Apply now or apply in a few Months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently, I have my previous ACOMAS application ready from last year. I updated all my extracurricular activities to be more reflective and detailed, revised my personal statement like a million times till perfection and have been getting a few more LORs from Professors (but using the ones that I had last year as well). I also extended the range of schools which I will be applying too (versus picking and choosing select schools that are out of my range).

My sGPA is about 2.8 and my cGPA is 3.2 at a good State University with two majors in the sciences. I have participated in various extracurricular clubs for the past 4 years straight, including nonacademic ones (with leadership experience). Also volunteered at a hospital for 100 hours, worked as a medical scribe, and went on a medical mission trip to a developing country.

I have taken the MCAT twice before: once in '14 with a 23, in '15 with a 494, and I'm planning on taking it a third (and final) time in September '16. I was wondering whether it was worth it for me to apply now for the DO cycle preferably or wait after or close to when I take the MCAT in September. I know its better to apply early in terms of the applications in general but also good to apply when the application is ready. It's quite a sticky situation to be in.

I'm sure if I apply now, that schools will see that I am taking the MCAT in a few months but then I might be screened out before hand. On the other hand, applying later with the MCAT might give me a better chances but its worrisome to think that I won't be in the early application pool and generally, chances grow slimmer and slimmer with each passing day.

Let me know what you think! I need a bit of advice, comments and suggestions on this. I'm going to apply this cycle regardless and if I don't make it, I'm prepared to take a Gap year (but not what the aim is).

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend you take a (preferably several) gap year before applying.
Applying again with your current stats will end up hurting you in the long run if you end up being a third-time applicant

Increase your sGPA to >3.0 at the minimum.
You can then focus on the MCAT and only take it until you are absolutely ready

With a 3.2/2.8 cGPA/sGPA and a decrease on the MCAT retake (23 to a 22) I can't think of any schools you would have a decent chance at an interview. I am not as informed about DO schools but I think @Goro would agree

Your numbers are lethal for any DO school. Don't bother with MCAT until you repair your GPA.

So currently, I have my previous ACOMAS application ready from last year. I updated all my extracurricular activities to be more reflective and detailed, revised my personal statement like a million times till perfection and have been getting a few more LORs from Professors (but using the ones that I had last year as well). I also extended the range of schools which I will be applying too (versus picking and choosing select schools that are out of my range).

My sGPA is about 2.8 and my cGPA is 3.2 at a good State University with two majors in the sciences. I have participated in various extracurricular clubs for the past 4 years straight, including nonacademic ones (with leadership experience). Also volunteered at a hospital for 100 hours, worked as a medical scribe, and went on a medical mission trip to a developing country.

I have taken the MCAT twice before: once in '14 with a 23, in '15 with a 494, and I'm planning on taking it a third (and final) time in September '16. I was wondering whether it was worth it for me to apply now for the DO cycle preferably or wait after or close to when I take the MCAT in September. I know its better to apply early in terms of the applications in general but also good to apply when the application is ready. It's quite a sticky situation to be in.

I'm sure if I apply now, that schools will see that I am taking the MCAT in a few months but then I might be screened out before hand. On the other hand, applying later with the MCAT might give me a better chances but its worrisome to think that I won't be in the early application pool and generally, chances grow slimmer and slimmer with each passing day.

Let me know what you think! I need a bit of advice, comments and suggestions on this. I'm going to apply this cycle regardless and if I don't make it, I'm prepared to take a Gap year (but not what the aim is).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, this question is about money. A late application hurts you regardless of numbers. So you have two factors against you: low number and lateness. I am also a re-applicant and I wanted to retake MCAT but I work full time and it was too much, so rather than re-take and apply late AGAIN, I used my old numbers and applied early. So if you are going to use your current numbers you have to submit like yesterday. If you are retaking the MCAT, then might as well wait another year you will have better numbers and be able to apply early, two things you dont have right now. Plus you save the money.

Did you get any interviews last time you applied? Just curios.

Honestly, this question is about money. A late application hurts you regardless of numbers. So you have two factors against you: low number and lateness. I am also a re-applicant and I wanted to retake MCAT but I work full time and it was too much, so rather than re-take and apply late AGAIN, I used my old numbers and applied early. So if you are going to use your current numbers you have to submit like yesterday. If you are retaking the MCAT, then might as well wait another year you will have better numbers and be able to apply early, two things you dont have right now. Plus you save the money.

Did you get any interviews last time you applied? Just curios.

Yeah. That's exactly my issue. Money is definitely a concern, but time is always an issue. So I'm trying to make the best out of the situation.

And no, I didn't get any interviews last time, but I did get some secondaries at most. I submitted my ACCOMAS in late December and submitted my secondaries in mid March so that could have led to my downfall, regardless of my grades and such.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to give plan B some consideration if you are not going to improve your numbers (sGPA and MCAT)...because applying with those abysmal stats a 2nd time is not going to get you any interviews...secondaries do not mean anything (pocket change for medical schools. Your donations will be well received after they auto screen your app to the can) Your MCAT scores do not bode well for medical school success and your science GPA needs a lot of improvement. You can improve your ECs a 1000x if that makes you feel better. However, boosting your ECs will not be enough to help your stats...I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just being honest. Why should an adcom give you the time of day?

Agree with the others that both your GPA and your MCAT scores are far too low for you to attempt to apply at all this year.

Regarding GPA: Since you are applying DO, there is really no excuse for not taking advantage of AACOMAS's grade replacement policy to get your GPA up to a competitive level (ideally 3.8+, but at minimum, 3.5+). You should start by retaking the courses with the lowest grades, and consider retaking all courses with grades of C or lower. Obviously you will want to make sure your study habits have improved prior to retaking.

MCAT: I would hold off on retaking until you retake your science classes and get your GPA up. It is highly likely that a major reason for your poor MCAT performance is that your foundation in the sciences is too poor for you to be able to do well on the test.

Agree with the others that both your GPA and your MCAT scores are far too low for you to attempt to apply at all this year.

Regarding GPA: Since you are applying DO, there is really no excuse for not taking advantage of AACOMAS's grade replacement policy to get your GPA up to a competitive level (ideally 3.8+, but at minimum, 3.5+). You should start by retaking the courses with the lowest grades, and consider retaking all courses with grades of C or lower. Obviously you will want to make sure your study habits have improved prior to retaking.

MCAT: I would hold off on retaking until you retake your science classes and get your GPA up. It is highly likely that a major reason for your poor MCAT performance is that your foundation in the sciences is too poor for you to be able to do well on the test.

In regards to classes, all of my medical school pre-reqs were at least a B- or above, none of them were a C or lower.

Why is your science gpa a 2.8 and not a 3.0?