Apply now or delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sobadsogood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice would be much appreciated.

GPA 3.2, MCAT 29 (taken 3 times)
Graduated 2 years ago, taken the core premed classes
Really want to apply this year, because I feel I waited long enough. While applying to DO, I realized I'm missing two things. Haven't taken any human behavior classes, which has become a requirement for many DO nowadays. Also, haven't shadowed DO (have shadowed MD).

Plan A: push through with the applying
Find a DO to shadow ASAP, send in the application, and get the needed human behavior units before matriculation date
P.S.
I'm a full time research assistant, so have to do something about that too.

Plan B: forget about this cycle
Don't rush the shadowing and the classes. Or might even do a master that has a link to DO upon completion.

It seems to me that getting a letter from DO is a must, while I might be able to get away with not taking the human behavior classes by applying to those school that don't require it. And I'm leaning towards this option, since I really want to apply this cycle and don't think waiting another year would benefit me much.

Members don't see this ad.

I got 6+ interviews with just an MD letter (no DO letter) this 2013-2014 cycle. And you do not need any human behavior classes. Most schools just require the regular 1 year of chem, ochem, bio, physics, and english. Just go ahead and apply. Worst case scenario, you're out $400-500 in application fees. But your stats are fine to get into somewhere IMO if your science GPA is decent as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted with just an MD letter and no DO shadowing. You will definitely get in somewhere if you are smart about where you apply

Thank you so much for the advice! That really boosted my confidence tremendously. I tried so hard to find a DO who might work on weekend, none. I worry most about the lack of DO shadowing due to their strong preference that you have some before hand.

+1 getting accepted without a DO letter and with exactly 10 hours of DO shadowing.