Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those that successfully get decision from JHU: give tips on how to finagle them from the admissions representatives! I called them a few days back over other matters and they stone cold told me that "we don't do decision over the phone."

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am trying to get a feel for where people are. The only place I applied to was UNC's Health Behavior and Health Education program. I submitted my application on 12/13/11 and it was "complete" a few days later. I emailed the admissions lady last week and she informed me my "application was still under review and would be reviewed at the next admissions meeting at the end of this month (January)" and I should hear shortly thereafter. Is this just them beating around the bush? Do I have any hope? Has anyone else heard from UNC and if so, from UNC's HBHE program? I got into the University of Michigan last year and deferred due to cost so I am really hoping to go to UNC since I'm an NC resident and UNC undergraduate. The wait is torturing me! :eek:

I just recently got rejected from the HBHE program and submitted my app on the same day that you did. So they're probably taking you in consideration for it :)

Thanks for sharing that, brings my spirits up:)

Mind sharing your stats?

I just recently got rejected from the HBHE program and submitted my app on the same day that you did. So they're probably taking you in consideration for it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading this forum for years, and finally decided to apply last fall, so this is my first post.

GRE: 1300, 4.5 W
GPA: 3.9 in the humanities
Experience: Three years in health education, one year in public health research

SOPHAS e-submitted on Nov. 26

Applied: UNC (MCH), Emory (Global), UCLA (CHS), Berkeley (MCH), Minnesota (MCH)
Rejected:
Accepted:
Waitlisted:

I was recently offered an interview with UNC, which is, all other things being equal, my top choice.

Now I can feel the Tempo rising again
@ Drivers: I have only gotten a decision from Emory (Global Health) Still awaiting Columbia, Berkeley, UNC and UCLA. We seem to have some school in common. You can also see, Etude was offered interview from UNC MCH, thats also the same department I applied to. hhhhmm
I'm sure that if not for your ish with your documents and JHU you should have heard from them.
The next few days are going to be full of anxiety and ......

I am sorry to hear about that! I appreciate you sharing this info though. It does give me a little more hope.

My GRE and GPA stats are definitely on the lower side of the spectrum.

GPA 3.34 B.A. in International Studies, minor in Medical Anthropology at UNC-CH
GRE 520 (V) 600 (Q) 4.0 (Writing)

Have been working at Planned Parenthood for a little over a year. I work directly with patients offering counseling, education, testing, etc.

Have also been volunteering with a professor at UNC since July 2011 working on a cervical cancer awareness initiative.

All in all I'd say my experience is minimal, though I did have some internships in undergrad that were directly related to PH. I also took a couple of PH classes with MPH students and professors.

Fingers crossed!

I've been on here for quite a while so it's nice to have something to post! :)

Stats:
GPA: 3.0 :scared:, but avg 3.6 my last 2 years of undergrad :D
GRE: 153 Verbal 154 Quant 4.5 Writing
Major: Psychology, Pre-Health

Applied: U of M, Emory, Drexel, UIC, UMinn, U Pitt, UTHouston, GWU, UAB
Accepted: Emory (Health Policy & Management), Drexel (Health Policy & Management), U of M (Invited to interview for Health Policy & Management :xf:)
Waiting: UIC, UMinn, U Pitt, UTHouston, GWU, UAB

I'm excited, I just got the acceptance notifications today, including a personal call from Emory's HPM department.

GRE: 650 V, 640 Q, 4.0 W
GPA: 3.73 (Biology B.A.) - graduating in May
Experience: One summer volunteering in pharmacy at hospital, assistant at optometrist's office, currently have an internship at State Health Dept. (only PH related thing)

Applied: UNT, UT-San Antonio, Texas A&M, Illinois at Chicago, Tulane (all Epidemiology)
Accepted: UNT, Tulane
Rejected: none yet.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this board you've all been so helpful!

Hi all,
I'm happy to report I just got my first acceptance at Tulane for Epi. I am in shock but so glad to have at least an option for the fall. Now the freaking out about housing, jobs, etc begins. Anyone have any advice/things you wish you had known about either Tulane or making this decision in general?

I finally have something to report!

