DO Applying for DO schools this week, with my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patientvomits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a tough semester in the end of Sophomore year, but after some retakes and all A's and B's in all my other semesters, I have a 3.45 cGPA (after grade replacement for three classes.)

I have a 3.35 sGPA, maybe a little higher based on how AACOMAS calculates science GPA.

I have a 29 MCAT (12 on verbal, 8/9 on physical and biology).

I have lots of clinical shadowing, some clinical volunteering (~50 hours) and lots of leadership and volunteer experience in socially-disadvantaged areas.

I have strong letters of recommendation, but will not be able to get a prehealth committee letter of recommendation for this cycle, since its too late.

I was planning on applying this Spring for matriculation in Fall 2016, and applying for DO and MD - as I'm expecting my MCAT will be fairly higher, and my GPA should be more competitive for both by the end of graduation (I'm a senior this year)

But I realized I could theoretically still apply to DO schools this cycle for Fall 2015 matriculation. Is this a good idea with my statistics? I would want to be fairly certain I could get in, because I've heard applying in two cycles is a big negative, is this true?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Quit fussing and start applying stat!!!!
You're competitive for any DO school! Send mine an app, too.

I had a tough semester in the end of Sophomore year, but after some retakes and all A's and B's in all my other semesters, I have a 3.45 cGPA (after grade replacement for three classes.)

I have a 3.35 sGPA, maybe a little higher based on how AACOMAS calculates science GPA.

I have lots of clinical shadowing, some clinical volunteering (~50 hours) and lots of leadership and volunteer experience in socially-disadvantaged areas.

I have strong letters of recommendation, but will not be able to get a prehealth committee letter of recommendation for this cycle, since its too late.

I was planning on applying this Spring for matriculation in Fall 2016, and applying for DO and MD - as I'm expecting my MCAT will be fairly higher, and my GPA should be more competitive for both by the end of graduation (I'm a senior this year)

But I realized I could theoretically still apply to DO schools this cycle for Fall 2015 matriculation. Is this a good idea with my statistics? I would want to be fairly certain I could get in, because I've heard applying in two cycles is a big negative, is this true?

Thank you!

Thank you!
Do you have a physician LOR already lined up (preferably DO), that many DO schools expect to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a MD letter lined up - so some schools like LECOM would be out. I'm really hoping for Touro NY which doesn't mind either way.

I could get a DO letter in a couple months

Like Goro said, your stats are competitive for all the DO schools. However, it is getting late, and if you haven't even submitted your AACOMAS primary yet, I would consider holding off until next cycle. This will also give you plenty of time to shadow a DO and get a letter. A DO letter will help when it comes to DO schools, even those that don't absolutely require such a letter.

I was thinking of applying to DO as well...I'm at 3.3 and 30MCAT.
Are you guys adamant that applying now is just throwing money at schools?

I was thinking of applying to DO as well...I'm at 3.3 and 30MCAT.
Are you guys adamant that applying now is just throwing money at schools?

Your stats are very good for DO schools, and it is still possible to get in if you submit your primary in November. However, I would lean towards an early application next cycle. Assuming your ECs are in place, you are competitive for every DO school.

Just wait a cycle. Your app will be better with more volunteering and a Day 1 submission gives you much better odds to get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
some clinical volunteering (~50 hours)
Just wait a cycle. Your app will be better with more volunteering and a Day 1 submission gives you much better odds to get accepted.
Even though your shadowing may be strong, I also feel you would fare better with more active clinical experience. Though you might get accepted this cycle, you'd have a better shot at the more selective DO programs if you wait and if you make the indicated improvements.

Reactions: 1 user
dude ure good!