Apply late or wait again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katattack21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am pretty new to this but here is my dilemma and string of questions. Last year I took the MCAT twice, got a 25 and me not thinking things through already send out my primaries to a few MD schools and did the secondaries. Obviously I did not get in.

So this year I wanted to retake the new MCAT, made a new study plan, at this point I keep scoring between 500-506 so I moved my test to August 22 because I want to try get over 510. I feel as though this is still very late because by the time I take it and my score comes out I will not be able to get my secondaries in until late september/early october.

I just graduated so I am entering my gap year so should I just go for it and apply to both MD and DO schools this cycle or take another gap year and apply next year for the 2017 cycle? I also want to be a oncologist and I have seen so many MD vs DO debates about residency programs so how will that affect my chances if I pick between MD and DO? Also what schools do you think I should look into?

If all else fails there is the NIH post bacc IRTA my professor told me to look into doing as well.

Some info if they are helpful:
GPA 3.5
Cancer Lab Assistant 1 years
Math/Mandarin Tutor 4 years
Research at undergrad 1.5 years
50 hours shadowing physicians
over 300 hours volunteering at ER and food pantries.

Members don't see this ad.

Postponing your MCAT to Aug 22 means you're applying next year, if you want to not waste your time and money again. So it means you can just as easily take the MCAT in September or January or April.

NIH IRTA is also pretty competitive and you'll have a slim shot as most labs have filled openings left by those going to med/grad schools