Apply this cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lafakads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.70 GPA in Chemical Engineering
Probably around a 3.65 sGPA (Or higher depending on which courses they count, could go up to a 3.75)
30 MCAT (12/9/9)

Heres the problem, I came into the ballgame late so my EC's are lacking. However, I am MAINLY interested in Florida Schools (MD and DO) and few other out of state friendly ones. Also I am "Hispanic" if that would help me at all.

Heres my EC's for college

Tutored students in Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus (6hrs/week for a semester)

Worked at City of Tampa Water Department CO-OP (40hrs/week for a semester)

Currently working in a research lab for Alzheimers (just started a month ago but 20hrs/week)

Just shadowed am Emergency Physician (15 hrs total), still trying to find other doctors to shadow.

Just started volunteering at a local hospital 4hrs/week.

In the process of starting my own LLC/Trademark for a project I did at school.

besides that, there isnt much other things that I can think of right now that are relevant EC's (Perhaps as a hobby I plan on entering a powerlifting contest in October.)

I know most people will tell me to wait a year and build my EC's up, but I'm mainly interested in florida schools and I know plenty of people that are applying with way less stats then me. I guess I'm just getting anxious. I could have my LOR's and PS in by the end of June.

Members don't see this ad.

Hispanic does help you. Over the last couple years, Hispanic applicants with a 3.7/30 have been accepted 85% of the time. That said, you're EC's are extremely limited. When I asked the same question about whether or not to apply, I was advised by most to wait due to limited EC's which were still much more extensive than what you have at present (6+ months hospital volunteering, 30-40 hrs shadowing, etc.)

If you apply this cycle, it's possible you'll get in somewhere though there is no guarantee. However, if you wait and strengthen the rest of your app- more volunteering, more shadowing, etc- you'll be in a much stronger position to receive perhaps multiple acceptances. The general wisdom is to try to make your application as strong as possible so you only have to apply once. My personal opinion would be to follow that and wait until next cycle.

Either way, good luck OP

source:
https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Hispanic does help you. Over the last couple years, Hispanic applicants with a 3.7/30 have been accepted 85% of the time. That said, you're EC's are extremely limited. When I asked the same question about whether or not to apply, I was advised by most to wait due to limited EC's which were still much more extensive than what you have at present (6+ months hospital volunteering, 30-40 hrs shadowing, etc.)

If you apply this cycle, it's possible you'll get in somewhere though there is no guarantee. However, if you wait and strengthen the rest of your app- more volunteering, more shadowing, etc- you'll be in a much stronger position to receive perhaps multiple acceptances. The general wisdom is to try to make your application as strong as possible so you only have to apply once. My personal opinion would be to follow that and wait until next cycle.

Either way, good luck OP

source:
https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Thanks for the stats. It's just killing me at the thought of waiting longer. I will be doing more volunteering each week and I do plan on getting another 30ish hours of shadowing by the end of this month. Figure I could maybe apply BROADLY to all FL (MD and DO) and OOS friendly schools. Also send lots of updates when I finish new things. And if worse comes to worse, I will have been shadowing/volunteering/researching this whole year so I do reapply I will have more EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
When does the MCAT expire, after 3 or 5 years? Personally I would wait a year to be sure of an acceptance, but if I had to retake the MCAT it would change my mind.

MCAT lasts 3 years. So it will be good next cycle. However If I didnt get in next cycle then I would have to retake.

Does anyone know if Engineering LOR will count as sciences? I'm finalizing my list of schools if you guys would like to check it out in a bit.

Last edited:
So im 99% sure Im going to apply this cycle and if worse comes to worse reapply next year with a year more of EC's

Here is my tentative list that I feel are OOS friendly schools around my stats. I will be narrowing this down more tho. Any feedback?

FAU
FIU
FSU
USF
UCF
UF
UM
Meharry
Virginia Tech
Medical College of Wisconson
Indiana
Virginia Commonwealth
Brown
Rosalind Franklin
Wright State Boonshoft
Rush
New York Medical
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
Georgetown
Creighton
George Washington University
University of Utah
Temple
Eastern Virginia
Wayne State
Michigan State
University of Illinois
Albany
East Tennessee
Loma Linda
Marshall
Morehouse
Oakland
Penn State
Commonwealth
Toledo
Tulane
University of Kansas
University of Louisville
University of Missouri
University of South Carolina
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
West Virginia

I'd remove the HBC's and Brown. Possibly remove U of Wash and U of Wisc due to higher admissions standards.