Apply before or after masters thesis is complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopfeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied while writing up my master's thesis, and it seemed to be fine? (I submitted my secondaries July and submitted my thesis the first week of August). I basically just went to interviews and told them I passed my oral examination, it was a good "catch up on anything new that's happened."

Thank you for the reply. I am beginning a two-year masters program. I wanted to apply after I completed the first year of the program. I will be working on my thesis the summer that I am applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. I was finishing up my MS before starting and just barely made it in time to start (2 wks) due to the setbacks that inherently occur with research and thesis writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it the kind of program where you'll definitely finish in 2 years unless something bizarre happens? Will you graduate before June 1st of your matriculation year?

If so, you'll be fine applying during the last year of your MS. If it's a thesis based program where end date is more flexible...be careful. MD/PhD acceptance will likely be contingent on completing your MS on time. That was the case for me, and I nearly drove myself insane trying to finish my MS thesis/defense before matriculation.

I think you should also consider how much research you will get done after 1 vs 2 years of masters. If you focus on your masters for 2 years you could have enough data then stay on as a research assistant while you apply and potentially prepare a manuscript or present at conferences. I did that and my papers were definitely a factor in my invites. The extra year will also help you develop further professionally and as an independent scientist, giving you more material for your essays. Rushing to apply without significant research experience will not benefit you. However if you feel you already have enough experience then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app