Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Admitted to the UMinn Huraaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The UMinn has its own way to make their prospective students nervous. I read the email title, then quickly opened the email, and damn it, the email referred to another link. I clicked the link and it showed a video clip. Nervously I plugged in the earphone and felt so happy when hearing "I will be the first one to congratulate you on your admission...."

When I started my applications last year, I was so nervous I did not know where I was standing among all the applicants so I tried very hard on GRE and SOP. Now, two admissions have arrived. My hard work is paid off and I am gonna focus on funding now.

Good luck to your applications guys =)

Applied: UMich, UMinn, UW, UGA, UMass, URochester
Accepted: UMich, UMinn
Rejected: none

Members don't see this ad.

The UMinn has its own way to make their prospective students nervous. I read the email title, then quickly opened the email, and damn it, the email referred to another link. I clicked the link and it showed a video clip. Nervously I plugged in the earphone and felt so happy when hearing "I will be the first one to congratulate you on your admission...."

When I started my applications last year, I was so nervous I did not know where I was standing among all the applicants so I tried very hard on GRE and SOP. Now, two admissions have arrived. My hard work is paid off and I am gonna focus on funding now.

Congrats! :D

hahah I feel like that video is a cute idea, but man would I be losing it if I was using a computer in a place where I couldn't turn on the sound! Congrats from me, too!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations! Sorry if you've already posted this, but when was your application complete?

In at Tulane! =) Applied like a week ago.

Stats:
GRE
150 (Q); 53%
162 (V); 90%
4.0 (W); 48%

GPA
3.4 overall
It's higher in each of my majors

Experience:
Have worked for ~1.5 years as a Research Assistant at a for-profit youth and adolescent development research firm. Have worked on SBIR and NIDA-funded grants to create substance abuse prevention programs for elementary and middle-school aged children. For the last 2 years, I have also worked as a Research Assistant for a faculty member at my alma mater, doing research on socio-emotional competence in elementary school aged children.

Research Interest:
HIV/STI prevention (but unfortunately do not have experience specific to this).

Schools:
1) UNC- Health Behaviors Health Education (submitted on 12/6/11- but my last recommendation letter did not come in until 1/11/12)
2) GWU- Health Promotion (submitted to SOPHAS on 1/10/12)
3) UAB- Health Behaviors (submitted to SOPHAS on 1/12/12)
4) University of South Carolina- HPEB (submitted to SOPHAS on 1/13/12)

SOPHAS has not verified my transcript yet, so nothing has been sent out. I have not heard from UNC.

Last edited:
In at Tulane! =) Applied like a week ago.

Which department did you apply to? I applied for the epidemiology program before the holidays (application confirmed by Tulane on Dec 20) and I still haven't heard anything...

Which department did you apply to? I applied for the epidemiology program before the holidays (application confirmed by Tulane on Dec 20) and I still haven't heard anything...

I am literally in the exact same situation. Congrats, mystal!

Just got accepted to EMD at Yale! App received 12/21, app complete 1/4!

Just got accepted to EMD at Yale! App received 12/21, app complete 1/4!

congrats, but..

uh oh...my app was complete on 1/4 as well and I haven't heard anything, and I live closer. Different department, but still. How did you find out?

Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences with a concentration in nutrition. They were really fast--maybe it's a small department? I imagine they would have more people to look at for epidemiology. Good luck!

Thanks, Mystal, and congrats on your acceptance! You're probably right. It will get here whenever it gets here and me getting impatient isn't going to make the admissions committee work any faster :)

Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences with a concentration in nutrition. They were really fast--maybe it's a small department? I imagine they would have more people to look at for epidemiology. Good luck!

Congrats! Are you leaning towards Tulane at all? I'm actually making a visit next week to make sure that's where I want to go.

epinerd, it took the Tropical Medicine department a little over a month on mine. And they didn't even let me know they had received it... I was really beginning to get freaked out. Maybe you'll hear something soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone submit their Emory app to SOPHAS on 1/10 and has not heard back about them receiving your app yet? I'm starting to get worried!

