Apply next cycle or 2016-2017 with SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountaineer23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior biochem major and will be applying in the 2015-2016 app cycle. My GPA isn't too great, I expect an AMCAS verified sGPA of ~3.3 and cGPA of ~3.2. I have a 35 MCAT. I have good ECs with some unique experiences as well so they are not a problem. I will be applying to WVU and Marshall University. My question is whether I should apply 2015-2016, or wait till 2016-2017 and do an SMP at that time. If I apply and don't get in 2015-2016, will it hurt my chances the next cycle? Or should I just wait to apply in 2016-2017 so I can raise my GPA some and also start an SMP. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying and failing to get in will, in most cases, hurt your chances at those schools in the future, yes. Also, you should be applying to more than two schools. Many people apply to over 20.

I'd recommend retaking some classes and doing grade replacement if you're willing to go DO; you'd be a strong candidate in that case. If you are focused on MD, your GPA is going to be too low for most schools. While it not impossible to receive interviews with your nice MCAT score, I think you'd be better served going the SMP route for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying and failing to get in will, in most cases, hurt your chances at those schools in the future, yes. Also, you should be applying to more than two schools. Many people apply to over 20.

I'd recommend retaking some classes and doing grade replacement if you're willing to go DO; you'd be a strong candidate in that case. If you are focused on MD, your GPA is going to be too low for most schools. While it not impossible to receive interviews with your nice MCAT score, I think you'd be better served going the SMP route for MD.
Solid advice from Silverflash. You want to be a physician for 30+ years right? Take an extra year to prove your academic capabilities with the SMP. You have a good shot at DO next cycle but will you regret not going MD 5 years from now when you fall in love with a competitive specialty?
Edit: I would also add that given your GPA situation, an extra year will be very useful in bolstering your ECs, the importance of which cannot be overstated.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is important to note that I am a WV resident so that is why I am limiting myself to these two schools. I feel it would be a waste to apply anywhere else. Also, I am not interested in DO because I do not want to learn numerous hours of OMM to never use it, and I want to go to schools that are affiliated with teaching hospitals

Also, personally if I went DO I feel like I would be settling when I know I can make it into MD, along with the disadvantage of matching for competitive specialities

It is important to note that I am a WV resident so that is why I am limiting myself to these two schools. I feel it would be a waste to apply anywhere else. Also, I am not interested in DO because I do not want to learn numerous hours of OMM to never use it, and I want to go to schools that are affiliated with teaching hospitals
Well then like I said, take an extra year to strengthen your GPA and application in general.

Also, applying only to your state schools would be incredibly foolish. Not only does it severely reduce your chance of acceptance, but it is viewed as a lack of commitment and maturity by your state schools. How do I know this? Because multiple ADCOMs that I have talked to have stated this explicitly.

Reactions: 1 user
If I am told by an ADCOM like @Goro or @gyngyn to apply more broadly then I will. But your opinion doesn't really matter much to me since your status is pre-med just like mine

That's rather rude. Applying broadly isn't secret adcom wisdom passed down for generations. It's common sense based on how difficult and random the medical school admissions process can be. Plenty of people fail to get into their state school and instead get accepted OOS, even if their state schools are their "best match."

You're doing yourself a disservice if you apply to only two schools. That's not an opinion, it's simply the nature of admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
Well seeing as how my state schools are 75% IS, and there are only 250 IS applicants each cycle I believe that is my best shot. Didn't mean to be rude, I just don't see the point in applying broadly when my best bet is to be accepted by my state schools

If I am told by an ADCOM like @Goro or @gyngyn to apply more broadly then I will. But your opinion doesn't really matter much to me since your status is pre-med just like mine

lol, then why don't you go talk to a pre med advisor or something. You're in the pre-med forum dude. That being said, yes lets ask @Goro or @gyngyn and see what they think.

That information that I provided you is not my opinion, it is the opinion of the director of admissions from a state medical school. And by the way, our status is definitely not the same seeing as how I am currently going through the application cycle and have attended two interviews thus far.

Being IS doesn't guarantee an acceptance. That is why. What if you get interviews at both and bomb them? These things are unpredictable and DO happen. At that instance you probably want to be considered at other schools. The more schools you apply to, the more likely it is a school will see something they like and ultimately accept you. Applicants can't afford to be choosers when at almost every school there are 2 to 50 people fighting for each spot.

The applicant with dissonance between gpa and MCAT is among the most difficult to advise regarding odds of acceptance.
Medical school admissions tend to be risk averse and the pool of candidates with this characteristic (low gpa, high MCAT) are viewed as high risk.
For this reason, we advise a period of grade recovery followed by a broad application to many types of schools.

I concur. It's almost as if you're saying "I either go to school in WV, or I don't want to be a doctor".
At the minimum, if you can raise your GPA by a good SMP performance, then consider next door NEOMED, U KY, and Va Tech.

Being IS doesn't guarantee an acceptance. That is why. What if you get interviews at both and bomb them? These things are unpredictable and DO happen. At that instance you probably want to be considered at other schools. The more schools you apply to, the more likely it is a school will see something they like and ultimately accept you. Applicants can't afford to be choosers when at almost every school there are 2 to 50 people fighting for each spot.

Well next time search the forums so they don't have to repeat what they have already said to multiple pre meds.

I really didn't mean to come off as rude to anyone, I just never entertained the thought of OOS since my GPA is low

Thanks for the advice from everyone. @Goro is there any other OOS I should consider? Did not mean to come off as I only want to stay in WV. I thought it would be the only place I would have a shot. I want to apply anywhere I have a shot.

My apologies. It is sometimes hard to differentiate between true advice or people going off what they have read/heard. Congrats on the interviews, hopefully more to come. Good luck on acceptances

lol, then why don't you go talk to a pre med advisor or something. You're in the pre-med forum dude. That being said, yes lets ask @Goro or @gyngyn and see what they think.

That information that I provided you is not my opinion, it is the opinion of the director of admissions from a state medical school. And by the way, our status is definitely not the same seeing as how I am currently going through the application cycle and have attended two interviews thus far.

My apologies. It is sometimes hard to differentiate between true advice or people going off what they have read/heard. Congrats on the interviews, hopefully more to come. Good luck on acceptances

Well next time search the forums so they don't have to repeat what they have already said to multiple pre meds.

Already checked and couldn't find one exactly like my situation. I am aware on how to search a forum

There are a number of MD schools that reward reinvention. Examples that I know of are Tulane, Albany, NYMC, U Miami, Wayne State, Tufts, BU. I think that many of the lower tier schools like Rosy F, VCU or EVMS would also work for you.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. @Goro is there any other OOS I should consider? Did not mean to come off as I only want to stay in WV. I thought it would be the only place I would have a shot. I want to apply anywhere I have a shot.

There are a number of MD schools that reward reinvention. Examples that I know of are Tulane, Albany, NYMC, U Miami, Wayne State, Tufts, BU. I think that many of the lower tier schools like Rosy F, VCU or EVMS would also work for you.

Thank you for all of your insight. Is South Carolina also a good option?