Applied late! Freaking out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninerfan36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post here and it is because I think I applied too late to medical school. I want to apply for the Fall class of 2011, but I only submitted my application to AMCAS in mid-September. I graduated college in May and I had originally planned to take 2 years off before med school, but changed my mind and now I am scrambling. AMCAS says my application is in line and "ready for review" but it has been saying that since September 15th.

Now deadlines are fast approaching (the first of which is UC Davis's secondary application deadline on October 1st!) and I am freaking out because I am not receiving many secondaries until my application gets verified by AMCAS. I have my letters of recommendation and my scores are competitive (GPA: 3.93, MCAT:37) but none of that will matter if I miss these deadlines!

What should I do???? Is my application considered 'submitted to AMCAS' if it is still under review? How do I get secondaries if AMCAS is going to take 4-6 weeks to process my applications? There are also AMCAS deadlines on Oct 15th and Nov 1st and I'm worried I might miss those too! Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine, don't worry. I finished most of my secondaries around October-November and I got in, although I had to wait until May to hear back. You might have a harder time but you'll get into somewhere you will be happy with.

I agree with bomgd3. The deadlines for AMCAS are for submitting it, not having it verified. You might want to think about pre-writing your secondary essays for a faster turn around time once you start getting secondary applications, but other than that, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, don't worry. I finished most of my secondaries around October-November and I got in, although I had to wait until May to hear back. You might have a harder time but you'll get into somewhere you will be happy with.

When did you do your interviews? You had to wait until May for your acceptance/rejection decisions? Shouldn't those come soon after interviews? Also, my problem is that I am not receiving secondaries until AMCAS verifies my application and they are taking until past the deadline to do it!

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you right now. I submitted the same day probably but my damn school is taking forever to send a transcript. I'm trying not to freak out too much but I know it's hard.

UC Davis (which I also applied to)'s PRIMARY is due by Oct 1st, the secondary isn't due till Dec 18th. At least, that's according to MRSA. I'm applying to a lot of schools (25) and the earliest deadline for secondaries is november 15th.
My application isn't varified yet but I've gotten secondaries from columbia, Johns Hopkins and George Washington. THey don't screen so as soon as they know you're applying, they send them out. Try not to stress out too much!

I wouldn't apply to GW if I were you. It's too expensive, they don't necessarily give interviews to people with high stats, and they have too many applicants. Also, have you applied to Wash U? They have super fast turnaround, easy essays, and they love applicants with high scores. It's an incredible school in a great city.

UC Davis (which I also applied to)'s PRIMARY is due by Oct 1st, the secondary isn't due till Dec 18th. At least, that's according to MRSA.

oh, taking admissions advice from the local S. aureus population now, are we? :laugh:

oh, taking admissions advice from the local S. aureus population now, are we? :laugh:

:laugh: NOt even in medical school yet and I"m thinking about hospital infections. Maybe asking them isn't such a horrible idea! Little buggers spend more time in hospitals than most. ;)

***MSAR... darn dislexia.