Stats:
GPA: 3.7
GRE: V650 Q720 W5.0
major: International Studies

Experience:
1 month volunteering at an HIV/AIDS orphanage in Vietnam
3 months volunteering at a childrens center in Argentina
Thesis written on AIDS orphans

Applied: Emory, Columbia, GW, BU, Yale
Accepted: Emory (global health)!, George Washington
Waiting: Columbia, BU, Yale
Rejected

I submitted Yale and Columbia on 11/27, SOPHAS sent them on 12/20
I submitted Emory, BU and GW on 12/26, SOPHAS sent them on 12/28
I received an email that my applications were received between January 4-11 (stupid holiday season!)

I heard from Emory on Jan 17th (5 days after they sent me the email that they received my app and gave me access to OPUS...crazy fast turn around), and I heard from GW yesterday.

Hi all,
I'm happy to report I just got my first acceptance at Tulane for Epi. I am in shock but so glad to have at least an option for the fall. Now the freaking out about housing, jobs, etc begins. Anyone have any advice/things you wish you had known about either Tulane or making this decision in general?

Congratulations!

Hi all,

See if you're able to get some contact info for current students in your department...usually if you ask, the school will get you in touch with someone. This is a great way to ask q's about what you want to know!

Congrats!

I was accepted into the Department of Health Policy and Management at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health today! It was the only school I applied to and I am so excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Congrats! I was accepted for Parasitology/Tropical Medicine and am actually visiting the campus Friday. I plan on posting some thoughts once I get back.

I was accepted into the Department of Health Policy and Management at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health today! It was the only school I applied to and I am so excited!!!

Congrats! Out of curiosity, what was your GPA/GRE? I applied to HPM too, but I couldn't find any info on class profile #'s.

Hey-- figured I'd finally post instead of stalking:

GPA: 3.75
GRE: V: 580, QR: 780, Writing: 4.5
Undergrad Majors: Economics and Public Health
Applied: BU, Emory, Michigan, Minnesota, Yale, UCLA, Harvard
Accepted: Emory(EPI), Michigan(EPI), Yale(Biostats)
Rejections: None (so far!)
Straight from Undergrad.

Ahh! Decisions to make!

Congrats! That's great!!! I'm guessing you've applied to the Masters program at Yale? I'm hoping/waiting on a PhD app decision from Yale and I haven't yet heard any buzz about that on any message board...

Anyone else hear back from the Yale Graduate School regarding any public health programs?

GPA and GRE scores were not great...I go to Wake Forest and they actually deflate grades to an extent. My GPA was ~3.2. I am a communication major with a concentration in communication science and a double minor in chemistry and health policy & administration. My GRE was like 670 and 540 (opps)...I think (if converted correctly) and my analytical writing was a 5. My major gpa was 3.8 and hpa minor was a 3.7...but my experience is what helped me. I am a project manager at Wake Forest Baptist Health and had a summer internship at WFBH, too...hopefully that helps! (I am a NC resident...so that may have helped a little)...good luck!

Hey guys,

So I got a mail from UNC MCH department asking if had submitted a financial certificate ( which I did). I replied the email but I was worried and so i decided to call to make sure that everything was ok. After this was confirmed, the lady I spoke with told me that a student from the department was going to call me to schedule an interview with me.
I also used the opportunity to enquire about funding/TA's/RA's for IMG's and she said NO.
Well I think I know where I'm gonna finally end up - EMORY.
I tot I should share my experience with you guys :)

DrRayden, would you mind elaborating on the "financial certificate" for UNC? I am now wondering whether I have neglected to submit something. My understanding was that applicants had to complete the FAFSA by March 1st to be considered for loans, grants, etc., but that there was no separate financial aid application for the MCH department. Please correct me if I am wrong!

The FAFSA is for American applicants, international applicants have other financial documents they have to submit.

Yeah Etude, JMM051 has answered your question :). Hope it helps!

Ah, I see! Thank you both for explaining, and congratulations on your interview, DrRayden, even if you do decide to go with Emory in the end.

Heard from NYU today and was accepted into the Community and International Health MPH program! With a $9,000 scholarship :clap:

Applied: BU, Columbia, GW, UPitt, Uconn, NYU, Brown, Drexel, Harvard, Dartmouth, New York Medical College

Accepted: BU, UPitt, NYU, Drexel, Dartmouth, New York Medical College

Rejected: none so far.

Waiting on the rest..

