Apply or take MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pompompurin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im caught in a dilemma. I took the last paper MCAT exam in August and scored a 31 (PS 10, V 9, BS 12), have a 3.21 GPA from an ivy league university, and took postbac classes in CUNY City and Queens College (GPA 3.9).

I am not sure if I should take MCAT again this summer or just go ahead with applications to MD schools in the US. If somebody has any good advice i would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your undergrad GPA is a bit low, but you made up a little for that with your postbac. I would strongly advise against retaking the MCAT (unless you are scoring upper 30's on your practice exams and you know you can do better). You DO NOT want to retake it only to get a lower score. If I were you I would go with what you've got.

Just make sure you have some solid EC's and that you apply to a broad range of schools. Good luck. :luck:

Your MCAT's fine. The GPA will hurt you, but a higher MCAT won't mitigate that.

Im caught in a dilemma. I took the last paper MCAT exam in August and scored a 31 (PS 10, V 9, BS 12), have a 3.21 GPA from an ivy league university, and took postbac classes in CUNY City and Queens College (GPA 3.9).

I am not sure if I should take MCAT again this summer or just go ahead with applications to MD schools in the US. If somebody has any good advice i would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posters, do not take the MCAT again. The most important thing for you to do is to have enough clinical experiences (with volunteer or job) so you can write compelling essays on your applications. You should be able to write about your experiences, what you learned from them and how they are preparing you for medical education.

Also, those experiences will be key to having a successful interview.

Good Luck! :luck:

Thanks!

even though your undergrad gpa is low, it is from an ivy league school...that will more than make up for your 3.2 gpa. of course, you realize that your dreams of going to an ivy league med school are pretty much squashed. your numbers are fine to get you into your state school unless it's CA.

do not take the MCAT again, unless you know you can improve. (did you study your best for the MCAT? if not, then take it again.)

MCAT LOOKS GOOD! I would say retake the MCAT and do extreamly good. Much better than 31...at lleast 35.

GOOD LUCK! HOPE U GET IN :luck:

MCAT LOOKS GOOD! I would say retake the MCAT and do extreamly good. Much better than 31...at lleast 35.

GOOD LUCK! HOPE U GET IN :luck:

There's absolutely no guarantee the OP would get "at least 35". My vote goes in the 'do not retake' pile.

If its above a 30, i say keep it;).

Just keep churning out good grades, and then cover all your other bases (LORs, ECs, etc). Good luck!

The MCAT's fine - beyond ~30, you meet ADCOMs' MCAT P/F requirement, and there's no additional benefit.

The grades are what are keeping you back now.

Why not take an additional course beyond what the post-bac requires- like Biochem?

It will communicate to the med schools that you are committed to the ongoing process and that you can handle advanced courses. Plus if you do well, it will increase the gpa.

Your grades seem fine and 31 MCATs is awesome- it's above the mean for most MD and DO med schools.

What was your undegrad degree in? I think for post bacs its really about the whole package. i am sure med schools will see wonderful things in you and your "pre" pre-med life. Good luck.

thanks for the advice.

right now ive taken 22 credits worth of postbac undergrad classes and have run out of upper level classes to take (i was a human biology major). should i continue taking grad classes or enroll in an SMP?

Also i scored a 31 phys 10, bio 12 and verbal 9. i was scoring higher in verbal (by 2-3 points) and thats the reason why i wanted to retake. however, i've heard that verbal is hardest to improve...

EC are good. i've been working in a lab while taking classes, volunteered at a hospital, and tutoring/mentoring.

thanks for the advice.

right now ive taken 22 credits worth of postbac undergrad classes and have run out of upper level classes to take (i was a human biology major). should i continue taking grad classes or enroll in an SMP?

Also i scored a 31 phys 10, bio 12 and verbal 9. i was scoring higher in verbal (by 2-3 points) and thats the reason why i wanted to retake. however, i've heard that verbal is hardest to improve...

EC are good. i've been working in a lab while taking classes, volunteered at a hospital, and tutoring/mentoring.

Man I don't know what school you go to, but even as a human biology major, you wouldn't run out of upper division undergrad classes after 22 units of post-bacc. There's plenty of stuff to take. The real question is what would you like to take. Therefore you can continue taking more post-bacc classes, or do an SMP. Its really more about what floats your boat than anything else.

I'm assuming that you have a great upward GPA trend, so that will help, but it won't hurt you to keep increasing the overall undergrad GPA. SMP and graduate level classes do not help in this aspect. So its really up to you. I chose the take more undergrad classes route despite going to grad school. My weakness was mainly undergrad GPA. MCAT was fine. I wouldn't retake the MCAT again. As you pointed out, verbal is a pain to improve. I ended up with a 36, but verbal was stuck at 10 for like forever. I would've been happy with a 9 on VR too. Just happy that is out of the way....

Anyway, your call...but reinforce where you are weakest. But "try" to have fun too.;)

The MCAT's fine - beyond ~30, you meet ADCOMs' MCAT P/F requirement, and there's no additional benefit.

The grades are what are keeping you back now.

Should I retake the MCAT too?

I'd go ahead and apply. It all depends on how broadly you apply and/or whre you really want to end up. My GPA was low like yours and my MCAT was only a 30 and I was accepted to three schools after applying to 10.

You didn't mention any medical experience. If you haven't already, shadow a doctor for about 100hrs or so (not that hard to do). Get the doc to write one of your letters. That, more than anything helped my application.