Apply as MD/PhD with a PhD already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bearintraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound ridiculous to some, but I'm in a bit of a unique scenario...

I currently live in the US and work as a postdoctoral fellow. I very much want to attend a US MD program, but a big issue exists regarding finances. Since I'm not a resident, I can't apply for federal loans, and I am unable to secure enough funds from a bank/loan in Canada to cover all my expenses and tuition.

SO, some people have suggested that I apply for a MD/PhD program. I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to how an admissions committee would see someone with a PhD already, applying to their MD/PhD program. I know that I need to verify which schools accept international students (in process), but I'm more curious as to whether they would consider me at all. I have been thinking that I could easily, and would be willing to, do a complementary PhD to my existing one (Genetics/Mol Biol) in either Bioinformatics or Neuroscience (I'm interested in neurology and/or neurosurgery).

Thoughts? Posting both here and Pre-med incase that is a better place for this type of question.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea but that is very interesting. @gyngyn how would you react to that app coming across your desk?

MD + PhD in bioinformatics... lord have mercy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.