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I think this is weird but I have this feeling that I'm gonna be rejected from hopkins.
Reason: A friend of mine whom I submitted before as already gotten an acceptance and many others. Yeah I have score of 1230 which might be pretty lower than what they require. Truth is Hopkins (without funding) isn't my top choice. So I guess I'll just strike it out of ma head and forget about them.
I called last week and this week and they are still telling me same story that my application is still under review. Oh well :(
It seems that each dept/program at Hopkins is on its own admissions schedule so don't bother comparing yourself to others. I submitted my application for Hopkins much earlier than you (10/20) and still haven't heard back. After asking the Biostats dept this week, they said I would likely hear in the next week or so about the ScM program.

Hey there,

I get your point. But I applied to the MPH program hoping to concentrate in reproductive health ish. But you see, the MPH department is a single department and all the folks I know to a large extent are MPH applicants. That's just my worry. *sigh*

Hey guys,

So here's what's new.

I woke up this morning to a mail from UNC Admissions committee which read

"Dear DrRayden :)

The Admissions Committee of the Department of Maternal and Child Health at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health has reviewed your application and is extending an invitation to you for an applicant interview. We believe that personal interaction between members of our department (students and faculty) with potential students is quite important. It helps us to understand your needs and expectations, and provides you with an opportunity to ask questions to determine if this is the right program for you.

We realize that you will probably not be able to visit Chapel Hill, NC in person for the interview. So, please email me,........., Application Coordinator, ....... with your first and second choice of dates and times that you will be available to interview with a UNC faculty member over the telephone. When you respond, please let me know what the best telephone number is to reach you for the call, including all country codes. The possible interview times are between 10am – 5pm EST and the possible interview dates are:

Monday, February 6th
Friday, February 10th
Monday, February 13th
Friday, February 17th
Monday, February 20th

If you are able to interview in person, please let me know. The possible interview dates are the same for telephone interviews and in-person interviews.

Best,"
THE END:whoa:

Heard from NYU today and was accepted into the Community and International Health MPH program! With a $9,000 scholarship :clap:

Applied: BU, Columbia, GW, UPitt, Uconn, NYU, Brown, Drexel, Harvard, Dartmouth, New York Medical College

Accepted: BU, UPitt, NYU, Drexel, Dartmouth, New York Medical College

Rejected: none so far.

Waiting on the rest..
MPHApplicant902 Congrats! Where did it say you received scholarship from NYU?? I was told I should be hearing back soon.. wondering if they give scholarship information online or only through formal letter mail!

Thanks!

MPHApplicant902 Congrats! Where did it say you received scholarship from NYU?? I was told I should be hearing back soon.. wondering if they give scholarship information online or only through formal letter mail!

Thanks!

Thanks! :) I received an email that told me to log onto my NYU application. Once I logged on, there was a link that said "your decision is now available". When I clicked the link, it showed the formal letter and my award was included. NYU only sends email notifications, you will not get anything in the mail regarding your decision.

NYU requires a fast turn around though.. they want me to decide by 2/16/!! ahh

I'm still waiting for other schools so I'm not sure what to do... what track did you apply to? Good luck! :xf:

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am trying to get a feel for where people are. The only place I applied to was UNC's Health Behavior and Health Education program. I submitted my application on 12/13/11 and it was "complete" a few days later. I emailed the admissions lady last week and she informed me my "application was still under review and would be reviewed at the next admissions meeting at the end of this month (January)" and I should hear shortly thereafter. Is this just them beating around the bush? Do I have any hope? Has anyone else heard from UNC and if so, from UNC's HBHE program? I got into the University of Michigan last year and deferred due to cost so I am really hoping to go to UNC since I'm an NC resident and UNC undergraduate. The wait is torturing me! :eek:

I'm still waiting on UNC HBHE as well- I was told I'd have an answer sometime between now and April...:scared:

Thanks! :) I received an email that told me to log onto my NYU application. Once I logged on, there was a link that said "your decision is now available". When I clicked the link, it showed the formal letter and my award was included. NYU only sends email notifications, you will not get anything in the mail regarding your decision.

NYU requires a fast turn around though.. they want me to decide by 2/16/!! ahh

I'm still waiting for other schools so I'm not sure what to do... what track did you apply to? Good luck! :xf:
Ahhh I missed it in my e-mail; I was accepted and got a similar letter like you!! haha
I have the same date on my letter... I haven't heard from majority of my schools so hopefully they will allow extensions! I applied for the Community and International track. Which did you apply to?

