Applying Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am currently a 2nd year University student and will start my junior year this fall. I decided to take the OAT this summer and am studying for it right now.
I am really interested in applying to a few schools that accept students without undergraduate degrees, ICO being my top choice.
I've already talked to one of their admissions counselors about this but would like a second opinion.
My gpa is currently a 3.32 and science gpa is low, about a 2.87. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to apply now (Assuming my OAT scores are 300 or higher) or to wait and apply next year. I understand that having an extra year on my belt would help me boost up my application and GPA, but would really love to save myself a year if possible.
Do I stand a chance or would I just be wasting my time?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind paying the application fee, just apply now! Even if you don't get accepted this year, at least you get the experience of going through the application process and know how to improve next year.

Just keep in mind that it is rare to get accepted without an undergrad degree (but still possible!)

I would make sure I nail the OAT first before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a sci gpa below 3 I would focus on jr year rather than applying. It isn't necessary to have experience applying and theres alot of work that would take away from either needed summer recharge or the fall semester. I would worry that taking the oat too soon could hurt you also so if you do take it, make sure youre prepared. Sounds like you already got an answer from the admissions counsler.

that Right,Sounds like you already got an answer from the admissions counsler.
11.gif

Yes, I sent in my transcript to the counselor and she told me that if I got atleast a minimum 300 on the OAT, with my given GPA It wouldnt be a bad idea to apply.
I just wasn't certain if this would be a good idea though

Its not a good idea. Focus on grades jr year so that you are prepared to take the OAT and apply during the summer before sr year. Unless you are taking some really advaced science courses and thats why your gpa is low, you aren't ready for the OAT now.

Get a good jr year under your belt. Get all A's or A-'s and boost that gpa and with that confidence and proper prepperation nail the OAT.