Apply DO this cycle, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lsegura83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, please help with your thoughts.

I did not realize that I still have till March 1st 2013 to submit my AACOMAS app for primaries. Originally I was going to apply in 2014. But since I have enough credits to graduate, I am thinking of submitting everything by this coming week. My transcripts are already mailed to AACOMAS, Letters a recc are prepared and so is my personal statement, however, I want to consult on here and get a few thoughts before I pay for applications next week. What do you all think? The following are my stats from a different thread which I have copy and pasted. At the bottom I have listed the schools MCATS and deadlines

Male 29 years old
Hispanic/Latino URM
from small unknown university
Mcat 24p 9PS, 6VR, 9BS
Both s&c(GPA) 3.90
Father, and I work (tutor) and odd jobs
High school drop out, GED 6 years ago.
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
3 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and San Antonio) with Poster presentations
4 years as an X-ray technologist
Non medical volunteering [mostly Church (CCD) and a few fund raisers]
Tutor for 1.5 years at my university
Musician
MD shadowing (150 hours)
Clinic volunteer 200 hours

SCHOOL............MCAT AVG............Primary deadline.........Sec. deadline

CUSOM.................?(new)....................3/1 .......................... 4/15
ACOM....................?(new) ..................3/1.............................4/15
ATSU-SOMA............ 24......................3/1..............................None
MU-COM...................?(new).................3/1..............................4/1
PNWU-COM...............26......................3/15............................4/1
WCU-COM.................26......................3/15............................4/15
LMV-DCOM...............24.......................3/15............................4/1
RVU-COM..................27.......................3/15...........................4/1
TUCOM-CA................29.......................3/15...........................4/15
LECOMsh...................24........................4/1............................4/1
LECOMbrad................28..........................4/1...........................4/1
TouroCOM-NY............27.........................4/1............................4/21
TUN COM..................28..........................4/1............................5/1

Im not posting School GPAs because my GPA is above D.O. school averages.

Let me know what you all think, and be harsh if you like, i know relatively little about DO schools. But I have seen many D.O.s work in my region and rarely are there family practitioners, most are Derma, Anest. Nep, alot of Orthopedics, alot of OBGYNs, neuromuscular, Opthalmology etc. This is why I am excited to apply soon, The obvious draw back is that i am out of state, and Texas schools tuition do not surpass 18 or 19k a year. Think I will get interviews and or room for acceptances. My biggest fear is that schools are already filled up and perhaps people with 30's on their mcat are trying to fill in last minute spots.Please let me know wuuuuuzzzuuppp... lol. I cant believe this dream is so near!!!!

Thanks SDN!!!! I never had family mentors or guides, but SDN has been awesome and a great place to learn a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it is not advisable to apply this cycle. Its ridiculously late, especially with an MCAT that low. I would concentrate on next cycle. If you apply early with your current stats, you will probably get accepted next cycle. I would actually study and retake the MCAT this summer. Everything else is fine.

I would predict your chances of being accepted into the C/O 2017 is approximately 0%. Next cycle would be MUCH better.

Hey Osteoclast, even as a URM? I was looking at these DO medical schools percentages of hispanics matriculating and most are 0% to 1%. According to AAMC stats (MD ), with regards to my MCAT and GPA, i have a 70% if I apply with time. This one here however is DO. Although the DO and MD outcomes are no different after the degree, it is significantly easier to get into DO schools. With this in mind would you retract that 0% chance??? Be honest, cuase this is gonna cost me a crap load of money if I do decide to submit secondaries and perhaps even fly out for interviews.

Thanks for the input man, i really appreciate that. Anyone else reading this, let me know what you all think, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason I think your chances are so bleak are because of how late it is. If you were complete this week, yeah maybe you could snag an interview at a new school. Thing is, you wont be complete this week. AACOMAS has to verify your primary, then schools have to send secondaries (which you could pre write) then they have to review your app for an interview. I just think its too late.

I know URM has a big advantage in the MD world and I'm sure it has a similar effect in the DO world. However, with how late it is, and how few spots there are left at schools, people with higher stats are going to be accepted.

For example, look at me. I had a 26 3.7/4.0. I was accepted to AZCOM in September, i applied through AACOMAS on June 5th. If you check in the thread, people who applied later in the season with BETTER stats than me are getting pre-interview holds now. Competition just increases the later you get.

I would save all of that money for a MUCH better chance to attend a school you would absolutely love for the 2014 cycle instead of just trying to get into ANY school this late.

