apply to more programs? already oct 16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphaureus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 40 programs, mostly on the coast. Got a couple of interview invites so far, one reject... starting to have some anxieties. My grades during 3rd year aren't spectacular, but I didn't fail anything. Wonder if it is too late to apply to a few more programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 40 programs, mostly on the coast. Got a couple of interview invites so far, one reject... starting to have some anxieties. My grades during 3rd year aren't spectacular, but I didn't fail anything. Wonder if it is too late to apply to a few more programs?

Ha, I am starting to think the same thing. I only applied to 32 and have just one invite, no rejections. Thinking about adding 5 or so more.

without really knowing the specifics on either of you I have to wonder -->

why you would be so selective at the initial application stage?? ENT isn't family medicine. You should apply broadly initially (no matter how strong your application) and then decline interviews once you're satisified you've got 10-12. It makes no sense to me to spend $200K for medical school and then save $500 by not applying broadly. You'll likely just end up stressed about the whole thing. Maybe you'll still match but why apply so selectively to such a competitive field?

Members don't see this ad :)
without really knowing the specifics on either of you I have to wonder -->

why you would be so selective at the initial application stage?? ENT isn't family medicine. You should apply broadly initially (no matter how strong your application) and then decline interviews once you're satisified you've got 10-12. It makes no sense to me to spend $200K for medical school and then save $500 by not applying broadly. You'll likely just end up stressed about the whole thing. Maybe you'll still match but why apply so selectively to such a competitive field?

Well a little about me:
240's Step 1, A lot of research experience, few pubs (not first author and not in oto), did not honor surgery, honored IM and Psych. Not AOA.

I know Oto is really competitive to match in, but I also don't want to go somewhere that I think i'll be miserable for 5 years. I also don't want to waste program's time and resources if I know that the program would be far far down on my list (I know, beggar can't be chooser). I don't want to take up other interviewee's spot, only to cancel it in December when I get better interviews. I also have regional preferences, but I make appropriate compromise depending if the program itself looks appealing. So those are my reason..

But now, I'm starting to worry a little, and are looking at some other good programs. So the question remain, is it too late now? do most programs already download enough application and stopped? I figure interviews haven't come out yet, so it's still time...

You might be worrying too quick. I applied to 50 places and only 16 of those 50 have offered at this point. That means I still have 34 possible spots...I did apply very broadly however. I figure I need to interview at 10-20 places. Of the 16 that have offered half have not given me an interview and half have so I feel a lot better than 2 weeks ago when nothing was coming in. Check otomatch.com to see if the places you applied to have offered. This might ease your mind a bit. Good luck.

You might be worrying too quick. I applied to 50 places and only 16 of those 50 have offered at this point. That means I still have 34 possible spots...I did apply very broadly however. I figure I need to interview at 10-20 places. Of the 16 that have offered half have not given me an interview and half have so I feel a lot better than 2 weeks ago when nothing was coming in. Check otomatch.com to see if the places you applied to have offered. This might ease your mind a bit. Good luck.

Right, I'm getting 2 invites, 2 rejects so far.. which I think is pretty good, though there are a few more that already send out interviews that I haven't heard from. In any case, I still want to know if you guys think it's a waste of money to add on some more programs (particularly those who haven't send out interviews yet)...? Or is it at a point where they've reviewed enough applicants and are just waiting for the Dean's Letter

To be honest, I think it'd be a waste of money to add programs at this point. You will be totally fine if you already got 2 invites. I applied to 42, which I think is plenty, but when all those programs I didn't apply to started making offers I was wishing I applied to more (I only applied to 8 of the 23 or so that have made offers). I'm impatient like everyone else and wish I was hearing from all the programs that I applied to. We still have a lot of time and a lot of programs are going to be making offers more than once. So, I'm sitting tight for now. The only programs I would feel comfortable adding are those that haven't downloaded applications yet. For me, only 1 of my 42 hasn't downloaded stuff yet, and that is Mt. Sinai. Maybe other people can post who hasn't downloaded apps yet and you can target those programs.

On the other hand, some programs might not review applications till November, but that means they won't be sending out invites until mid to late november. In that case, you won't be getting the reinforcement you're seeking right now and you'll have to wait another month anyway. By then, I bet you have more interviews and are feeling good, and you won't need those extra interviews from the programs that you weren't initially interested in.

Just some stuff to think about... but hold tight, and good luck. I'm sure that you'll be fine.

I know Oto is really competitive to match in, but I also don't want to go somewhere that I think i'll be miserable for 5 years. I also don't want to waste program's time and resources if I know that the program would be far far down on my list (I know, beggar can't be chooser). I don't want to take up other interviewee's spot, only to cancel it in December when I get better interviews. I also have regional preferences, but I make appropriate compromise depending if the program itself looks appealing. So those are my reason.

32 programs sounds a little thin. You have to ask yourself if you would rather be trained as an otolaryngologist or would you rather stay within your "regional preferences." Limiting yourself to one region or only top-tier programs is how great applicants go unmatched.

Apply broadly and go to as many interviews as you can. If you would rather go unmatched than to end up at one of those places you interviewed, then don't rank it.

Good luck.

32 programs sounds a little thin. You have to ask yourself if you would rather be trained as an otolaryngologist or would you rather stay within your "regional preferences." Limiting yourself to one region or only top-tier programs is how great applicants go unmatched.

Apply broadly and go to as many interviews as you can. If you would rather go unmatched than to end up at one of those places you interviewed, then don't rank it.

Good luck.

My point exactly, just made much more succinctly.

Good luck.

well, that's the dilemma I'm in, and looking to apply to some more programs. But wonder if it's too late now.

Don't waste your time and money applying to more programs. It won't change things for you.

On that note, I don't understand why applicants apply to 40, 50, or 60 programs these days. It's silly. It make our job more difficult to sift through applications. When we have 250 applications for 3 slots, there's just no time to devote to reading a person's application. By broadly applying, you do yourself and others a disservice.

If you're an average or below average candidate, the chances are slim that you'll get an oto residency spot. Increasing the number of applications does not improve your appeal.

People make the mistake of applying all over the map. If you don't have ties to certain regions, your not likely to get a match there. This really does matter to some program directors and faculty.

So, don't apply to more programs.

Agree is NPboy to a certain degree. I think that 30-40 program is reasonable but over that is pretty much overkill. Just like has been said a hundred times, apply to your local programs, some top programs, some middle of the road, some that the faculty at your med school suggest, etc. I wouldn't apply to fewer than 20 programs but if everyone applied to over 40 makes it more and more of a numbers game, which makes it harder for programs to sift through and find candidates who may not have great scores but could make good residents.