long is a bad thing? or a good thing?
  17. nadiarene

nadiarene

Pre-Medical
    Hey all! Congrats to everyone...just wanted to share my experience

I applied for MHA programs or MPH programs that focused on health management

Applied: GWU, BU, UPitt, Yale, Drexel,Columbia, OSU, UMD, U of I Chicago
    Accepted: Drexel, Columbia, UMD, U of I Chicago
    I had interviews at GWU, UPitt, and OSU but cancelled them once I heard from Columbia (my dream school)
    Rejected from Yale and still haven't heard from BU
    Attending: Columbia :)
  18. donut21

donut21

I don't know if waiting such a long time is a good or bad thing, but it worked out for me (I just got my letter over the weekend that said I was accepted). Good luck!!
  19. praha22

praha22

Psychology Student
    Officially just declined Columbia SMS program... I hope someone that wanted to go there as badly as I did gets off the wait list and takes my place.

While Columbia gave me a small need-based scholarship, the amount of loans that I would have to take out were tremendous and I felt financially irresponsible doing so. Columbia was my first choice and it was a very difficult decision for me to make.

Accepted: Columbia (SMS), CUNY:Hunter (Community Health Education), UMDNJ (Behavioral Science & Health Education)
    Rejected: None
    Attending: UMDNJ

Stats:
    GPA: 3.9 at a small public school
    GRE: Verbal - 84%, Quant - 67%, AW - 96%
    Major: Psychology, Minor: Gerontology
  20. fernweh

fernweh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Has anyone intending to go to SDSU heard anything after sending in their SIR postcard?
  21. kumo21

kumo21

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sent in my SIR postcard, my webportal changed to "admitted" and "classified graduate" about 2 weeks after I mailed it out. They got all my financial aid done as well. All loans, whoo!
  22. Porcupine

Porcupine

SDN 2+ Year Member

You are very brave. Earlier this week I decided to decline PhD scholarship offer from the University of Rochester, a good school (the reason was I am not ready to take PhD). It was so hard at that time but I know I won't regret.

Finger crossed for your study at UMDNJ :)
  23. erikuh

erikuh

SDN 2+ Year Member

Kumo and Fernweh are you both attending SDSU for sure? If so, then see you in the fall! :D
  24. fernweh

fernweh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks - mine changed today, about two weeks after I sent mine in. Whew. No news about loans, though.

That housing application is interesting - it seems like it is intended for undergraduates? It didn't mention Piedra del Sol or Emerald Isle and asked about what meal plan we wish to use.

I am!
  25. thedrjojo

thedrjojo Counting down the days until I lose my freedom

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 5+ Year Member
    Which UMDNJ campus you at?

As an MD, Class 2010 NJMS (UMDNJ-Newark), current resident in surgery at NJMS, and soon to be an MPH student in Quantitative Methods (my department is subsidizing my tuition while I am doing research in the lab, which I was going to be doing regardless, so getting an MPH on top of that to boot isn't too shabby), UMDNJ aint too shabby. And it very well may be Rutgers by the time we graduate, which will have a bit more name recognition than UMDNJ (but not sure how that will effect my departmental tuition break) - I'd just prefer all my degrees have the same banner on them however.
  26. kumo21

kumo21

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yea the housing application does seem intended for UG, I'll be looking into apartments next to the campus. Would anyone care to rent together? =D

2 bd/ 1 or 2 bath 1100-1300
    3bd/2 bath 1450-1800
  27. kumo21

kumo21

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Now that SDSU is enticing me with a grant that basically = free tuition, it's very likely that I will go to SDSU as well haha unless UCI accepts me and manages to one up them somehow :)
  28. Blizzard1mage

Blizzard1mage

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I may be interested if it works out. I still need to find a place.
  29. Mark Williams

Mark Williams

Hi, Congratulations...

I got interview call from Saint Louis University for MPH Health Policy & Management Program. Can you please tell us what kind of questions are generally asked in interviews.

I am fresh college graduate and have no work experience. Thanks.
  30. Mark Williams

Mark Williams

Hi, Congratulations...

