Applying for financial aid decreases chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most medical school websites say that they do not factor in financial need when it comes to admission.

But I remember when I was applying for undergraduate schools a lot of my friends didn't fill out the FAFSA and didn't apply for aid for their first year in school because they were scared that it would affect their chances (this was also back in the day when the economy was REALLY unstable...I realize it's still unstable, but more unstable than it is now).

Has anyone heard anything similar about applying to medical school? Or do they just not care since they know you're going down under a lot of debt anyway (unless you're filthy rich already)?

Members don't see this ad.

what are you talking about?

You're going to be submitting your application before you can even begin to complete the FAFSA. In most cases you probably won't be able to complete financial aid until after you're accepted. Regardless of how particular schools do it, I haven't heard of any that take financial aid status into consideration for acceptance decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH. I didn't know you turned in financial aid after your decision, in which case my question is baseless.

Sorry about that, and thank you!

They supposedly cannot discriminate against race, social status, religion, and things that generally can't be helped.

They supposedly cannot discriminate against race, social status, religion, and things that generally can't be helped.

1) I recall that for undergrad, admissions to most institutions, except the very top, were not need-blind. There is no law against need-influenced admissions.

2) Even though you do not fill you financial aid forms, AMCAS does include a spot for family income and whether you wish to be considered disadvantaged.

The vast majority of medical students need some form of financial aid.

I think most schools are "need blind" in their assessment for financial aid. Your financial situation won't affect your chances to get admitted.

I'm pretty sure a few schools leave out the 'religion' part of that non-discrimination clause.

But yeah, med schools don't care about your need. Unless you're an international student. Then it might play a role.

I'm pretty sure a few schools leave out the 'religion' part of that non-discrimination clause.

But yeah, med schools don't care about your need. Unless you're an international student. Then it might play a role.

They aren't discriminating against a religion, they are discriminating FOR a religion.

Sorry I was talking about Public schools. Not private religious institutions.