Apply to additional schools or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsquared

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my AADSAS and reduced my number of schools (safeties) after being advised to do so.

My stats:

Good LAC for undergrad
cGPA = 3.7
sGPA= 3.6
DAT= 21 AA/19 TS/no section under 18

Over 100 hours volunteer clinical dental experience and well over 200 volunteering in non-dental clinical settings.

Here are the schools I applied to (alphabetic order-by state):

The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine CO
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics IA
University of Indiana School of Dentistry IN
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry MN
University of Michigan School of Dentistry MI
Creighton University School of Dentistry NE
Ohio State School of Dentistry OH
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry/OHSU OR
University of Pittsburgh School of Dentistry (Pitt) PA
Marquette University School of Dentistry WI

Do people think that there will be a few interviews and an acceptance or two in this batch? Would you advise me to add more safeties? (I took out the midwesterns and a few more expensive private schools)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd add back in those private schools since your list is so state school heavy. On paper you should get some interviews but who knows. As for the acceptance, flip a coin :D. It will come down to your interviewing skills.

You should be fine, but I'd throw in another two schools just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're missing OOS public schools that offer in-state tuition after one year. Those can sometimes be even cheaper than your in-state school. Examples of such include: UConn, UCSF, Buffalo, Ohio, Stonybrook. UConn doesn't have an in-state preference, so I would without a doubt apply there first. Especially since P/F curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm adding Ohio State. I'd welcome additional thoughts and advice. Kittenz' was particularly helpful, but I welcome all input.

So I submitted my AADSAS and reduced my number of schools (safeties) after being advised by my significant other to do so.

My stats:

Good LAC for undergrad
cGPA = 3.7
sGPA= 3.8
DAT= 21 AA/19 TS/no section under 18

Over 100 hours volunteer clinical dental experience and well over 200 volunteering in non-dental clinical settings.

Here are the schools I applied to (alphabetic order-by state):

The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine CO
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics IA
University of Indiana School of Dentistry IN
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry MN
University of Michigan School of Dentistry MI
Creighton University School of Dentistry NE
Ohio State School of Dentistry OH
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry/OHSU- OR
Marquette University School of Dentistry WI

Do people think that there will be a few interviews and an acceptance or two in this batch? Would you advise me to add more safeties? (I took out the midwesterns and a few more expensive private schools)
You are fine. Save money for interviews.

Thanks for the kind words and advice--much appreciated.

...and I'm starting to look at my spreadsheet for comparisioning school stats. I was recently told that a course I thought would fulfill a prereq at U. Mich will probably not, so I'm thinking about adding U Conn and/or U Pitt because of their rankings and in state tuition after a year policies. Any input from other members on this thought?

Uconn is a good idea, and I didn't realize Pitt gave in-state tuition after a year but either way it's not a super expensive OOS school so I would say those are good options.

Yeah Marquette had a similar policy that they talked about at the interview. Buying a house might help your argument that you plan on maintaining permanent residency but I don't think there are any guarantees. Either way I would apply, see where you get in, and take it from there.

Reactions: 1 user
When I read you put Oregon, something clicked in my mind as I wondered why I didn't apply there last year. I was pretty sure odds were against me as an OOS. I checked my ADEA book and it confirms, 24 acceptances/1148 total applicants. So 2% of out of state applicants were admitted (for reference, Texas is like 1.4%). But 50% for instate.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of this for OHSU--the stats I have from this year say that OHSU has a 32% OOS percentage for their class? super112: am I reading the stats wrong, or is there some additional info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware of this for OHSU--the stats I have from this year say that OHSU has a 32% OOS percentage for their class? super112: am I reading the stats wrong, or is there some additional info?
Probably 32% of the class is OOS, but only 2% of OOS applicants accepted (or matriculated), ya feel?

Understood--didn't pick that up from the stats. So I take it that this is a fairly popular school with OOS applicants, although, proportionally, not that many get accepted?

Understood--didn't pick that up from the stats. So I take it that this is a fairly popular school with OOS applicants, although, proportionally, not that many get accepted?
Yup. And I've heard that most of their OOS students are from WICHE states.

If anyone has the ADEA guide, can you confirm or refute this?

Yup. And I've heard that most of their OOS students are from WICHE states.

If anyone has the ADEA guide, can you confirm or refute this?

Heres the OOS distribution from last years guidebook: AZ-3, CA-3, CO-1, FL-1, HI-1, IN-1, MT-3, SD-1, UT-2, WA-8. 24/75 were OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
I think someone explained it but I'll add too. That 2% is OOS applicatants accepted out of total OOS applicants. I think it's a small but important thing to consider when stuck deciding between similar schools because some schools have crazy number of applicants. I don't have my notes but I think NYU has the most at 5%. But since I'm from California, I decided I will add Oregon and you should too if from one of the WICHE states.

Point taken. I'm not from a WICHE state, so this affects me pretty substantially. I didn't add UConn, as it seems that even though it's p/f, drop out rates are pretty high and it is hard to get into given the in state tuition after a year. I really feel like I should add a school or two, but I'm not sure if I should add a private (e.g. Midwestern) or another public before I get mailed out tomorrow.

I'd really like to add another school or two, and I was surprised to find out the additional information on UConn. Any additional thoughts/suggestions on potential schools to consider with my stats would be AMAZING. Thanks all!

Thanks for the advice and school tips rxdmx372. I originally had Nova on the list but then took it off. It seems like one of the cheaper privates, and my stats seem to be a decent match. Would you recommend this over the midwesterns?