Applying for HPSP during 1st year of dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAFLOH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After speaking with an Army recruiter I have decided to apply for the HPSP scholarship to cover my second, third, and fourth years of dental school. Even though I am pretty much set on applying, I am wondering if it will be difficult or very time-consuming to fulfill the scholarship requirements (like the physical) while I am in school. Have any of you applied for the 3-year scholarship during your first year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for the Air Force HPSP right now and from the people I've spoken to it's not time consuming at all. I emailed a graduating student at the school I'm starting in the fall and she said that you literally do nothing for them while you're in school. There is a training school but that's after graduation.

Yup, it's very low key. The physical is a one-day one time thing. The only other thing even remotely related to HPSP was receiving a $400 allowance for uniform/clothing (which I spent on a trip to Italy).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying currently to dental school, when do I contact my areas recruter and get the ball rolling. I submit my application in two weeks, and take the dat in august. do Ineed to be accepted to dental school to apply? I just want to make it happen and pay for as much as possible, so any help is greatly needed.

I am applying currently to dental school, when do I contact my areas recruter and get the ball rolling. I submit my application in two weeks, and take the dat in august. do Ineed to be accepted to dental school to apply? I just want to make it happen and pay for as much as possible, so any help is greatly needed.
The way I understand it is you can apply but you won't be considered unless you have a minimum DAT/GPA and have been accepted. Contact your recruiter because you may be able to apply now and then upon acceptance to dental school you're application can be considered seriouly