Hi every1! New member. Accepted in Hopkins MPH- Epi & Bios 4 Public Health and Clinical Research! I'm so excited! Yet to receive official offer. But called school and confirmed. Awaiting: Harvard, Columbia, Emory, Berkeley and Yale.
Accepted: JHO, Boston (w a Merit Award).
Rejected: None yet.
I'm more excited about Hopkins. Anyone got into Hopkins??
What will be the safest housing option 4 some1 w family in Baltimore

Did anyone submit their Emory app to SOPHAS on 1/10 and has not heard back about them receiving your app yet? I'm starting to get worried!

I did. Nothing heard from Emory yet, but that's because it hasn't been sent to them yet. SOPHAS is still calculating my GPA (I assume they are using an abacus). Does SOPHAS say that your GPA is done and the application has been sent?

congrats, but..

uh oh...my app was complete on 1/4 as well and I haven't heard anything, and I live closer. Different department, but still. How did you find out?

I got an email from the EMD department after emailing them and asking them about the status my application. Apparently each department is operating under their own timeline, that could be it!

Yikes- No need to worry. Emory gets close to 3k applications. Since the deadline for MPH was the 10th as well I would assume that your application is being processed with a few hundred others. I would worry if you don't hear anything by Feb but its only been 11 days after the final deadline, don't stress yourself out :)

Congrats! Are you leaning towards Tulane at all? I'm actually making a visit next week to make sure that's where I want to go.

epinerd, it took the Tropical Medicine department a little over a month on mine. And they didn't even let me know they had received it... I was really beginning to get freaked out. Maybe you'll hear something soon though.

Thank you! :) You'll have to let me know how your visit goes! I'm planning on visiting during their open house in the beginning of March. Not really leaning towards anything yet since I haven't heard back from other schools, but I am pretty excited about Tulane!

It took them almost two weeks to email me a confirmation, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Emory is one of the schools I applied to and have not received correspondence from them, though I got about 6 notifications from other schools that they received my application. I actually went to their site and theres a link on there that lets you check your status via OPUS.

Even though I didnt get an email from them, they DID get my application and created a OPUS account for me. I just had to do the legwork to get my info from the website.

GPA: 3.39
Major: Psychology
GRE: V: 690, Q:680 W:4.0
Schools: UMinn
Degree: MPH Epi

I've worked in a lab for a little over 3 years doing neuroimaging research. I've also worked in a hospital for the last 1.5 years.

I just checked the online status tool, and my admission was denied. I just emailed the department in an attempt to find out why, but for the moment I'm extremely disappointed. I've got some niche experience that I know the department is interested in, and I'm shocked that I was flat out rejected.

Congrats to all who have had good news last week!

I'm super pumped because I found out that I have an interview with UNC!! I am beyond excited to hopefully be one step closer to my dream school :) Interview's a week from now - I hope that means I'll find out acceptance soon after that!

Hey there Veggie monster, Good to hear that you have an interview with UNC. From what I've heard, an interview means most likely an acceptance. So I guess it's fingers crossed:xf: at least for now lol

What department did yo apply to. I am also looking forward to going to UNC (if I get $$$$) otherwise I will have to choose between Emory. I applied to the UNC -MCH

Finally posting on here because I got my first acceptance!! Emory BSHE!!! Can't wait to see some of you there!

It was super stressful waiting so here was my time line for everyone out there still waiting to hear back. Got an email from Emory saying the dept was reviewing my app 12/12, checked OPUS about 20 times a day lol didn't hear anything back so on 1/9 I emailed them. I didn't get into my first choice, global health, and they said that my application was forwarded to my second choice BSHE. I didn't get any emails from them about sending a new personal statement but got an email 1/12 that I was accepted to BSHE.

My stats:
GPA: 3.5
GRE: 510V, 600Q, 4W (never been a good standardized test taker!)
I've been out of school working for 2 1/2 yrs, lots of research undergrad in South Africa at an HIV clinic, working as an HIV counselor and tester for the past year.

