Applying for Fall 2014 Now!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legacydoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to apply to podiatry programs for the Fall 2014 year now considering most applications close either in 5 days or at the end of June? Do I even have a chance of getting in at this point considering most seats are probably filled or should I just wait and apply for Fall 2015?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Justt wondering why you waited this long to consider applying?? Your stats are gonna have to be pretty high at this point in the cycle.

Well it depends.
1. Have you shadowed a Podiatrist and do you have a LOR from one? Most schools require a letter from a Podiatrist!
2. Are you ready to start school in the fall?
3. Do you REALLY want to become a Podiatrist? Based on your previous posts, it seems you just want people to call you Doctor. (My observation, could be wrong)

If you answered "yes" to all 3 points, then apply to the bigger schools and see what happens. Depending on what is your MCAT score, you might have a shot at getting wait listed, which is better than a straight rejection (there's usually some movement off wait list in July/early Aug before school starts). As stated above, it's late in the cycle and you're going to need some decent stats to get a seat. You'll have an easier time getting accepted if you apply early for the Fall of 2015.

Personally, if you answered "no" to any of the questions (especially the #3), you would be better suited to wait until you've observed the profession. Last thing you want is to borrow $60K for one year of school and realize you don't like the profession. That's my two cents anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well it depends.
1. Have you shadowed a Podiatrist and do you have a LOR from one? Most schools require a letter from a Podiatrist!
2. Are you ready to start school in the fall?
3. Do you REALLY want to become a Podiatrist? Based on your previous posts, it seems you just want people to call you Doctor. (My observation, could be wrong)

If you answered "yes" to all 3 points, then apply to the bigger schools and see what happens. Depending on what is your MCAT score, you might have a shot at getting wait listed, which is better than a straight rejection (there's usually some movement off wait list in July/early Aug before school starts). As stated above, it's late in the cycle and you're going to need some decent stats to get a seat. You'll have an easier time getting accepted if you apply early for the Fall of 2015.

Personally, if you answered "no" to any of the questions (especially the #3), you would be better suited to wait until you've observed the profession. Last thing you want is to borrow $60K for one year of school and realize you don't like the profession. That's my two cents anyway.

I mostly want to go to osteopathic medical schools but I was looking for backup plans such as podiatry or dentistry because I really enjoy the medical field and don't mind any (most) aspects of it. I do appreciate your replies though.