Apply. You def. have a chance. Look into Touro-COM, they love URM. I would not go to a new DO school. Your MCAT science scores are not bad, and being a URM no one will hold the verbal against you.
You can also get into plenty of MD schools with your stats if you apply next cycle. I know many URMs that have been accepted at MD schools with stats like yours (and yes, they too, had an MCAT lower than 27).

Either way, if you have the money apply to the established DO schools if you can this cycle and see what happens! It is not too late. People drop their acceptances for other schools all the time. Just see what happens and be optimistic!

...Ost3oclast makes an excellent point.
if you can wait a year and apply for next cycle to get into better schools, do it.
if you can't wait, apply now to around three schools and see what happens.

The only reason I think your chances are so bleak are because of how late it is. If you were complete this week, yeah maybe you could snag an interview at a new school. Thing is, you wont be complete this week. AACOMAS has to verify your primary, then schools have to send secondaries (which you could pre write) then they have to review your app for an interview. I just think its too late.

I know URM has a big advantage in the MD world and I'm sure it has a similar effect in the DO world. However, with how late it is, and how few spots there are left at schools, people with higher stats are going to be accepted.

For example, look at me. I had a 26 3.7/4.0. I was accepted to AZCOM in September, i applied through AACOMAS on June 5th. If you check in the thread, people who applied later in the season with BETTER stats than me are getting pre-interview holds now. Competition just increases the later you get.

I would save all of that money for a MUCH better chance to attend a school you would absolutely love for the 2014 cycle instead of just trying to get into ANY school this late.

Hey Osteoclast, even as a URM? I was looking at these DO medical schools percentages of hispanics matriculating and most are 0% to 1%. According to AAMC stats (MD ), with regards to my MCAT and GPA, i have a 70% if I apply with time. This one here however is DO. Although the DO and MD outcomes are no different after the degree, it is significantly easier to get into DO schools. With this in mind would you retract that 0% chance??? Be honest, cuase this is gonna cost me a crap load of money if I do decide to submit secondaries and perhaps even fly out for interviews.

Thanks for the input man, i really appreciate that. Anyone else reading this, let me know what you all think, thank you.

Give me the money instead. I'll put it to better use than an application this late. You have 0% chance. Being a URM doesn't help you with DO schools.

Give me the money instead. I'll put it to better use than an application this late. You have 0% chance. Being a URM doesn't help you with DO schools.

Really... These data say otherwise and especially for AA.

AACOM Data on Averages for Matriculation by Race 2011

Data posted as cGPA | sGPA | MCAT.
Click on this text for the source document.

White: 3.50 | 3.38 | 26.52

Asian: 3.45 | 3.33 | 27.11

Hispanic/Latino: 3.45 | 3.33 | 25.30

Multiple Races (No Hispanic in the calculation): 3.44 | 3.28 | 26.37

Black/African-American: 3.32 | 3.14 | 22.31

Foreign: 3.46 | 3.41 | 28.35

Native American: 3.52 | 3.37 | 25.33

Your MCAT is too low to apply this late. Don't waste money...retake MCAT

Seeing as MedPR actually is a URM who applied to both MD and DO schools, I would listen to him

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I did not realize that I still have till March 1st 2013 to submit my AACOMAS app for primaries. Originally I was going to apply in 2014. But since I have enough credits to graduate, I am thinking of submitting everything by this coming week. My transcripts are already mailed to AACOMAS, Letters a recc are prepared and so is my personal statement, however, I want to consult on here and get a few thoughts before I pay for applications next week. What do you all think? The following are my stats from a different thread which I have copy and pasted. At the bottom I have listed the schools MCATS and deadlines

Male 29 years old
Hispanic/Latino URM
Mcat 24p 9PS, 6VR, 9BS
Both s&c(GPA) 3.90
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
3 summer research at medical schools (Mayo and San Antonio) with Poster presentations
Musician
MD shadowing (150 hours)

CUSOM.................?(new)....................3/1 .......................... 4/15
ACOM....................?(new) ..................3/1.............................4/15
ATSU-SOMA............ 24......................3/1..............................None
MU-COM...................?(new).................3/1..............................4/1
PNWU-COM...............26......................3/15............................4/1
WCU-COM.................26......................3/15............................4/15
LMV-DCOM...............24.......................3/15............................4/1
RVU-COM..................27.......................3/15...........................4/1
TUCOM-CA................29.......................3/15...........................4/15
LECOMsh...................24........................4/1............................4/1
LECOMbrad................28..........................4/1...........................4/1
TouroCOM-NY............27.........................4/1............................4/21
TUN COM..................28..........................4/1............................5/1