Applied: Emory, Hopkins, BU, GW, USF
Accepted: Emory (BSHE)
Rejected: Emory (Global Health)
Waiting: Hopkins, BU, GW USF

Good luck to everyone!

Just got into Boston with merit award!

Applied: Emory, Hopkins, BU, GW, USF
Accepted: Emory (BSHE), BU
Rejected: Emory (Global Health)
Waiting: Hopkins, GW, USF

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering if you were notified through email or were sent a package.

I just got an email this afternoon, they said a package should be coming in the mail in the next few weeks.

Sorry for all the questions, but was it an email from the department or the school itself?

Not a problem! I think it was just from the public health school itself. I applied for International Health but I don't think they distinguish by department like Emory does.

Thanks for the info! I applied to HMP late Nov/early Dec and I was told that I would be hearing back this week, so I'm kind of freaking out :/

Hey there,
I'm wondering if many people applied to HSPH this year? I haven't seen much discussion about HSPH on the forum. I deferred my acceptance from 2011 to 2012 and will be starting there in September. Just wondering who else will be joining me!
Good luck with all the pending applications! I know the waiting game can be painful and all consuming....but it's almost over!
Cheers

I applied for the 80 credit MSPH but then realized that could be 4 years? Is this true?

Thank you!

Hey there,
I'm wondering if many people applied to HSPH this year? I haven't seen much discussion about HSPH on the forum. I deferred my acceptance from 2011 to 2012 and will be starting there in September. Just wondering who else will be joining me!
Good luck with all the pending applications! I know the waiting game can be painful and all consuming....but it's almost over!
Cheers

I am in the 80 credit SM program, which is only 2 years. I would assume that the MSPH is the same. 40 credits/year is the standard, assuming that you will be a full time student.

Good luck with the apps!

I applied for the 80 credit MSPH but then realized that could be 4 years? Is this true?

Thank you!

Okay, phew. I really hoped I was wrong. I was confused because most of the other programs are 40ish credits and claim to take 2 years.

I am in the 80 credit SM program, which is only 2 years. I would assume that the MSPH is the same. 40 credits/year is the standard, assuming that you will be a full time student.

Good luck with the apps!

Congratulations! Sorry if you've already posted this, but when was your application complete?

I submitted my application to UMinn on 30 Nov because 1st December is the application deadline for international students. For UMich, I applied before Christmas and received admission on 15 Jan I think.

Which schools did you apply to? Is it also UMinn?

After a 2 month long wait.. UMich accepted me :)

Congrat fall2012!!!

We are now in the same boat. I got admission to the Epidemiology at UMich. Which department did you apply to? Is UMich your first choice?

To me, I am still waiting for its funding result (not so hopeful anyway) before making any serious decision...

I just got an email acceptance to epi MPH program at GWU! For reference, SOPHAS mailed my application on Dec 20 and GWU confirmed on Jan 9. I think I'm still leaning towards Emory (mostly because of $$), but still... yay!

I actually just started lurking today (can't believe I didn't have this as a resource DURING the app process...could have helped me deal with sophas), but I want to join in the fun, seeing as how I just got my first acceptence! My applications were sent way late, on January 11.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Major: Rhetoric (any other humanities students out there?)
Gre: 160 Q (87%), 166 V (97%), 5.0 W
Work experience: 2 years full-time Americorps reproductive health educator in San Francisco, 2 years post-abortion hotline counselor, 1 year peer health educator at UC Berkeley, 2 years mentor for middle-school girls, summer internship at housing clinic
Applied: Columbia, UWash, BU, GW, Yale (all Social/Behavioral)
Accepted: GW - today!
Rejected: None so far.

I actually just started lurking today (can't believe I didn't have this as a resource DURING the app process...could have helped me deal with sophas), but I want to join in the fun, seeing as how I just got my first acceptence! My applications were sent way late, on January 11.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Major: Rhetoric (any other humanities students out there?)
Gre: 160 Q (87%), 166 V (97%), 5.0 W
Work experience: 2 years full-time Americorps reproductive health educator in San Francisco, 2 years post-abortion hotline counselor, 1 year peer health educator at UC Berkeley, 2 years mentor for middle-school girls, summer internship at housing clinic
Applied: Columbia, UWash, BU, GW, Yale (all Social/Behavioral)
Accepted: GW - today!
Rejected: None so far.

