Applying for 2016 intake to Australia- Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwatts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am currently finishing up my PhD at McMaster in Pharmacology and Physiology. I have a 3.2 GPA and my MCAT scores are 10/11/11. I originally applied for the 2015 intake but my committee screwed me and wouldn't let me finish on time (that is the way of the PhD life haha) so now I am re-applying for the 2016 intake. For the 2015 intake I applied and was accepted into: USyd, Melb, UQ, Griffith, Deakin, and Monash. I suspect that I will get accepted into these again for this year- but now I am faced with the question of which school is the best? USyd and Melb- as great the reputations are... they just don't seem to be financially feasible. With the tuition being over $70,000 and the cost of living being so high- yikes! Putting that aside though- my main priority is RESEARCH. In the future I would like to do a clinical practise and have a research faculty position so as the saying goes "Publish or Perish". I need to go somewhere that has a good reputation for research and possibly some place that has a combined MD/MSc program. I don't mind doing a MSc because the stipend would help supplement the med school tuition and I would be publishing...
Any thoughts guys? In the long run, I suppose I don't care where I end up after med school, either Canada, US, or Australia. Basically whatever will take me haha. I will say that UQ and Griffith seem to be appealing to me but I know there are a lot of hates for UQ.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to do a MD/MSc when you have a PhD? I mean I guess the MSc would be more clinically relevant than your PhD was however you will have plenty of time to publish once you get residency in Canada.

If you want to do research I would definitely consider Melbourne, Sydney and UQ the most strongly as they are the most research intensive medical schools in Australia.

we dont really have combo med and masters programs ... we have combo med and undergrad arts/science or combo med and phd at some schools
but masters is something you tend to do before a phd or in lieu of a phd here ... if you already have a phd and then go get a med degree, thats all you need to get into research in aus