Let me know what you all think, and be harsh if you like, i know relatively little about DO schools. But I have seen many D.O.s work in my region and rarely are there family practitioners, most are Derma, Anest. Nep, alot of Orthopedics, alot of OBGYNs, neuromuscular, Opthalmology etc. This is why I am excited to apply soon, The obvious draw back is that i am out of state, and Texas schools tuition do not surpass 18 or 19k a year. Think I will get interviews and or room for acceptances. My biggest fear is that schools are already filled up and perhaps people with 30's on their mcat are trying to fill in last minute spots.Please let me know wuuuuuzzzuuppp... lol. I cant believe this dream is so near!!!!

Thanks SDN!!!! I never had family mentors or guides, but SDN has been awesome and a great place to learn a lot!

There's already plenty of good advice on here. I just wanted to clarify that some of those MCAT scores seem off. I know SOMA for example has a 27 average

I'd only apply to a couple of schools (save your money otherwise) and really get ready to apply next cycle because chances for this cycle are getting slimmer by the minute. Plus do you really want to throw your whole application together in a day or two?

By this cycle do you mean applying this June? If so, your chances are good. If you mean applying for the class of 2017 you chances are not good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the MCAT. With a solid score you will set yourself up nicely for next app season. If you are done with school now then dedicate the next 3 or 4 months to some serious study and practice to replace that 24.

-Do not waste your money and apply now
-Do not waste your 3.9 on a measly 24, this demonstrates probable grade inflation

If you score decently on the MCAT and apply early next year you will probably snag a pretty good acceptance

Thinking about it, I take back what I said. Don't even waste your time or money this cycle.

I guess I should've been more clear. Relative to MD schools, URM is not helpful in applying to DO. You'll note that in the OP a reference was made to the URM stats as published by the AAMC. You can't use those numbers to draw conclusions about DO applications.

Thanks everybody. With the input I have received, i will go ahead and just wait 4 months and apply this June. Probably wont retake mcat. too laazzzy.

Thanks everybody. With the input I have received, i will go ahead and just wait 4 months and apply this June. Probably wont retake mcat. too laazzzy.

Retake the MCAT, get a 30, go to almost any mid-tier MD school you want.

If you have the money, I'd apply to a handful of places and see what happens. Being 29 with kids and a family, I'd imagine you'd want to get started as soon as possible even if that means going to a mid/low-tier DO school (if that's not the case disregard what I say). A few hundred would be worth it to me for even a slim chance of being a year ahead. You could always apply again in June, and having done it once, at least you'd have the experience. I would send everything like today though.

Also, you seriously need to retake the MCAT. With a 27+ you'd have your pick of DO schools and with a 30, you'd basically be able to get into most average MD schools. Its worth it to try, because ultimately whatever decision you make will determine where you go for the next four years and might even affect you after that.

Last edited:
If you have the money, I'd apply to a handful of places and see what happens. Being 29 with kids and a family, I'd imagine you'd want to get started as soon as possible even if that means going to a mid/low-tier DO school (if that's not the case disregard what I say). A few hundred would be worth it to me for even a slim chance of being a year ahead. You could always apply again in June, and having done it once, at least you'd have the experience. I would send everything like today though.

Also, you seriously need to retake the MCAT. With a 27+ you'd have your pick of DO schools and with a 30, you'd basically be able to get into most average MD schools. Its worth it to try, because ultimately whatever decision you make will determine where you go for the next four years and might even affect you after that.

Yes, thanks. the application is complete, I am just waiting for AACOMAS to receive my transcript. I am still reviewing my Personal statement and wont submit until the middle of this week. I expect them to receive my transcript by the end of the week,
I've narrowed it down to 5 schools.
ACOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
WCU-COM

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll be investing about $600 for primaries and perhaps secondaries.

Retake the MCAT, get a 30, go to almost any mid-tier MD school you want.

This. Nothing wrong with DO school, but nothing wrong with MD either. You have a great chance if you study for a few months.

Male 29 years old
Hispanic/Latino URM
Mcat 24p 9PS, 6VR, 9BS
Both s&c(GPA) 3.90
21 ACT 3 years ago.
Graduate summer of 2014

ECS
Musician
MD shadowing (150 hours)

These averages are way off.

