Apply now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnakePlissken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just registered here and I really want to be an OT! There's only one school I want to attend - A.T. Still.

A.T. Still looks at apps in late september up until april 1st on rolling admissions, but most of the time they close them in march. Based on my info below, should I apply in a few months or a year from now next fall?

Major: Exercise Science, Arizona State, graduating in December (yes, A.T. Still allows pre-reqs and bachelor's to be incomplete before matriculation)
GPA: 3.5
Pre-req GPA: 3.5 - 4.0ish
Major GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: Probably 3-3.2 :/

Observation hours - So far, 20 in skilled nursing but I will apply in november/december because i'll have alot more hours and settings by then
Volunteer - Nothing
Extra-Curri: Students for Liberty, Fight Against Slavery and Human Trafficking

Also, i'm still working on letters of reference, but one of my professors said she would write me one after meeting with me, and she's one of the adjunct professors at A.T. Still.

Members don't see this ad.

Well what is your reasoning for wanting to wait for next year to apply? Do you have all or most of your prereqs done? If so, I would definitely apply in the next couple months once you get more observation hours in.

The longer you wait the less chance you have in my opinion. Not to discourage you but I applied and interviewed at AT Still 2 years ago and didn't get in. Then reapplied last year and got declined for an interview but It didn't matter to me anyway because I had already got accepted somewhere else and that was my #1. You'll need more observation hours and a great interview to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hillary - I was just wondering if I should wait another year and maybe become an OT aid or get more volunteering/observation hours in to better my chances. I still need 3 pre-reqs but I will just take them at a community college next spring.

I would ask the school how they feel about unfinished prereqs at the time of application. I think a lot of schools heavily favor the applicants whose prereqs are completed. If A.T. is like this I would probably wait to apply next year.