Applying as disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitesandstars94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm wondering if I'm disadvantaged enough to be applying as disadvantaged. I know there are a million threads like this, but I think my situation is pretty unique. So I had a pretty normal, middle class upbringing, but the summer before my senior year of high school my dad had a massive stroke. He is permanently disabled because of it, and receives disability. There was also 200K in medical bills we had to deal with. Because of the timing (it was the year before I went to college), my college options were extremely limited from a financial standpoint. I couldn't even qualify for need based aid at most colleges because the tax returns from the previous year did not reflect the (then) current financial situation. I chose to go to a large SEC school where I got a full scholarship, because schools where I got full rides were pretty much my only option, and there were only a few. Dad has since had multiple stroke related medical problems which have been expensive to treat, and he has to take many expensive medications. My mother supports the family, and money's tight but we're not like living in poverty. Do you think this could rightfully be classified as disadvantaged? If so, how much would applying as disadvantaged actually help my chances of admission?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have had to take semesters off to care for him, or needed to work back-to-back jobs to pay your way, or even suffered significant illness yourself, I would say there's a safe possibility that you could list as disadvantaged. Ask your academic advisor, and specifically ask your pre-med advisor(s) for their opinions.

It's a personal decision. Honestly. They leave it open and somewhat vague so that you can interpret what it means and apply it to your situation. For schools who want to "recruit" disadvantaged students, it would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I would not consider this to be disadvantaged. Worth talking about somewhere in your application? Perhaps, particularly if it played a role in your interest in medicine. But I would not consider this to be "disadvantaged" in the way that it is typically included in applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Think of it this way: disadvantaged students were brought up wit a BACKGROUND that makes it difficult to obtain AND succeed in higher education and thus become a doctor.

You had a situation that made it a bit more difficult, but I wouldn't classify it as your 'background'. You apparently had the advantage of at least adequate to good schooling growing up to help you succeed.

That's my interpretation at least. Again, I guess it's your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think your entire childhood had to be in poverty to be disadvantaged. That said, I wouldn't consider you disadvantaged.

I qualify disadvantaged based one question: was your education limited? By that, I don't mean did you have to settle on a state school vs a private school, I mean were you able to afford books? Did you routinely miss class because you had to work or take care of a family member? Were you unable to afford adequate health care (for yourself) and/or nutrition while being a student?