I strongly suggest not applying. WAY too late in the cycle. Just because the deadlines are Feb/March/April, doesn't mean they even have spots open at this point. Honestly, most people think applying in November is borderline too late... but February?? It's just a waste of money. Really. Apply in June and you'll have a good shot. But this late in the cycle you need to be realistic and not get your hopes up.
Good luck to you!

If you're dead set on applying this cycle then take out WCU unless you have strong connections to Mississippi/the Gulf area, they have a high level regional bias.

I wouldn't apply now if I were you though, too much risk to waste the money. Retake the MCAT, do better, apply next cycle (which is not far away) with a stronger app.

I did not take heed to some of your warnings SDN. Consequently, I got acceptances!!!

Thanks to all!!

I dont want to tell you because I've recently posted some stuff about my past which is not really pretty. But I will say that I am in an inaugural class. So I applied at WCU-COM, ACOM, and MU-COM and all gave me quick secondary requests, interviews and turn arounds.

This should give you an idea on where to apply. Also, careful with regards to what you post on here! I promise and guarantee that they are watching! I am not saying you said anything bad, but they warned us people have been kicked out after being accepted for lacking prudence.

ACOM then, and the ADCOMs can do something better with their time than stalk SDN such as installing a breathalyzer into their dean's car.

Also congrats on the acceptance, but lets be very honest here, you lucked out. You're an outlier and while that is good for you, it should in no way be generalized as something that will occur frequently.
This not to mention that had you waited and applied this year you may have ended up in schools that are considered more prestigious and respectable.

Also congrats on the acceptance, but lets be very honest here, you lucked out. You're an outlier and while that is good for you, it should in no way be generalized as something that will occur frequently.
This not to mention that had you waited and applied this year you may have ended up in schools that are considered more prestigious and respectable.

Especially for older applicants a year can make a world of difference. Sorry if people's decisions aren't up to your prestigious and respectable expectations.

Congratulations OP. I'm very happy it worked out for you.

lol opie you said you wouldn't say what school but your context makes it hilariously obvious.

adcoms essentially admitting to patrolling the web brings the lulz

I dont want to tell you because I've recently posted some stuff about my past which is not really pretty. But I will say that I am in an inaugural class. So I applied at WCU-COM, ACOM, and MU-COM and all gave me quick secondary requests, interviews and turn arounds.

This should give you an idea on where to apply. Also, careful with regards to what you post on here! I promise and guarantee that they are watching! I am not saying you said anything bad, but they warned us people have been kicked out after being accepted for lacking prudence.

Very wise words indeed! I lost a very likely acceptance to my in state school because I shared my opinion of their "poor" interview day with SDN. Bad choice=lesson learned, also just plan ignorance, arrogance, and stupidity on my part.

Especially for older applicants a year can make a world of difference. Sorry if people's decisions aren't up to your prestigious and respectable expectations.

Congratulations OP. I'm very happy it worked out for you.

Money and statistics. Both are constraints here. But if you can overlook them go ahead. I'm surprised that these schools evidently have no cut off date for applicants or that they are still accepting students.

lol opie you said you wouldn't say what school but your context makes it hilariously obvious.

And for some reason it's mostly low tier schools doing this. As if they need quality control :rolleyes:.

Especially after saying someone got rescinded.

Remember remember the rescindment of november.

OP, congrats on the ACOM acceptance. Thats impressive this late.

I did not take heed to some of your warnings SDN. Consequently, I got acceptances!!!

Thanks to all!!

Congrats man! I guess it was definitely worth it for you. Us older people know what another year of waiting at our age really means.

Especially for older applicants a year can make a world of difference...

Very true

Money and statistics. Both are constraints here. But if you can overlook them go ahead. I'm surprised that these schools evidently have no cut off date for applicants or that they are still accepting students.

Most schools (including most MD schools) interview and accept people into March, but many of their app deadlines are in Dec/Jan. Almost all of the DO schools accept apps well into March and in some cases April and interview until around now too, so if he got everything in in early Feb, it makes sense he did OK.

Chalk one up for us old guys! Congrats brother, hope to follow in your footsteps this cycle

83, I'm sorry I've appeared cynical and that my life will subsequently be more difficult because of my attitude. I thank you for the time you spent making second level inferences off of a personal statement about the ludicrous nature of half these occurrences. I'm also sorry that it seems that my opinions and views have hurt you so much, and it is very unfortunate that you perceived me in such a hostile manner, when my intent was purely comical. But regardless, you have a good night and enjoy your acceptance.