Applying before your MCAT (Texas MD schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoodisGood163

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm wondering if I should do exactly what I said in the title. However, it's a little more complicated than that. I live in Texas and therefore will apply via the TMDSAS. I've heard about the whole "go ahead and submit now but only put one school on there" approach, but the TMDSAS does not allow you to do that. Basically, when you submit is when you submit.

That being said, I have a MCAT score from 2014 that I can use, but it's a little on the low side. My question is: should I go ahead and apply to all the schools in Texas through TMDSAS with my previous MCAT score or wait until July to submit my application (my MCAT is on 06/19 this year)?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there is an option to indicate a future MCAT retake. You can go ahead and submit it now because it takes awhile to process but the schools won't evaluate your application until the latest score comes in. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Go ahead and submit, I say. They will evaluate you on your current score, but indicating a future MCAT will let them know you are worth coming back to if they like everything else, considering you do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. Application is done for TMDSAS, just retaking my MCAT (6/19 as well). Haven't submitted since I have a considerably bad MCAT score. Let me know what you find out OP. I don't want to submit and end up being auto rejected due to my previous score (and yes I do have my future 6/19 test date noted on my application).

Submit so that your application will get verified. It can take a while for TMDSAS to verify your application. Indicate that you will be taking your MCAT at a future date.

How low is "A little on the low side?" If it's 27+, I'd suggest you go ahead and apply now. If it's lower, you may want your 'first impression' to be a little stronger.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a 26, unfortunately... Does that constitute a later submission then? I spoke with a TMDSAS representative through email and they said that if you have a MCAT planned before September, they must look at it. I'll add their part of the conversation down below.

"I can’t say specifically what the schools will do because each school has their own protocol. But what I can tell you is that if you have a planned MCAT test date between now and Sept 12th once you release the scores, the schools MUST review the new score once they become available."

Last edited:
I mean, this whole process is a little confusing to me. I've applied the previous cycle with a MCAT score that they already have. They will also know based on when I dated my new MCAT that I will be taking another exam before applying again. Granted the MCAT is not the only thing new on my application (new LORs and about 1000+ hours as a medical assistant)...medical schools should know to wait before making a "decision", right?

Submitting now, assuming that your new MCAT is much better, and having it completely done by July isn't the worst thing. They might wait, but they'll have lots of other applications to look at that are ready to go. I still think your best bet is to submit now, get verified, and wreck your MCAT.

Hey guys need some help. I am waiting for my mcat score which I will get July 21st. I a plan on submitting on the next two days. If I don't like my score in couple weeks, can I then go back to my application and tell them I plan on taking a new mcat? Thanks

Hey guys need some help. I am waiting for my mcat score which I will get July 21st. I a plan on submitting on the next two days. If I don't like my score in couple weeks, can I then go back to my application and tell them I plan on taking a new mcat? Thanks

Yes you can. You just put in the new date.

Reactions: 1 user