Congrats!! you sent your application on January 11? i submitted mine on the 8th..but still sophas has not calculated my GPA. may i ask when was your application sent out? thanks.

Congrats!! you sent your application on January 11? i submitted mine on the 8th..but still sophas has not calculated my GPA. may i ask when was your application sent out? thanks.

I e-submitted December 22, actually. SOPHAS got my app out on January 11. I freaked out and called them early in January, and the rep on the phone said that schools review your app as long as you e-submit before the deadline. Yale and Columbia confirmed as much. Good luck!

I e-submitted December 22, actually. SOPHAS got my app out on January 11. I freaked out and called them early in January, and the rep on the phone said that schools review your app as long as you e-submit before the deadline. Yale and Columbia confirmed as much. Good luck!

Thanks!!

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins? I applied for their MSPH in International Health and my application was completed 12/7 and I haven't heard anything...

Hey Guys,

I think this is weird but I have this feeling that I'm gonna be rejected from hopkins.
Reason: A friend of mine whom I submitted before as already gotten an acceptance and many others. Yeah I have score of 1230 which might be pretty lower than what they require. Truth is Hopkins (without funding) isn't my top choice. So I guess I'll just strike it out of ma head and forget about them.
I called last week and this week and they are still telling me same story that my application is still under review. Oh well :(

Hi DrRayden - Don't worry. I wrote Hopkins at the beginning of the month and they said all MPH applications are being put on the back burner due to Medical School applicant reviews. She said, ..."4 to 8 weeks sounds about right. The department is working on ScM admissions at the moment!".

Hey Guys,

I think this is weird but I have this feeling that I'm gonna be rejected from hopkins.
Reason: A friend of mine whom I submitted before as already gotten an acceptance and many others. Yeah I have score of 1230 which might be pretty lower than what they require. Truth is Hopkins (without funding) isn't my top choice. So I guess I'll just strike it out of ma head and forget about them.
I called last week and this week and they are still telling me same story that my application is still under review. Oh well :(

Thanks Drivers,
just wondering, how come my friends applications isn't on the back burner along with mine :D

Ha, seriously. Mine is apparently way back there... They said it was complete on 12/12 then somehow never had any of my transcripts! It was finally complete on 1/9.... I am counting down the days. I think I would much rather live other places than Baltimore though. It is a phenomenal school though so it would be hard to pass up with the right funding.

Thanks Drivers,
just wondering, how come my friends applications isn't on the back burner along with mine :D

Well, mine was complete on 12/3 so you see what I'm talking about. I'm almost gonna have to make a decision between Emory and UNC (soon).
I'm just curious about Hopkins (only being Human).

hehehehe. Lets see how it ends!
Sorry if you posted it before, but have you got any admits so far ( yeah I think you have but not so sure where and where)

Aww, shucks. Well the 8 week mark is coming up this weekend, maybe you should call them on Monday. Seems like a lot of people go that route, I'm more of an email kind of girl.

Have you gotten into more schools than Emory, so far?

I got into Emory - BSHE! Everyone says - You only need one good school. For what it's worth, that has not calmed my nerves, at all!

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am trying to get a feel for where people are. The only place I applied to was UNC's Health Behavior and Health Education program. I submitted my application on 12/13/11 and it was "complete" a few days later. I emailed the admissions lady last week and she informed me my "application was still under review and would be reviewed at the next admissions meeting at the end of this month (January)" and I should hear shortly thereafter. Is this just them beating around the bush? Do I have any hope? Has anyone else heard from UNC and if so, from UNC's HBHE program? I got into the University of Michigan last year and deferred due to cost so I am really hoping to go to UNC since I'm an NC resident and UNC undergraduate. The wait is torturing me! :eek: