Applying for Family Medicine Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend was planning on submitting his application within next 2 weeks and just updating the application in October when the scores come for his level 2 CE. However, since he did fail twice level 1, is it better to just apply in October once his level 2 CE score comes in or can he just apply late July and update ERAS? Do programs automatically reject you based on level 1 alone or would they just wait for his other scores and if not give him an interview in Aug then at least give an interview in Oct/Nov? I heard applying late can have the con of having interview slots booked...please HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice or insight would be awesome. I would be grateful. Thank you!

Edit: @FuturePharm21 how many friends do you have?

Your thread in allopathic is different than this one.

Helping a friend out:

My friend is graduating in May from osteopathic medical school, but he will finish his rotations in August. Will he be able to register for the match and apply to allopathic family medicine residency programs if he starts the residency in September? He doesn't mind scrambling. Also, how many family medicine programs should my friend apply too in general? Thanks for the help!

Yeah that was my friend's only question because he was not sure if he could apply on ERAS to allopathic residency programs since although he graduates in May, doesn't finish rotations until August...so he wouldn't be ready to start late June/July 1st but would be ready to start Sept. 1st. If he gets any interviews...he was going to write it on his application.

Last edited:
It's the same person. He wanted to see his options for allopathic and osteopathic residency programs.

Friend should probably plan to apply the following year if he intends to go through either match, as I don't believe the start date is negotiable.

It is also possible to appeal directly to program directors for off cycle spots, or to ask to be considered should someone not show up for their matched seat for one reason or another. To do that, one basically cold calls every program director of every single program that one would even remotely consider joining. Though, I would recommend a nicely drafted letter accompanied by a CV, maybe with transcripts and LORs included, sent via postal mail, rather than a phone call. I've heard of that working before.

Reactions: 1 user
People starting off cycle is not unheard of but usually a result of research/finishing a Ph.D thesis. If there are issues with graduation dates -- have your "friend" talk with the Dean so this issue can be covered in the MSPE letter. Your "friend" can consider applying this year -- worst that could happen is they're told "No" and not given an interview -- best case is they get an interview and get a chance to 'splain it in person. Heck, your "friend" should consider audition rotations and really smoke 'em -- may be helpful --