Applying for a staff pharmacist position as a recent grad: Resume vs CV content?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACE Rx

Super Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a recent grad currently working FT as an inpatient clinical pharmacist at a large academic teaching hospital. I am looking to get some additional PRN experience either in an outpatient hospital pharmacy or an independent pharmacy (most likely setting based on most recent openings in the area) to kinda stay updated in the retail setting and make some extra money on the side while still able. I don't have any pharmacist retail experience but have worked 2-3 years combined in both a grocery and a major chain pharmacy as a paid pharmacy intern.

So as far as applying, would a resume or CV be appropriate for these positions? Do I still need to include the rotations, research, presentations, and leadership information since I am still relatively new or can I just omit these and just include the usual education, employment experience, certifications, volunteer, and honors/awards stuff? Also, is a summary two/three-liner paragraph on objective still required or is that mostly obsolete now?

Thank you for your help and would appreciate any advice you all may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Once I got actual work experience I took all of my student rotations off. A CV would still be expected in an academic setting, but for your purposes I would list your pharmacist and tech/intern experience. Try to keep the resume short too, you could easily fit that experience on a single page.

If it's an independent, a simple resume would do. You can probably even get by with cold calling and just meeting the owner. In my experience, with independents (maybe I am luckly), building a relationship from the moment you meet the owner is what will get you in the door.

If it's another hospital, ideally CV. You can take off projects and such after a few years when they will not be relevant any more. That's what I am assuming. I have only worked at one hospital so far.