Hello Guys,
It's me once again.:) I hate to be the bearer of news but I just can't help it.:idea:

Columbia has started giving out decisions. Someone posted on the gradcafe forum that s/he was waitlisted even though it's for PhD program. ;)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on UNC HBHE as well- I was told I'd have an answer sometime between now and April...:scared:

Between now and April?! Geez. That's ridiculous. I hope for both of us it's sooner than that. Good luck!

Per the link you provided, I requested a deferral by submitting a letter/statement to the admissions office. I am in the Epi department (not Global Health & Population), so the SM80 program does consider deferrals on a a case by case basis. My reasons for requesting the deferral were quite valid (I think), so the department approved my request.

How did you defer your matriculation? The HSPH website reads that deferral is not an option for that particular program.

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/adminis...cation-information/faqs/defer-enrollment.html

In at Yale - Health Management! Anyone else hear back yet?

I just got into the MPH program of Chronic Disease Epidemiology at Yale a few minutes ago.
Congrats! I applied for Chronic Disease Epi too and my application is still under review (probably a bad sign since I submitted in early Nov). Would you mind sharing your stats? thanks

Woohoo! Accepted to Michigan SPH's Environmental Health Sciences program. This was one of my top choices due to their excellence in EHS. I am much more relaxed now that I have my first decision and acceptance!

Experience: Undergraduate, not yet graduated.
GPA: 3.85
GRE: 160V, 164Q (~1400)
Major in Bio, minors in Chem and History.
Goal: MPH EHS at every school, unless otherwise indicated below.

Applied:
First batch (12/13) - Harvard (ScM), Columbia, UCLA, Berkeley (MS)
Second batch (1/11) - Michigan, Emory (Joint Epi/EHS), Yale, BU
Accepted: Michigan (1/27)
Rejected:

Last edited:
Congrats! I applied for Chronic Disease Epi too and my application is still under review (probably a bad sign since I submitted in early Nov). Would you mind sharing your stats? thanks
GPA: 3.70
GRE: 770V, 800Q, 3.5AW (Unfortunately)
Undergrad Major in Biology and MA in Biomedical Informatics
Experience: no direct experience in public health but an relevant publication

Applied: Yale (Chronic Disease Epi MPH), Columbia (Epi MPH), UC Berkeley (Epi/Biostat MPH), Harvard (Epi 80-credit SM), JHU (Epi ScM), UCLA (Epi MS), U Pittsburgh (Epi MS and Human Genetics MS)
Accepted: U Pittsburgh (Human Genetics MS), Yale (Chronic Disease Epi MPH)
Rejected:
Waiting: the rest

Last edited:
In at Yale- Social and Behavioral Sciences and Global Health. Just waiting on Emory BSHE now!!!

Anyone know the timeline for Brown admissions to the epi masters program? Also- does anyone have any idea why this program isn't accredited?

Hey guys,

To all who applied for the MSPH programs at Hopkins, I applied for the MSPH at the Dept of International Health on 12/16 and received an online acceptance on 1/26. You can definitely call and check - I did about four days before the decision came up online.

True this may be different for different departments, so I wouldn't worry.

Hey guys,

So here's what's new.

I woke up this morning to a mail from UNC Admissions committee which read

"Dear DrRayden :)

The Admissions Committee of the Department of Maternal and Child Health at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health has reviewed your application and is extending an invitation to you for an applicant interview. We believe that personal interaction between members of our department (students and faculty) with potential students is quite important. It helps us to understand your needs and expectations, and provides you with an opportunity to ask questions to determine if this is the right program for you.

Congrats DrRayden!
Would you happen to know if all MCH applicants are offered this applicant interview? Or just selected applicants?

Hey Mikan,

I think it was basically sent to those who they intend offering admissions to.

I'm an IMG and the sad part is they say they don't offer IMG's scholarships or RA. :(

I'm really at a loss at this point.

Yale people - when was your app complete and how did you find out about your acceptance?

Hi y'all! Just wanted to join since I've been looking at this forum for awhile. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.40
GRE: V: 590 Q: 660 W: 4.0

Applying for MPH or ScM in Epidemiology starting fall 2012. Graduating this spring with a BSPH in Public Health and Cell & Molecular Biology. Can't decide where to go! Submitted SOPHAS in mid-October, it was considered complete at the beginning of December.

Applied: Tulane, Emory, Yale, UAB
Accepted: Tulane, Emory

Good luck!