apply to D.O. schools again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xTinaBna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question should be on the 're-applicant' forum..but i thought people that visit the d.o. forum would be able to answer my question best =) I applied for Fall 2006 to d.o. schools, and I have a feeling I will not be accepted this year (no interviews :( ). I was late in the whole application process and i understand that probably hurt what chances i had. Does anyone think it is worth applying for Fall 2007 to d.o. schools that i didn't apply to the first time? I was thinking that if i applied right on June 1, i would have a better chance this cycle. my stats are basically a 3.0 gpa and 23 mcat..which is another reason why i feel like i have the best shot in the next cycle. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

rework your ps and have a mentor look over it I believe mid may or early june is the opening time for AACOMAS. I would call them and ask when the earliest time is to resend your MCATS and grades and application in. If you apply early you'll also be able to interview Sept/Oct and hopefully know by Nov.
Good luck

Where did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, apply as early as possible!!!

thanks for all the responses so far! just to let u know, i applied to ccom, azcom, pcom, msucom, nycom, kirksville, pikeville, touro-mi, and western.

next time i was thinking of applying to lecom, nova, pcom-atlanta, touro-nevada, des moines, and maybe a couple of my previous schools again. i know my mcat is on the low side and i'd like to take it again. this april was not possible b/c i am working practically full time and taking 2 more courses. and i also dont want to take the august one because it will delay my processing. hopefully this next time around things will work out =)

cbenedic said:
thanks for all the responses so far! just to let u know, i applied to ccom, azcom, pcom, msucom, nycom, kirksville, pikeville, touro-mi, and western.

next time i was thinking of applying to lecom, nova, pcom-atlanta, touro-nevada, des moines, and maybe a couple of my previous schools again. i know my mcat is on the low side and i'd like to take it again. this april was not possible b/c i am working practically full time and taking 2 more courses. and i also dont want to take the august one because it will delay my processing. hopefully this next time around things will work out =)

I would advise you to apply to all of the Osteopathic schools out there. Assuming that you don't mind going anywhere. Your GPA is a little low, but there's a school out there that's going to like your application. Good luck. :luck:

doc2b34 said:
I would advise you to apply to all of the Osteopathic schools out there. Assuming that you don't mind going anywhere.
I agree with doc2b34

I agree with the above posters. You need to apply broadly. I also suggest you think long and hard about retaking the April MCAT. If you're determined to go to med school, then there's no reason to sit around for another application cycle if you can improve your application. You have a month and a half until the April MCAT is administered. That may not be enough time to prepare, that's a decision you need to make. If you decide to do it, take a leave of absence from work to prepare for it. On the flip side, if you can't adequately prepare for the April MCAT, then take the August MCAT and work like a dog to bring your score up.
Good luck

cbenedic said:
I know this question should be on the 're-applicant' forum..but i thought people that visit the d.o. forum would be able to answer my question best =) I applied for Fall 2006 to d.o. schools, and I have a feeling I will not be accepted this year (no interviews :( ). I was late in the whole application process and i understand that probably hurt what chances i had. Does anyone think it is worth applying for Fall 2007 to d.o. schools that i didn't apply to the first time? I was thinking that if i applied right on June 1, i would have a better chance this cycle. my stats are basically a 3.0 gpa and 23 mcat..which is another reason why i feel like i have the best shot in the next cycle. Any thoughts? Thanks!

There is no reason you should not reapply. Most reapplicants get accepted as long as they apply to enough schools.

Your numbers are not great. Perhaps, applying many schools early will help but the chance is still low. When you're re-applicant, the adcom wants to see your improvement. You just sit there and do nothing for the next year, you kill your own chance. One more thing, make sure you have the LORs ready. I know that you can't read the LORs, but you can call the office to check if the professors write a letter attached to the form. When you're applying, call each school to make sure your LORs (and other requirements) already came. I found out that all of my LORs did not come to COMP at all even though I sent them 2 times (they might misplace them). When COMP has everything from me, I got an interview. Try hard and good luck.

cbenedic said:

When did you apply this year?

Definitely retake the MCAT. You need to be able to reconcile a lowish GPA with a high MCAT to show them that you will be able to deal with the rigors of the curriculum. For me it worked like a charm. Good luck to you!

I agree with others in retaking the MCAT again in April, and if that's not possible, in August. If you have everything else ready, taking the August MCAT will not put you at a significant disadvantage. In fact, it will be to your advantage if you score better. I would talk to an admissions counselor at the schools you applied to to see how you can improve your application and let them know you are interested in re-application. Some schools may not seriously consider your application if you do not make improvements to your application. I might also consider shadowing or talking to a D.O (if you have not done so yet). I wish you the best!

thank you to everyone for all the input so far! Just to update, I just received notice of my first interview with Touro-MI (i'm very grateful and excited!). I also do have an upcoming appointment with an admissions counselor at CCOM to go over my application's strengths/weaknesses and things that I can improve upon. I'm also going to Guatemala this summer to do a medical service mission for a few weeks. I have shadowed a D.O. before but I am looking to possibly shadow another. I do have another question, if I list that I am taking the mcat this august, will schools still send me secondaries before they receive my new score? i heard that if you took the mcat before and are submitting new scores, you can submit you secondaries and LOR's all before hand and they just wait for that MCAT score to complete your file. Thanks!

Absolutely. Most schools will certainly look to see if you are retaking the MCAT on your AACOMAS and take that into consideration in regards to sending out secondaries. You could fill out the secondaries while waiting for results from the August MCAT and then the admissions committee would have your secondaries, letters of rec, and "new & improved August MCAT scores" :) to consider your application by around October (if my memory serves me right). You'll still be on schedule and ahead of many other applicants, especially if you have everything else ready. It sounds like you are dedicated and I wish you all the best. Your perseverance will shine through in your application. I have a feeling your second time around will go much better!