About the ads

Apply for SMP or Retake PreReqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by MunnaBhaiDO, 12.31.10.

  1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. MunnaBhaiDO



    SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey everyone,

    I'm Pre-Osteo and just graduated in December from a top undergrad with a 3.15c and 3.05s GPA as a Chemistry Major. I reserved a seat for the January MCAT, but after taking a diagnostic AAMC MCAT #3 (9BS, 9PS, 10V) yesterday with no prior content review, I'm thinking about postponing the test date until April in order to actually study for this (realistic goal ...33?). In the next few months, I will also have to devote my time to a full time job in a research lab as well as clinical volunteering.

    So my question is: should I wait and take the MCAT in April.... and then during the summer, retake some of the science classes I got B's/C's in to boost my GPA and apply broadly through AACOMAS? OR, should I go ahead and take the MCAT in January with a ~28 and apply to SMP programs in February/March and then submit AACOMAS in the summer....

    Just out of curiosity, is it generally discouraged to take the MCAT twice? E.g. if I took it in January for the SMP program deadlines, and then retook in April with better performance?

    Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everyone in their endeavors during 2011! :soexcited:
  2. cliquesh


    Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The dean of University of Maryland medical school said he expects nearly all applicants to take the MCAT twice. So twice is fine, three is getting iffy, and 4+ is a problem.

    You should wait to take the exam, however. Study the material before you take it, lol.

    Anyway, I think an SMP should be your last option. if you scored in the upper 20's lower 30's and retook some classes, you should be fine if you apply early.

Share This Page

About the ads