Apply or Not? Serious help needed please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the MCAT and scored a 16M. Yes, I know it is severely low!

Since I am graduating this Fall (2007), my plans are to study rigorously for the MCAT during the Spring and Summer, retake it in early May (2008) to apply by June 1st, and in addition to studying for the MCAT, I also plan on doing either research or working as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant).

My questions are:

1)In addition to applying next year, should I also apply this year? Will it improve/hurt/have no effect/some combination of these...my chances of getting in next year? From what I understand, it is almost certain that I will not be getting in anywhere with a score this low now, but it might look good when I apply a second time next year having shown some improvement.

2)What do you suggest I do in my spare time from studying? What will look best? (Research, working as a CNA...I have my license already, etc.)

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT apply this year unless you have a whole lot of money to waste. If you already are planning on retaking the MCAT and applying next year, then just save the money for then. As for what to do, it depends on what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy the CNA work more than do it. The more you can do to make yourself standout in certain areas where you can have real and meaningful experiences the better.

Definitely don't apply anywhere in the US with a 16M.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying as a reapplicant puts you at a disadvantage. a 16M means you will not be getting in anywhere. Do not apply

actually i heard that reapplying helps you...it shows that you are dedicated. still dont apply with a 16m

I think it would be better to show your dedication through increasing your MCAT score. I don't think that there is any advantage in reapplying and it would be a horrible waste to do it now.

actually i heard that reapplying helps you...it shows that you are dedicated. still dont apply with a 16m

Being advantageous as a re-applicant is only the case when you have significantly improved the weaknesses in your application after coming close to being admitted. With the OP having an MCAT score so low, rejection from everywhere is all but assured.

I would just focus on the MCAT, bring that score up, and then apply for the first time next cycle.

with a 16M, even the caribeean seems out of reach

The first question is why the 16? That is just not even close to the ballpark, and is so far outside of the ballpark, you need to SERIOUSLY consider if this is a path worth continuing to go down.

I think that if you have a strong GPA, you can still get into low-tier DO schools?

I think that if you have a strong GPA, you can still get into low-tier DO schools?

wow kid, what you said is a strong disgraceful remark to do schools. a strong gpa and a 16 mcat prolly won't even get him into carib, what makes you think it'll get him into do?

Wow. Are you serious? ummmm..............no. Not even the carib will take you with a 16.

Most DOs have averages around 23-26, and take maybe a 20 at the lowest. That is not an option.

Honestly though, did you really put your all into that test? Because it's going to take a LOT of work to bring it up to a score that is competitive for DOs, let alone MDs (usually at least a 29).

1. Do not apply this year. Being a reapplicant already puts you at a disadvantage & if I were you, I'd want to apply with the highest chance of getting in where you want. Don't just apply & hope to maybe have a shot at only DO (which I don't even think you would); retake the MCAT and make yourself competitive at other schools. A 16 is half of the score that's considered competitive at most US schools. You don't need to apply twice for them to see a score improvement b/c they'll see all your MCAT scores.

2. Definitely work as a CNA if you have a license already-it's good clinical exposure. And do research if you're lacking in that area. But make sure you make the MCAT a priority.