I got interview call from Saint Louis University for MPH Health Policy & Management Program. Can you please tell me what kind of questions are generally asked in interviews.

I am fresh college graduate and have no work experience. Thanks.
  31. bobabensa

bobabensa

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi Mark

I had a phone interview with saint louis...it was really good , why MPH ? why our program? what are u planning to do next? things like that...good luck
  32. newbiephdapp

newbiephdapp

Congratulations!!!! I hope it is a good thing. The person on the phone refuses to give me any information. I am still waiting :(
  33. HopefulCJ

HopefulCJ

So received an email today from SDSU that my status has changed to "waitlisted". I love how they send this email to me 6 months after I turned in my application. Thanks SDSU, but no thanks, I'll stick with LLU.
  34. Mark Williams

Mark Williams

Thanks a lot. It means they will ask general questions only.
    Who interviewed you (if you can remind the name of the professor) and are you attending SLU..
  35. bobabensa

bobabensa

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dr. Elder, he was really nice . well, i'm still thinking about it. i still have another interview then will see. good luck
  36. Mark Williams

Mark Williams

Thanks. After how much time they informed you about admission decision and whats the tuition fee. If it is Ok with can u please tell me about your GRE scores and undergrad major, GPA.. so that I can evaluate my chances for admission..

My undergrad GPA is 3.2 ( B.Pharmacy), GRE - 1190 ( V-530, Q-660). Thanks again.
  37. alexa1130

alexa1130

Where are people waitlisted at this point? Is anyone waitlisted at UCLA for CHS?
  38. fancypants22

fancypants22

I've been waitlisted at UCLA for EPI :/ I just want them to give me a final answer! and not tease me like this...
  39. bobabensa

bobabensa

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got my acceptance letter in a week, but haven't heard from them after that. i asked for the tuition but didn't get an answer or the package yet. don't worry your scores are good :) good luck
  40. Shamoo

Shamoo

I've also been wait listed at UCLA for EHS. But I've been accepted to Drexel and Thomas Jefferson as well. Is one particularly better than the other? Are there any grads who can give their 2 cents on these programs? I've seen little to no mention of the Thomas Jefferson program

Thanks
  41. tomo1009

tomo1009

Non-Student
    does anyone know the difference between UCLA and Berkeley?
    and if i have already gone to berkeley for undergrad, should i just go to UCLA to experience something different? i do miss berkeley, though, and the public transportation there is great.
  42. Truelotus

Truelotus

SDN 2+ Year Member
  43. kpg16

kpg16

Wait listed at BU for HPM :-(

Anyone else wait listed there?

Good luck to all my fellow wait listers!! :)
  44. researchnerd

researchnerd

Was anyone else accepted to UAB (epi)? I was and I'm trying to decide between UAB and Drexel (epi&biostat). Any advice about either program?
  45. Jamiefrances

Jamiefrances

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, for Epi. They told me I can send in my spring transcripts, and mail them an additional letter of rec. to help my chances of being accepted off of the wait list, you might want to check with your department first, but I'm sure it's the same if you have some additional documents you'd like to send in!

Good Luck!
  46. alexa1130

alexa1130

My application got sent to the wrong department at UCLA. Does anyone know about appeals - are they worth it?

For now, I'm deciding between USC, SDSU, and Colorado. Which programs are best?
  47. Blizzard1mage

Blizzard1mage

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Whether it's worth it depends on your reasons for wanting to go there vs. elsewhere. If it's your first choice (and still your first choice), I'd say go for it. Good luck.
  48. yikes13579

yikes13579

did anyone get waitlisted at Yale and then got off the waitlist? what is the number of people that got accepted for 2011 and 2012?
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  49. yikes13579

yikes13579

i am in at ucla but i am starting to have doubts about going there. the city is very busy and traffic is horrendous, i just moved here from the east coast and there is no transportation system??? how are people dealing with driving toschool? does anyone else feel anxious about this? and what do people think about the SPH students there? i wasn't able to go to the visit day so i'd like to get an idea of what the students are like, ty!
  50. RAMPA

RAMPA Pimpiro

Non-Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    traffic is bad, but most students live near campus (within a 5mi radius).

what department are you in?